Vegas

His name is

His name is

Of to vegas next Monday for my brother in laws wedding (hibby btw), any do's or dont's for places to go for eats, drinks, shows etc or general tips? we're staying in the Monte Carlo which is quite central on the strip. Cheers

Loved the food in Outback (great steaks) , went there twice on our 3 nights in Vegas.

Highly recommended.

snipes-says-always-bet-on-black-thumb.jp

........or red......I forget which.........

I automatically hate you out of pure jealousy.

Have a great time. I hear that Britney Spears puts on a good show.

I automatically hate you out of pure jealousy.

Have a great time. I hear that Britney Spears puts on a good show.

This i'm so going next year when i sell my flat 

I'm thinking about going later this year any tips would be appreciated, I had a google and was thinking about trying something called battlefield Vegas. You get picked up in a Huey and taken to a ranch/place to fire a variety of guns along with a barbecue looks good

Private Womble

Don't go to Gonzalez e Gonzalez in New York New York, my sister got food poisoning 2 days before her wedding :lol:

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Get a Fat Tuesday. Nothing better than strolling down the strip with a frozen vodka bevvy. They are bloody strong :lol:

I'd recommend going to see Elton John if he is playing at this time of year and also Beatles Love. Brilliant shows.

For a show with a bit of everything I would recommend Absinth, it's in the big tent in front of Ceasers.

Restaurants wise I would recommend any in the Cosmo - especially Jaleo and Holsteins. Gordon Ramsey pub and grill is also good in Ceasers - craft steak in mgm. And any Wolfgang puck restaurants for decent Italian food at an ok price.

If planning to go to the Canyon by helicopter I would go with Maverick over Sundance - did them both and felt Maverick was just that bit better.

If doing a bit of shopping at the outlets then I would go to the North mall rather than South.

For an eye opening experience take a visit downtown at night to Fremont St - live music and a few interesting street acts!!

Whatever you choose to do I am sure it will be great as Vegas is an amazing place, been 3 out the last 4 years. However doing Miami this year but already getting withdrawals realising I am missing out and threads like this don't help !

For a show with a bit of everything I would recommend Absinth, it's in the big tent in front of Ceasers.

Restaurants wise I would recommend any in the Cosmo - especially Jaleo and Holsteins. Gordon Ramsey pub and grill is also good in Ceasers - craft steak in mgm. And any Wolfgang puck restaurants for decent Italian food at an ok price.

If planning to go to the Canyon by helicopter I would go with Maverick over Sundance - did them both and felt Maverick was just that bit better.

If doing a bit of shopping at the outlets then I would go to the North mall rather than South.

For an eye opening experience take a visit downtown at night to Fremont St - live music and a few interesting street acts!!

Whatever you choose to do I am sure it will be great as Vegas is an amazing place, been 3 out the last 4 years. However doing Miami this year but already getting withdrawals realising I am missing out and threads like this don't help !

Great sum up of Vegas.

I was there in November for 10 days.

Beatles Love was incredible. Duelling Pianos in NYNY or Harrahs, X Rocks Burlesque Show was good aswell.

Incredible place. Strip Bar's aren't too bad either.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

As mentioned craft steak and Wolfgang puck, both at are excellent. Craft steak's a bit pricier.

Just back and spent a week there. It is absolutely great fun (I've been before). However it is VERY expensive and the exchange rate is not helping. Here are some tips;

