U17 Academy Players Retained/Released

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

A couple of tweets from U17s this evening.  I assume there will be more.

Lewis Moore has been given a full time contract for next season.
Lewis Moore ?@_lewismoore_ 4m4 minutes ago

Delighted to be offered a full time contract at Hearts! Buzzing to get started! Exciting times ahead

I also see that Andy Taylor, who played a few times for the U20s earlier in the season, has been released.
Andy Taylor ?@andytaylor_123 11m11 minutes ago

Had a good 2 years at Hearts and met some of the best people. Gutted to leave and will miss all the boys

Footballfirst

Keeper Kelby Mason is another getting a full time contract.

well done to Ma boi @kelby_mason on getting offered full time contract at hearts

Kieran Somerville leaving.

Had a amazing 3 years with the hearts boys sad to be going

Early decisions made by the coaching staff. Don't know much about these guys so for the guys released I hope they have other things lined up and you never know what the future holds.

Footballfirst

FF - what are your thoughts on the players retained/released?

I don't know who, or how many, are being retained or released. I've just picked up on some tweets.

I'm not surprised by those named thus far. 

Kelby is a good keeper who has the knack of bringing off the occasional unbelievable save. There are no full time U20 keepers at the club at the moment.

Lewis is a right winger, fairly direct, rather than tricky, with decent pace. Has scored a decent share of goals for the U17s. He's also works hard up and down the park. 

Footballfirst

Daniel Baur the latest one to get a contract

Been offered a professional contract at Hearts. Best news in a long time, hard work pays off.

Again not a surprise, although I think it took a kick up the backside a year ago to make him knuckle down and put the work in.

disgruntledfan

Leon Jones has been retained but sadly Greg Paige has been released. Good luck to all lads staying or going and all the best 

the big show

Big well done to Kelby mason and all the rest of the boys who have been given contracts , hope all the boys released can get themselves sorted up somewhere .

Fxxx the SPFL

Sadly it's always the case that all the youth players don't make the grade but our good wishes go with them hope they get something else but there will always be one good un that slips through the net.

jamboinglasgow

Leon Jones has been retained but sadly Greg Paige has been released. Good luck to all lads staying or going and all the best 

Good to see Leon Jones getting kept on after a horrible time with injury. Sad to see others gone but sadly that is football. Hopefully they go on to other clubs and continue their career.

Valar Morghulis

Sadly it's always the case that all the youth players don't make the grade but our good wishes go with them hope they get something else but there will always be one good un that slips through the net.

There's three at H1b5 currently (Cummings, Duthie, and Dunsmore), potentially four if Aron Scott fulfills his potential.

I'm confident our new regime will be more diligent.

Footballfirst

The contracts offered this evening would leave next season's U20s as follows:

(Note that there could be further players to be released or retained before the end of the season)

Keeper

Kelby Mason

Defenders

Jordan McGhee

Liam Smith

Leon Jones

Daniel Baur (will still be U17)

Liam Henderson

Midfield

Angus Beith

Sean McKirdy

Ian Smith

Nathan Flanagan

Dale Baxter (unsure if Dale is currently full time)

Lewis Moore

Forwards

Robbie Buchanan

Ally Roy

Valar Morghulis

The contracts offered this evening would leave next season's U20s as follows:

(Note that there could be further players to be released or retained before the end of the season)

Keeper

Kelby Mason

Defenders

Jordan McGhee

Liam Smith

Leon Jones

Daniel Baur (will still be U17)

Liam Henderson

Midfield

Angus Beith

Sean McKirdy

Ian Smith

Nathan Flanagan

Dale Baxter

Lewis Moore

Forwards

Robbie Buchanan

Ally Roy

What's Dale Baxter like as a player? Was he around last year?

Footballfirst

What's Dale Baxter like as a player? Was he around last year?

I'm unsure if Dale currently has a full time contract.  He only joined the club at the new year as a "Hearts Initiative" (Academy) player.  He is still eligible for the U17s but hasn't actually played with them as yet, but has been with the U20s regularly, hence I included him in the list above.

He's a centre midfielder but I haven't really seen enough of him to make a judgement as to how good he is or is capable of becoming.

Valar Morghulis

I'm unsure if Dale has a full time contract.  He only joined the club at the new year.  He is still eligible for the U17s but hasn't actually played with them as yet, but has been with the U20s regularly.

