Windows problem - "your connection is not private"

IronJambo

I have a Lenovo and recently heard about Superfish and the security issues surrounding it.  Stupidly, I deleted the root for it (rather than distrusting it) and now every other web page I try to get on comes up with the above message and my laptop won't let me on it.  Any fixes guys? I can't really be bothered doing a whole reboot.

I have a Lenovo and recently heard about Superfish and the security issues surrounding it. Stupidly, I deleted the root for it (rather than distrusting it) and now every other web page I try to get on comes up with the above message and my laptop won't let me on it. Any fixes guys? I can't really be bothered doing a whole reboot.

Google Chrome? Make sure your system date/time is correct.

I have a Lenovo and recently heard about Superfish and the security issues surrounding it. Stupidly, I deleted the root for it (rather than distrusting it) and now every other web page I try to get on comes up with the above message and my laptop won't let me on it. Any fixes guys? I can't really be bothered doing a whole reboot.

Yeah but explorer was doing the same. I've done a system reset and it seems to have done the trick. Will try distrusting the root next time rather than deleting it.

You can delete the cert, but you also need to uninstall the software which will remove the SSL intercept config that used the cert.  As you have found, simply removing the cert just breaks web access (most likely for all browsers that use the default system certificate store). 

Decent article:

http://www.lifehacker.co.uk/2015/02/19/heres-remove-superfish-visual-discovery-lenovo-pc

You can delete the cert, but you also need to uninstall the software which will remove the SSL intercept config that used the cert.  As you have found, simply removing the cert just breaks web access (most likely for all browsers that use the default system certificate store). 

Decent article:

http://www.lifehacker.co.uk/2015/02/19/heres-remove-superfish-visual-discovery-lenovo-pc

Thanks chief!

I had thought initially that my system restore had put the root back and I'd solved the problem I created but it didn't.  I'd only done half the job.

Archived