• Use happy hours in the main strip hotels usually for a couple of hours between 3pm and 7pm - normal drink prices are very expensive $8 for a beer and $10 for a "cocktail"
  • bars on the strip tend to be a bit less expensive places like Cantina Diablo and Cabo Cabo are great fun.
  • Off- strip bars are much less expensive, look for something you fancy and take a cab. Don't try walking - everything is much much further than is seems!
  • Go to the new area leading from the strip to the "High Roller" (Big wheel) at the North end of the strip. Lots of fantastic new bars and resto's.
  • On Saturday night, get down to Freemont St. It is a fraction of the price of the strip and absolutely jumping. Find the bar "Hogs and Heffers" I guarantee one of the most mental and fun experiences of your life. It's the real-life Coyote Ugly bar and much more hard core than the movie (in a good way :smoking: )
  • The major hotel bars all have fantastic live music. Planet Hollywood lobby bar is outstanding. Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville is also a must.
  • For restaurants, try PF Changs in Planet Hollywood - it's oriental fusion like you've never tasted - I have taken many people and every single one has said "outstanding"
  • If you fancy a short excusrion, the Hoover Dam is worth a visit
  • If you fancy a game of golf, we played at the Las Vegas GC. $79 for a round, clubs, buggy's 6 balls and a bag of tees. And $6 pitchers in the clubhouse!
  • Use the vouchers, especially for free courses/drink in restaurants and bars it will keep your costs down.

Have a great time

Go to MGM Grand and take a camera - you  can get a  picture in front of the boxing ring (in the entrance lobby ) as a good souvenir.

Try the Gun Store for an interesting experience - bit pricey but if you never fired a gun and fancy something out of the ordinary.

Auld Reekin'

Of to vegas next Monday for my brother in laws wedding (hibby btw), any do's or dont's for places to go for eats, drinks, shows etc or general tips? we're staying in the Monte Carlo which is quite central on the strip. Cheers

Insist that Elvis conducts the solemn and dignified ceremony.

Insist that Elvis conducts the solemn and dignified ceremony.

LOL. Just met a couple of friends last week who did the dirty in LV - married by Elvis. They loved it :shocked3:

Bungalow Bill

Spice Market Buffet in Planet Hollywood Hotel is excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going in September for a week with five mates...we seem to have settled in to a two yearly cycle of going. Can't wait. Staying at harrahs this time round.

2 of us going to new york then vegas in october. Really looking forward to it.

Done that holiday 3 times all in differerent months. Been August, September and October. The difference in doing it in October is you really need to consider completely different clothes for each city. It was jumpers and coats in NY then shorts and T-shirts in LV. Makes your 23kg (assuming going with United) fill up quickly.

fabienleclerq

If cirque de soleil is on go see it and one restaurant not mentioned is the rotating one on top of the stratosphere, food and service were superb.

Good tips here, was in Vegas last year and going back for 2 weeks in June, I here stratosphere hotel has a good cocktail/drinks deal when you eat there. Im going to hire a car this time and drive out to hoover dam. I did Mavericks helicopter into the canyon for a champagne breakfast which was cheaper earlier in the morning. Went to see Celine Dion in Ceasers and bought the cheaper seats 3 tiers up got moved down to $300 seats just at the start to fill up the arena ;) Nice bar in the north outlet which has over 150 beers to try ;) If travelling up and down the strip get the deuce much cheaper and can get  a pass for a few days fairly cheap

This is going to sound odd but Circus Circus (just about the tackiest hotel in Vegas) has an absolutely world class steak house in the middle of it.

This is going to sound odd but Circus Circus (just about the tackiest hotel in Vegas) has an absolutely world class steak house in the middle of it.

Also if you are a film buff it also has the revolving bar from Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas. 

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Go to MGM Grand and take a camera - you can get a picture in front of the boxing ring (in the entrance lobby ) as a good souvenir.

Try the Gun Store for an interesting experience - bit pricey but if you never fired a gun and fancy something out of the ordinary.

Caesars Palace have their boxing ring sitting outside the hotel. I got a photo at it last year. Some boxing greats have fought in it.

heartandsoul

Done that holiday 3 times all in differerent months. Been August, September and October. The difference in doing it in October is you really need to consider completely different clothes for each city. It was jumpers and coats in NY then shorts and T-shirts in LV. Makes your 23kg (assuming going with United) fill up quickly.

If you're a certain age, I'd recommend Matt Goss at Ceasers. Though don't believe the bit about him coming out to join you for a drink after, my mate spoke to the bouncer, he does come out sometimes, but generally it's just a rouse to get you to stay in their bar.

