Wireless connection dropping out - Help

Jamie_the_Jambo

Jamie_the_Jambo

I have 2 PCs connected to my wireless router (BT Home hub). However, one of the PCs keeps dropping out after a few minutes.

I have checked the wireless card and it seems to be working okay (however Im suspicious).

Anybody had anything similar ?

This also happened with my old router incidently.

Help appreciated.

Jamie

flecktimus
I have 2 PCs connected to my wireless router (BT Home hub). However, one of the PCs keeps dropping out after a few minutes.

I have checked the wireless card and it seems to be working okay (however Im suspicious).

Anybody had anything similar ?

This also happened with my old router incidently.

Help appreciated.

Jamie

Get rid of the wireless and use a plug in system using your existing electrical wiring round the house

Suffolk Jambo

Have you tried swapping the wireless devices over to see if the fault moves with the device or stays with the PC?

PS - Homeplugs are great!

Jamie_the_Jambo
Get rid of the wireless and use a plug in system using your existing electrical wiring round the house

Thanks

Seems to defeat the purpose. If I wanted to hardwire the laptops I could quite easily do just that.

Now, does anybody else have any help with my WIRELESS problem ?

Jamie

Jamie_the_Jambo
Have you tried swapping the wireless devices over to see if the fault moves with the device or stays with the PC?

PS - Homeplugs are great!

Not sure I want to be opening up these laptops to swap cards. They could be integrated ?

Is there any other checks I could carry out on the card apart from the troubleshooting program?

Jamie

Drew Busby !
Thanks

Seems to defeat the purpose. If I wanted to hardwire the laptops I could quite easily do just that.

Now, does anybody else have any help with my WIRELESS problem ?

Jamie

Jamie, we had to give up on our wireless set-up and go with the domestic mains network as others have recommended.

We had the same grief as you (dropout) ... other networks in our area were just bleeding their signal all over us (you should be able to see which other networks and signal strengths your card is picking up).

OK ...you can move the location of the wireless hardware that might help ... or you can give it a signal boost and that might help. But if you're getting bled all over by stronger local signals then going back to a plumbed in network is no bad thing.

Good luck.

Suffolk Jambo

Sorry, it's going to be more questions before anyone could begin to troubleshoot the problem!

What is the make and model of the problematic laptop and what make and model is the wireless card?

Are you using the wireless card's software to connect or are you just using the software that comes with Windows?

What version of Windows are you using. XP Home, XP Pro, Vista Basic etc?

What is the make and model of your wireless router/access point? Do you know which channel this is using to broadcast the signal?

Did this work OK in that past or has it never worked properly with this machine.

Is there anything in the log files to suggest why it drops out? Start, Run, Eventvwr.

Craig-Section Z

If it was last night then my BT Hub was doing the same thing, like it was rebooting every 15 mins or so, been hit or miss the last few weeks, seemed to be worse last night whenever i used Iplayer.........might not be your fault but BT's

Rawrrrrrrr

When we first got our wireless we had a similar problem, it was solved by changing the internal channel on the wireless through our settings page to the highest we had - although some crappy dongles or cards may need it on a lower channel than the highest - and that has completely got rid of the problem

On the lower channels they are more prone to interference from other wireless devices such as phones etc

You normally change your settings through a webpage settings thing, the address and passwords to do it will most likely be in the instructions

I would give that a go and see if it helps

Archived