What the official Motherwell statement actually says...

Mr Sifter

"Mark McGhee Agrees To Stay.

The Club are delighted that it has succesfully concluded negotiations with Mark McGhee and he remains Motherwell manager"

That, to me, reads....

"Mark McGhee Agrees To Stay (as nothing has changed yet)

The Club are delighted that it has succesfully concluded negotiations with Mark McGhee. We are not saying he has signed anything, but all negatitaions have indeed been succesfully concluded, there is no need for any more, we managed to say all we wanted to say. He remains Motherwell manager, because he still has a year left.

Nothing at all has been signed. Nothing has actually changed.

Thank you, and FHW"

Why, 5 hours after appearing on their site, is there still no direct quotes?

Cos nothing has been signed. And whilst that is the case, anything could happen.

Cardiac Rucksack

We would all probably like this to the case. I would think we havae less than a 5% chance of getting mchee now.

At what time did this appear?

Im sure it hit their site abou 6 o clock mate.

Spellczech

I agree with you on this one. We must remember that McGhee has to play his cards to win too - If Hearts want him, we?ll have to show we want him. IMO Vlad ought to have got his ass over here to do the interview or at least chartered a flight a la Murray, because a trip to Kaunas is a hell of a long way to go for a job interview...

If McGhee rocks up keen as mustard then he has a weaker hand when the deal gets hammered out. Play hard to get and you get a better deal...

mcghee came off a flight bound for lithuania yesterday,so something has changed his mind,but as yet no deal has been struck with motherwell,they are putting him in a corner by announcing he is staying,it might backfire bigtime,also believe wee leitch is not a happy bunny,as he has never been contacted by mcghee on the latest developments.for what its worth i think there is still a chance he will become the next hearts manager.

mcghee came off a flight bound for lithuania yesterday,so something has changed his mind,but as yet no deal has been struck with motherwell,they are putting him in a corner by announcing he is staying,it might backfire bigtime,also believe wee leitch is not a happy bunny,as he has never been contacted by mcghee on the latest developments.for what its worth i think there is still a chance he will become the next hearts manager.

If that happens how many of the posters will turn again and say"ah yes,I always wanted him".

brellierlegend
"The Manager told the press" = We lifted the quotes right out the Sun and Daily Record.

lets be honest though. If Mcghee signs for Hearts now after telling the press his reasons for staying at Motherwell it would be a quite a snake like thing to do.

Not sure if I would want him at Hearts because what if Smeltic came calling?

Dr. Bapswent
lets be honest though. If Mcghee signs for Hearts now after telling the press his reasons for staying at Motherwell it would be a quite a snake like thing to do.

Not sure if I would want him at Hearts because what if Smeltic came calling?

Whats the differnece in what we are doing to Motherwell?

We are still in the position of losing players/staff to clubs like the OF. That hasnt changed, no matter how much Vlad has said we are not.

Its something we need to accept.

Right now, a manager like McGhee woukld be a step up for us, at least for a season or 2 of stability. Even if he eventually went to Celtic.

I have no problems with realising this.

We are a selling club in that respect. To think otherwise would mean continual dissapointment.

brellierlegend
Whats the differnece in what we are doing to Motherwell?

We are still in the position of losing players/staff to clubs like the OF. That hasnt changed, no matter how much Vlad has said we are not.

Its something we need to accept.

Right now, a manager like McGhee woukld be a step up for us, at least for a season or 2 of stability. Even if he eventually went to Celtic.

I have no problems with realising this.

We are a selling club in that respect. To think otherwise would mean continual dissapointment.

We are approaching Motherwell legally to try and get their manager. THey would receive compensation.

The difference I feel in this scenario is that Mcghee from his quotes today has commited himself to Motherwell for next season. If he was to turn around tomo and say actually screw that I am off to Hearts the mans integrity would have to be called into question I think.

Dr. Bapswent
We are approaching Motherwell leagally to try and get their manager. THey would receive compensation.

The difference I feel in this scenario is that Mcghee from his quotes today has commited himself to Motherwell for next season. If he was to turn around tomo and say actually screw that I am off to Hearts the mans integrity would have to be called into question I think.

You could only say this after knowing the terms of the deals. what has been promised.

We all know Motherwell are in Europe, but this is a one off.

Hearts could mount a more sustained challenge.

Also transfer budgets etc.

It doesnt all have to be about the money in his own pocket, as I think his current u-turn in favour of Motherwell has shown.

We are approaching Motherwell legally to try and get their manager. THey would receive compensation.

I kind of agree

If McGhee had left Motherwell yesterday he might have been grudglingly wished good luck

If McGhee leaves Motherwell now - he looks flaky in the eyes of Motherwell fans, and flaky in the eyes of Hearts fans. His credibility is reduced

I dont doubt Hearts are still fighting for him but McGhee has painted himself into a bit of a corner if he still might consider a move to Hearts. The type of things he is quoted as saying actually now make it difficult for him to justify moving to Hearts due to another change of heart

brellierlegend
You could only say this after knowing the terms of the deals. what has been promised.

We all know Motherwell are in Europe, but this is a one off.

Hearts could mount a more sustained challenge.

Also transfer budgets etc.

It doesnt all have to be about the money in his own pocket, as I think his current u-turn in favour of Motherwell has shown.

What I mean though has nothing to do with Europe, pay deals, transfer budgets etc etc.

I just think that as MM has stated today he is staying with Motherwell and therefore rejecting Hearts it would be rather low of him to come out later today or tomo and say that he is actually coming to us.

Up until now I think he has not really commited either way but today he definately has so in my opinion we should move on! Quickly.

Archived