Working Mens Clubs

systemx

The Clouds/Americano thread got me thinking.Did anybody else go out to Social Clubs in the Seventies and early Eighties.Most places were mobbed with great bands loads of talent and cheap booze.Tranent Labour on a Thurs would start the weekend(Grab a Granny ha-ha probably a lot younger than me now.Take your pick from the following for the rest of the weekend.Tranent Legion,Pans Labour,Billys Bar(Pans)Wallyford Club,Musselburgh Wiremill and Store clubs.Woodburn,Easthouses Rosewell and Gimerton Miners Welfares.

Even in Tranent we were spoiled for choice with 7 different clubs you could go to to before getting the last bus uptown (Not to mention the 9 pubs)

The Clouds/Americano thread got me thinking.Did anybody else go out to Social Clubs in the Seventies and early Eighties.Most places were mobbed with great bands loads of talent and cheap booze.Tranent Labour on a Thurs would start the weekend(Grab a Granny ha-ha probably a lot younger than me now.Take your pick from the following for the rest of the weekend.Tranent Legion,Pans Labour,Billys Bar(Pans)Wallyford Club,Musselburgh Wiremill and Store clubs.Woodburn,Easthouses Rosewell and Gimerton Miners Welfares.

Even in Tranent we were spoiled for choice with 7 different clubs you could go to to before getting the last bus uptown (Not to mention the 9 pubs)

Can't say that nowadays, Miners, Legion and Labour club all long gone, only 4 left now that I can think of.

Craigshill Social Club was a regular haunt in my younger days. Bit of a dive really but cheap beer and almost all day Sunday opening made up for it.

Can't say that nowadays, Miners, Legion and Labour club all long gone, only 4 left now that I can think of.

loanhead, penicuik, bilston, woodburn and wallyford. 5 off the top of my head. unless i'm unaware of any of them closing

Glamorgan Jambo

The Ferranti Club in Gorgie was always good for cheap booze. Can't remember much else about the place. And the LRT club in Shrubhill was pretty good also.

loanhead, penicuik, bilston, woodburn and wallyford. 5 off the top of my head. unless i'm unaware of any of them closing

I meant in the Town of Tranent

Archived