Under 20s

eusabio

I'm a bit concerned about number of games that our under 20s are losing as we seem to be putting out teams composed of 14 & 15 year olds. What has happened to the 16 to 19 year olds that should be playing at this level? Some like Mckirdy and Buchanan have had a taste of first team duty but they are not regular members of the squad, so what has happened to that age group?  

LarrysRightFoot

I'm a bit concerned about number of games that our under 20s are losing as we seem to be putting out teams composed of 14 & 15 year olds. What has happened to the 16 to 19 year olds that should be playing at this level? Some like Mckirdy and Buchanan have had a taste of first team duty but they are not regular members of the squad, so what has happened to that age group?

Results at this level do not matter.

It's purley about development and playing 15/16 year olds against the likes of Andy Driver in non competitive environment will help their development no end.

I think there will be an improvement next season though.

With levein back at the club the whole youth set-up will of been evaluated and currently being restructured.

With levein overseeing the set-up their is nothing to be concerned about (based on what he done at utd/Scotland).

Dalstonjambo

Without being an expert (i'd wait for posters like FF for a proper answer) I'd imagine its 2 fold.

1) Any player over 16 who even had the potential to be a first team player was moved into the first team squad last year so that wipes out the age groups you mention.

2) The club was completely 'hollowed out' pre and during administration. Levein has said repeatedly the youth system needs to be rebuilt. I'd expect significant funds and improvements to the academy over the next 2-3 years.

Footballfirst

Jordan McGhee and Sam Nicholson have mostly been with the first team squad

The following U20 players have all been out on loan at various times and thus only available for a limited number of games: Gary Oliver (Stenhousemuir), Liam Gordon (Arbroath), Robbie Buchanan (Cowdenbeath), Liam Smith (East Fife), Angus Beith (Stirling Albion), Ally Roy (Preston Ath), Liam Henderson (Preston Ath), Aaron Scott (Preston Ath - now released).

The two full timers from the U17s squad, Sean McKirdy and Ian Smith have been pushed on with the U20s.   That is what happened when Walker, Holt, and D Smith came through. The U19 team at the time had a poor season before blossoming in the following couple of years.

The games have been compressed at the end of the season, catching up with postponed games and bringing forward a couple of fixtures so that the Devl League season finishes at the the same time as the first team.  Their last game is on Tuesday 28th Apr, instead of 12th May as originally scheduled.  That has meant two games a week and vastly different sides fielded.

Without being an expert (i'd wait for posters like FF for a proper answer) I'd imagine its 2 fold.

1) Any player over 16 who even had the potential to be a first team player was moved into the first team squad last year so that wipes out the age groups you mention.

2) The club was completely 'hollowed out' pre and during administration. Levein has said repeatedly the youth system needs to be rebuilt. I'd expect significant funds and improvements to the academy over the next 2-3 years.

Correct ... I know that the youth scouting network has been really ramped up and next seasons signing targets are being identified.  When you hear the money clubs are asking for say a 13 year old a wide scouting network is going to be really essential.

Archived