Traffic Gridlock Gorgie. Dalry and Haymarket

Stuart Lyon

Stuart Lyon

Whoever decided to allow the rugby and the football matches to kick off within half an hour of each other should be shot! Georgie Road, Dalry Road and the Haymarket junction were still gridlocked with traffic at 6pm last night. Traffic was backed up Grove Street as well. 

I think the diversions put in place were partly to blame but I suspect it was the preference given to trams at traffic lights which caused a lot of the problems. There were more trams than usual on the track because of the rugby so there was more pressure on the sequencing of traffic lights to the disadvantage of other road users. The driver of the bus I was on estimated that he would be an hour later than scheduled in reaching the terminus at Gorebridge so no doubt many of the other buses caught up in the chaos would be late too.

Guest C00l K1d

I managed to get right upto the haymarket junction at about 6.

They had the lights at red for Dalry road for about 15 minutes.

TheMaganator

We stayed in the ground until 6 thinking it'd clear but it didn't seem to.

It was chaos.

Stuart Lyon

Because of the heavy rain I took the bus from opposite McDonalds and eventually got off at Bensons and walked to Morrison St. No danger the bus I had left would pass me.

scottish_chicP

Our supporters bus was stuck on Dalry Road for ages. Jumped off, had a drink in platform 5 then got a train. Gates were open so train cost nothing [emoji38]

Stuart Lyon

ScP - good for you! I wonder how many travelled for free on trains and trams yesterday.

scottish_chicP

We were waiting at the machine to pay for the tickets and the woman who works for Scotrail said girls the gates are open, you'll get on for free.

The junction's a nightmare at the best of times. I've seen a few bumps on my way to/from work I'm surprised there's not been a more serious accident.

Bert Le Clos

Agreed it was a stupid decision.

But what did you expect? Near enough 85,000 people emptying out onto the streets within 30 minutes of each other?

Why would you park the car anywhere near that area or attempt to drive through it?

I noticed how busy Gorgie Road was after the game. Buses all looked rammed too.

Weirdly I got home quicker than normal last night. My drive through Edinburgh and down the A7 seemed to get all the traffic lights at green.

Bert Le Clos

I was on a bus and then walked so no car.

Apologies. My mistake.

I noticed how busy Gorgie Road was after the game. Buses all looked rammed too.

Weirdly I got home quicker than normal last night. My drive through Edinburgh and down the A7 seemed to get all the traffic lights at green.

Me too mate. Usual parking spot and near enough a clear run South :D

Notorious BIG

parked in Sainsburys, up around ball green, through roseburn and was in Leith walk by 10 past 5  :verysmug:

jambolass1000

Why do people bring their cars anyway. As a resident near both stadiums you just can't move your car on match days

blondejamtart

Why do people bring their cars anyway. As a resident near both stadiums you just can't move your car on match days

Public transport isn't always an option for everyone...

scottish_chicP

Not just cars supporters buses too.

. I parked my car on Friday night. Still not moved it....

I stay local but took the car to the game as I had my son and two of his pals. I had a last minute change of heart and decided not to park too close to Tynie and chose Chesser instead.

Thank feck.

Despite getting absolutely soaked and frozen to the bone walking back to the car the roads looked rammed as we made our way back.

Didnae stop the young team whinging at me even though I explained why it was better to park where we did!

I normally don't but did yesterday. Would've cost me 7.70 in adult and kid bus fares.

Parked at Chesser, 15 min walk either way. Heavy traffic missed , hame nae bother. I normally bevvy at matches so would've probably missed traffic afterwards anyway once it cleared but car was good choice yesterday.

Why do you have a car then?

oh right, same reason as those parking near your house.

Public transport isnt an option for everybody.

Reston to Berwick 12 mins car dropped off

Berwick to Haymarket 55 mins

Walk to Tynecastle 20 mins

Same on way back

4 hour return

10-0 priceless.

Supporters bus left Tranent 14.10 Parked at Westfield 14.35.Left Westfield 17.05 Back Tranent 17.40.No problems.

Whoever decided to allow the rugby and the football matches to kick off within half an hour of each other should be shot! Georgie Road, Dalry Road and the Haymarket junction were still gridlocked with traffic at 6pm last night. Traffic was backed up Grove Street as well. 

I think the diversions put in place were partly to blame but I suspect it was the preference given to trams at traffic lights which caused a lot of the problems. There were more trams than usual on the track because of the rugby so there was more pressure on the sequencing of traffic lights to the disadvantage of other road users. The driver of the bus I was on estimated that he would be an hour later than scheduled in reaching the terminus at Gorebridge so no doubt many of the other buses caught up in the chaos would be late too.

Poor decision re scheduling.  I thought the Six Nations games didn't usually clash with HMFC home league games. I know the autumn internationals at Murrayfield and HMFC cup games can muck up the schedules but I think it was poor to have both as PM kick-offs.

I would hope the club would provide a bit of feedback to the police / SRU / Six Nations committee / SPFL.  It wasn't the hugest issue in the world, but with a wee bit more planning it could have been avoided / diluted.

Parked in our usual secret spot, and we were stopped twice between Gorgie and East Calder.

Made it in about 15 minutes :sweeet:

Romanov Stole My Pension

It was a pain, but the alternative would be shifting our game to 12.30 (they wouldn't move the rugby for us). I'm more than happy to put up with a longer journey home if we're getting Saturdays 3pm.

Archived