Motherwell's squad from 2006/7 relative to 2007/8

Martin_T

....contains virtually the same players as this season, yet last season they finished 2nd bottom, this season 3rd. The only major additions made by McGhee were Steven Hughes, Chris Porter and latterly Steven Hammell (who again was a replacement for the departed Jim Patteson). Porter was a replacement for their departed top goalscorer Scott McDonald and is probably of lesser quality. Given they got ?700,000 for McDonald and ?250,000 for Patterson, they made a significant profit yet improved team performance. This probably serves to demonstrate yet again, how a good manager can make a genuine difference to on pitch performance.

With this in mind, is there a need for major surgery on the Hearts squad this summer? A lot more could be done with the current squad, although obviously there are areas which obviously need some player recruitment, notably up front. Again it will be interesting to see how any new manager manages to improve existing players.

vegas-voss
....contains virtually the same players as this season, yet last season they finished 2nd bottom, this season 3rd. The only major additions made by McGhee were Steven Hughes, Chris Porter and latterly Steven Hammell (who again was a replacement for the departed Jim Patteson). Porter was a replacement for their departed top goalscorer Scott McDonald and is probably of lesser quality. Given they got ?700,000 for McDonald and ?250,000 for Patterson, they made a significant profit yet improved team performance. This probably serves to demonstrate yet again, how a good manager can make a genuine difference to on pitch performance.

With this in mind, is there a need for major surgery on the Hearts squad this summer? A lot more could be done with the current squad, although obviously there are areas which obviously need some player recruitment, notably up front. Again it will be interesting to see how any new manager manages to improve existing players.

As i said in your other thread even if he gets slightly more of a budget at Hearts we will be onto a winner.

Drylaw Hearts

Major, major surgery is needed.

There are too many players tainted with bad attitude at the Club.

This bad attitude is not unwarrented in some cases but I really do feel a complete overhaul is the best thing for Hearts.

Too many players are in a comfort zone with VR and they themselves probably need a fresh challenge also.

When we slaughtered Hibs 4-0 under Burley only three players were playing who hadn't played the season before. So I fully understand the point about how much a good manager can do and I reckon there are a shed load of players in this squad who are underachieving.

I'd still do an overhaul though, there are too many bad feelings towards a lot of players.

Toxteth O'Grady
Major, major surgery is needed.

There are too many players tainted with bad attitude at the Club.

This bad attitude is not unwarrented in some cases but I really do feel a complete overhaul is the best thing for Hearts.

Too many players are in a comfort zone with VR and they themselves probably need a fresh challenge also.

I agree with you as usual DH but it could be easier said than done getting rid of those that are on decent contracts.

For most of the squad at the moment I just can't imagine anyone offering Hearts decent money and the players a better contract than they are currently on.

So do we just free a few of them? e.g. Goncalves, Beslija, Makela (if the Fins don't buy him).

Snake Plissken

I look back to the day we pumped Rangers 4-2 and wonder if we could see results like that more consistently with the right man at the helm?

If Nade and Pinilla get fit and motivated we'd have no need for new strikers as we'd have the best front two in the country.

Larry, Jonsson and Driver are as talented as any midfielders in the SPL and I believe Wallace could do very well under the right management.

Plenty of dross needs to be cleared for sure but I can't help thinking that the changes might not be as drastic as we may think.

WeeToonJambo
I look back to the day we pumped Rangers 4-2 and wonder if we could see results like that more consistently with the right man at the helm?

If Nade and Pinilla get fit and motivated we'd have no need for new strikers as we'd have the best front two in the country.

Larry, Jonsson and Driver are as talented as any midfielders in the SPL and I believe Wallace could do very well under the right management.

Plenty of dross needs to be cleared for sure but I can't help thinking that the changes might not be as drastic as we may think.

I couldn't agree more. A fit and motivated Nade providing ammunition for a fit and motivated Pinilla would have SPL defences quaking.

Drylaw Hearts
I agree with you as usual DH but it could be easier said than done getting rid of those that are on decent contracts.

For most of the squad at the moment I just can't imagine anyone offering Hearts decent money and the players a better contract than they are currently on.

So do we just free a few of them? e.g. Goncalves, Beslija, Makela (if the Fins don't buy him).

I posted this on another thread -

...getting rid of certain players is a necessity.

I think players like Nade, Goncalves and Kingston will quite happily move if they can.

Basso, Beslija, Makela and Aguiar may need to be 'paid off' but again I don't think they will be too difficult to deal with.

Piniila has to be released asap. Money down the drain EVERY month is doing this club no favours whatsoever.

We also should decide not to take up the options on the contract of Screpis and Stewart.

Then we send back the loan'ees - Miko, Chesney,Audry, No.28 and Zaliukas.

Elliot will also probably leave.

This leaves a First Team squad of :-

Banks

Neilson

Berra

Karapidis

Wallace

Ruben

Jonsson

Driver

Plus a handful of Youth Players.

Some tough negotiations are needed.

Drylaw Hearts
I couldn't agree more. A fit and motivated Nade providing ammunition for a fit and motivated Pinilla would have SPL defences quaking.

Do you think it's possible to get either of these players fit or motivated ?

I don't.

I think it's time we shifted both these guys on.

The only thing they have had any real contribution to is our debt.

Only a Game

True,

But is McGhee going to be able to walk in the door and 4 weeks later, all of a sudden, Nade and Pinilla are fit and motivated ?

I think Nade is unfit and overweight and badly motivated to get any better, partly because he's on good money and doesnt really have to.

Pinilla just seems to me like a lost cause now and why we're giving him another contract is beyond me. He's a wage thief and shouldnt be tolerated any longer.

I dont think there's much that McGhee can do with either of those players unless there is significant change coming from within both of them

Geoff Kilpatrick

I'm actually quite happy to let McGhee (if he comes) judge the relative merits of these players, even Ivaskevicius! To be honest, there have been times when every member of our squad has shown flashes of quality. The question is whether they can consistently deliver it.

Even Goncalves looked amazing when he first came here, so let's leave it to the manager to decide.

Archived