New Hearts boss to decide on future of unsettled Calum Elliot

Dr. Bapswent

Dr. Bapswent

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/New-Hearts-boss-to-decide.4119621.jp

By BARRY ANDERSON

ONE of the first assignments facing the new Hearts manager will be to determine the immediate future of unsettled striker Calum Elliot.

The new incumbent will have the final say on whether Elliot can leave, which would likely be on a season-long loan if it all. Dunfermline were credited with an interest in the player over the weekend, however, that has been dismissed by his agent.

Mark McGhee is Hearts' first choice to replace interim manager Stephen Frail but, with several issues relating to the job still unresolved, an appointment is not expected until next month.

Elliot will wait until a manager is in place before requesting clarity on his situation. He has endured an inconsistent season amidst criticism from supporters and recently admitted he is considering leaving Tynecastle, where his contract runs until 2011.

His representative, Jim McArthur, said today: "I haven't had any interest from Dunfermline. We'll have to speak to the new manager so nothing his been decided with Calum. I'll make a point of talking to the new man first.

"Any new manager must be given his place to decide what he wants to do and Calum is happy with that. Things are on hold for now and we'll discuss the situation once the managerial situation is clarified."

McGhee has confirmed Saturday's Evening News story that he requires certain assurances from Vladimir Romanov before he will leave Motherwell for Hearts.

A yearly salary of around ?375,000 has already been mooted but McGhee wants a clause in his contract stating that he will have sole responsibility for team selection. He is also keen to have overall control of all football-related matters.

After Motherwell refused Hearts' request to speak to McGhee officially, he said: "I'm entitled to hear what they have to say. I will, of course, only do that with Motherwell's permission and after the two clubs have agreed on compensation.

"The prospect of leading Motherwell into Europe is a massive incentive for me to stay at Fir Park. Having the most brilliant bunch of players, a fantastic chairman and supporters who have backed me fully this season will cause me to think long and hard about any decision I make.

"Hearts are a great club and any manager would be thrilled at the opportunity to manage them. But their recent issues are well documented and I would require clarification on a number of those issues before I could even consider moving."

Hearts remain confident of luring McGhee to Tynecastle in time for pre-season training beginning on June 30. He is willing to resign from his position at Motherwell provided he gets the assurances from Romanov. However, as the Evening News revealed on Saturday, Motherwell will claim over ?100,000 compensation for breach of contract in any case.

Any manager worth his salt will see CLUM is infact garbage

even a woman would acknowledge his crapness

The Future's Maroon

Not really a decision to be made - I heard that Tynecastle School are looking for a new Kitchen Porter - that'll do him?

Parzionale

Dunfermline were credited with an interest in the player over the weekend, however, that has been dismissed by his agent.

Thank **** for that! :rolleyes:

Guest GhostHunter
Dunfermline were credited with an interest in the player over the weekend, however, that has been dismissed by his agent.

Thank **** for that! :rolleyes:

I bet Sieb Dykstra's chuffed

:D

Even Motherwell fans thought he wasn't good enough so that says it all for me. We need a clearout from top to bottom and Elliot, along with Kestutis Ivaskevicius should be the first in a long line of overpaid underacheivers to be booted out, coaches aswell. I still don't know why a jambo through and through like Donald Park, is working with that shower down in Leith, bringing through young promising players, thus selling them on and making money when he should be doing that for us, he'd be the first one IN the door next season for me, never mind players!

Archived