Oh, and Freemont Street too.

PsychocAndy

We are going in Jan/Feb for 4 days, then onto Cancun for 10 days. I have no interest in Vegas, but it's a family holiday, so I'll have to grin and bare it. I have told them I'm not wasting a day to go to see a big hole in the ground. I'll just find a dinner and stay there that day. Now THAT is my type of holiday.

We are going in Jan/Feb for 4 days, then onto Cancun for 10 days. I have no interest in Vegas, but it's a family holiday, so I'll have to grin and bare it. I have told them I'm not wasting a day to go to see a big hole in the ground. I'll just find a dinner and stay there that day. Now THAT is my type of holiday.

Not wasting a day seeing a hole in the ground?

Is someone a bit scared of the helicopter?

We were planning Thailand next year but the bird suddenly came out with Vegas yesterday. Can't say I was disappointed as I had been reading this thread the day before.

Now thinking a week in San Francisco then a week in Vegas. Flights to San Fran seem very expensive though.

heartsfc_fan

We were planning Thailand next year but the bird suddenly came out with Vegas yesterday. Can't say I was disappointed as I had been reading this thread the day before.

Now thinking a week in San Francisco then a week in Vegas. Flights to San Fran seem very expensive though.

Perhaps fly into Vegas first. Isn't too expensive.

Then get an internal flight when there to SF.

I fly to SF several times a year and flying in/out at the weekend is expensive. Midweek flights are usually much cheaper (around ?750 return with BA from Edinburgh).

PsychocAndy

Not wasting a day seeing a hole in the ground?

Is someone a bit scared of the helicopter?

Not a bit scared of a helicopter, a lot scared of a helicopter.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Not a bit scared of a helicopter, a lot scared of a helicopter.

I loved the helicopter ride to the Canyon. A great experience. It did move about a bit in the air though.

I loved the helicopter ride to the Canyon. A great experience. It did move about a bit in the air though.

I was in Vegas as part of a ridiculously expensive multi city holiday I did a few years ago so Kuoni threw in a few freebies and upgrades. The one in Vegas was a night time helicopter flight over Vegas. I got the seat next to the pilot so could see down through the glass part of the floor. Amazing views of the city like you see in films and TV shows. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hotel recommendations?

Depends on budget really...

Stayed at Aria last year which was brilliant though. It's towards the top end but still cheaper than Venetian/Wynn/Bellagio (and newer and nicer than the Bellagio IMO)

heartsfc_fan

I'm in Vegas as we speak.

We were on a budget when booking and also staying for 10 nights so some for the fancier hotels like the Bellagio, Aria and Venetian were out of our range.

We are staying at the Tropicana which is located next to the MGM Grand. Its a smaller hotel and not as busy but we like that. Staff are good and so is the food.

His name is

I'm in Vegas as we speak.

We were on a budget when booking and also staying for 10 nights so some for the fancier hotels like the Bellagio, Aria and Venetian were out of our range.

We are staying at the Tropicana which is located next to the MGM Grand. Its a smaller hotel and not as busy but we like that. Staff are good and so is the food.

Check out the TixTonight booths along the strip for cheap show and restaurant tickets, we got a comedy show in Planet Hollywood for $20 which was great. Also $3 for 50% off food vouchers at Planet Dailies (Planet Hollywood), Planet Hollywood (caesars mall), Diablos (monte Carlo) + loads of other restaurants. The Asian restaurant in Monte Carlo also does a $10 2 course lunch which is great.

Downtown is well worth a visit, a bit more relaxed crowd and cheaper than the strip.

If you like Mexican, javiers in the aria is great.

Aria or Cosmopolitan.

Mate at work is off on a stag do next week (20 of them) to the Cosmopolitan.

His name is

I was in the aria for food and drink and in the Cosmo for drinks, liked the feel of aria better but lots of tidy birds in the Cosmo. Both are in a great location and I would have thought around the same price?

Archived