He's a centre midfielder but I haven't really seen enough of him to make a judgement as to how good he is or is capable of becoming.

Cheers for that! Interesting that he's been with the U20s and not his age group. The coaching staff must see something in him. Do you know where he played before joining us?

Footballfirst

Cheers for that! Interesting that he's been with the U20s and not his age group. The coaching staff must see something in him. Do you know where he played before joining us?

I think he was with Shotts YMCA boys club.

Valar Morghulis

I think he was with Shotts YMCA boys club.

Thanks again. I enjoy reading your posts.

loveofthegame

Great to see Daniel Baur who I've watched play for Hearts since he was 8 or 9 offered a full time contract

Footballfirst

Is Callum Morrison staying?

Callumn (note the spelling) is an U16 player this season, therefore can still play for the U17s next season, whether or not he gets a full time contract.

Jambof3tornado

Callumn (note the spelling) is an U16 player this season, therefore can still play for the U17s next season, whether or not he gets a full time contract.

He's a friend of juniors and has posted on FB about signing a professional contract so I assume he's staying too.

Footballfirst

He's a friend of juniors and has posted on FB about signing a professional contract so I assume he's staying too.

That's good to hear.  I like to see two or three of the U17s going full time as it really has a significant impact at that level.

Anyone know how the boy jake Hutchinson has been getting on in the under 20's?

Footballfirst

I'm now unsure about the spelling of his name.  The last couple of team lines have had it as Callumn as has his twitter account, although his FB account is Callum.

Some friends on FB aslso use Callumn.

From his FB account

actually so delighted to been asked to sign my professional contract and looking forward to going to stay in endinbrugh soon

Futurejambo

Great to see the next batch of youngsters to sign full time. Feel for those who miss out, Greg Page is one I enjoyed watching over the years, hopefully those who missed out get new clubs and continue following the dream !

Winston Ingram

Leon Jones is a talented guy by all accounts. During injury he was back at school, doing (and doing very well) in all his exams. Obviously hope the injury hasn't set him back too much and he goes on to fulfil his earlier potential but seems to have his head screwed on and will have plenty opportunities if not. The club has also been really good with him during what has been a difficult time. 

Baxter was signed from Shotts around the middle of the season. Can't say I have seen much which backed up that move but time will tell.

Young Flanagan is an interesting case. Bit of a boy wonder from a very early age when a schoolboy on the south side of Glasgow, left winger, very very good at times but (maybe typically for his position) erratic. If he screws the nut, he has the ability to be a real prospect. Think he came on as a sub, or was certainly on the bench, for first team over the winter. 

Kelby I know is rated very highly as a keeper but we still need a bit more depth in that area. Think CL alluded to same very early on when discussing the academy. 

theAlvasection

Played with Callum's Dad and two uncles,All good players.Lets hope he turns out as good as the last Alva boy to play for the Hearts.

This. :thumb:

Good also to see the attitude of those being released, and how they appear to be handling themselves. No toys out the pram, no tantrums, just disappointment (naturally) handled with quiet dignity.

The man who loved beer

This. :thumb:

Good also to see the attitude of those being released, and how they appear to be handling themselves. No toys out the pram, no tantrums, just disappointment (naturally) handled with quiet dignity.

Good to see the club handling it properly too and letting them all know nice and early. Not always the case.

Ayr jam tart

What the young boys need 2 realise it's not the end of the world for them they could make it at other clubs and maybe be playing in top league in few years

There's three at H1b5 currently (Cummings, Duthie, and Dunsmore), potentially four if Aron Scott fulfills his potential.

I'm confident our new regime will be more diligent.

Was it not BDO that released those 3? Not sure if any "football people" had input.

Valar Morghulis

Was it not BDO that released those 3? Not sure if any "football people" had input.

Not sure, to be honest. 

Toxteth O'Grady

Daniel Baur the latest one to get a contract

Been offered a professional contract at Hearts. Best news in a long time, hard work pays off.

Again not a surprise, although I think it took a kick up the backside a year ago to make him knuckle down and put the work in.

This is a pleasing post, the new regime has made a positive difference and the players know it and believe in it.

Footballfirst

Cummings and Dunsmore were released after their u17 season without being offered full time contracts. Duthie was rightly released mid season as an u17 following a disciplinary matter.

Archived