What resources will be available to the new manager?

Martin_T

It will be interesting to see what resources are made available to the new manager (say it's McGhee for arguments sake) for team building this summer? The past two seasons have seen Hearts make consistent cuts in the playing staff, any high earners have been shipped out where possible, any player who reaches peak transfer value (Gordon, Velicka, even Hartley) has been sold. So is Romanov about to embark on another 2005/6 spending spree?

For the first time since Rix, a serious part of the budget seems to have been allocated to the position of head coach, so this is the first increase in spending Hearts have implemented since 2006. I honestly believe we could get much better value and playing performance out of our current budget, so there is not necessarily the need to spend big on transfer fees. Interesting times ahead.

vegas-voss
It will be interesting to see what resources are made available to the new manager (say it's McGhee for arguments sake) for team building this summer? The past two seasons have seen Hearts make consistent cuts in the playing staff, any high earners have been shipped out where possible, any player who reaches peak transfer value (Gordon, Velicka, even Hartley) has been sold. So is Romanov about to embark on another 2005/6 spending spree?

For the first time since Rix, a serious part of the budget seems to have been allocated to the position of head coach, so this is the first increase in spending Hearts have implemented since 2006. I honestly believe we could get much better value and playing performance out of our current budget, so there is not necessarily the need to spend big on transfer fees. Interesting times ahead.

Even if he gets only slightly more than he got at Motherwell we will be onto a winner.Although i would expect he has been promised quite a bit more.

Buffalo Bill

I'd also like to imagine that there's an overall wage budget that's greater than 'the rest', and that the new manager can wheel and deal as he pleases within that budget.

Buffalo Bill

Drylaw Hearts

Whatever the resources are I sincerely hope it is a sensible amount.

And I hope the Manager is allowed to spend it as he see's fit.

No interference is the key.

Nucky Thompson

I heard a ?15m transfer kitty will be made available:dribble:

The Real Maroonblood

As long as the fax machine is not one of the resources made available.

Do The Dance
I heard a ?15m transfer kitty will be made available:dribble:

;)

Guest JamboRobbo

Spot on as usual.

Absolutely spot-on Drylaw - well said.

We get people going on about new players and also about the size of our debt. The circle needs to be squared.

What do you see as a sensible amount and why?

PS - Getting rid of certain players may not be an option, depending upon their contracts.

The Future's Maroon

I dont think there will be a budget so to speak, I would imagine it will be a case of if the new manager wants someone he goes to Vlad or whoever and basically says "I want to sign him, can we"?

I dont believe for a second that Vlad would turn round to a manager and say - right, you have ?2m, ?5m, ?10m or for the delusional more to spend.....Vlad just doesnt work that way and we know that?

Hope I am wrong of course.

Bindy Badgy
We get people going on about new players and also about the size of our debt. The circle needs to be squared.

PS - Getting rid of certain players may not be an option, depending upon their contracts.

An amount that is sustainable. I have no idea how much that is:p

Drylaw Hearts

Budget :

A sensible amount is probably around 60% of our current turnover. This probably gives any new Manager a budget of around ?5million. This is significantly higher than the rest of the SPL.

Why ?

We need to get amount of money we owe down.

PS - getting rid of certain players is a necessity.

I think players like Nade, Goncalves and Kingston will quite happily move if they can.

Basso, Beslija, Makela and Aguiar may need to be 'paid off' but again I don't think they will be too difficult to deal with.

Piniila has to be released asap. Money down the drain EVERY month is doing this club no favours whatsoever.

We also should decide not to take up the options on the contract of Screpis and Stewart.

Then we send back the loan'ees - Miko, Chesney,Audry, No.28 and Zaliukas.

Elliot will also probably leave.

This leaves a First Team squad of :-

Banks

Neilson

Berra

Karapidis

Wallace

Ruben

Jonsson

Driver

Plus a handful of Youth Players.

Gimme an H...
I dont think there will be a budget so to speak, I would imagine it will be a case of if the new manager wants someone he goes to Vlad or whoever and basically says "I want to sign him, can we"?

I dont believe for a second that Vlad would turn round to a manager and say - right, you have ?2m, ?5m, ?10m or for the delusional more to spend.....Vlad just doesnt work that way and we know that?

Hope I am wrong of course.

This is the way I see it.

Budget :

A sensible amount is probably around 60% of our current turnover. This probably gives any new Manager a budget of around ?5million. This is significantly higher than the rest of the SPL.

Why ?

I think players like Nade, Goncalves and Kingston will quite happily move if they can.

Basso, Beslija, Makela and Aguiar may need to be 'paid off' but again I don't think they will be too difficult to deal with.

Piniila has to be released asap. Money down the drain EVERY month is doing this club no favours whatsoever.

We also should decide not to take up the options on the contract of Screpis and Stewart.

Banks

Neilson

Berra

Karapidis

Wallace

Ruben

Jonsson

Driver

There is a lot of sense in what you say especially the 60% which I think slashes the wage bill by around 40% from the last published accounts. If as the club says we can clear our debt within 10-15 years we need to reduce even further to 55% unless we are mighty successful in other areas such as outgoing transfers and commerce. Commerce of course often depends on whether we are winning which would be unlikely with all our better players gone, unless they are replaced at a cost - and so the vicious circle continues.

I'm not saying you're wrong but it won't be easy.

I don't think we have to spend big in transfer fees. Players move for wages not because how much you pay them. There are hundreds of free players at the end of every season who could improve our squad. We squad also need to be drastically trimmed. Smaller but higher quality squad is easily achievable within the current budget IMO.

Drylaw Hearts
There is a lot of sense in what you say especially the 60% which I think slashes the wage bill by around 40% from the last published accounts. If as the club says we can clear our debt within 10-15 years we need to reduce even further to 55% unless we are mighty successful in other areas such as outgoing transfers and commerce. Commerce of course often depends on whether we are winning which would be unlikely with all our better players gone, unless they are replaced at a cost - and so the vicious circle continues.

If VR had been a little bit more prudent we would have been in a hell of a lot less debt than we are now.

The Transfer money gained by selling of Craig Gordon has been wasted by buying and paying big salaries to the likes of :

Nade

Goncalves

Pinilla

Makela

Beslija

Tall

Basso

Kingston

Thats around ?3million in Transfer fees.

Plus probably another ?5million in wages.

We haven't had value for money for any of these players.

You're right, it doesn't need to be a lot to get us back to 3rd. The OF are not great football teams they're just consistent. They do the basic things right, rarely drop silly points and con the odd ref or two ;).

We just need to buy some good, experienced players who are hungry for a bit of success and marry that together with the likes of Glen, MacGowan and Driver.

Sounds simple but in reality it is.

If VR had been a little bit more prudent we would have been in a hell of a lot less debt than we are now.

The Transfer money gained by selling of Craig Gordon has been wasted by buying and paying big salaries to the likes of :

Nade

Goncalves

Pinilla

Makela

Beslija

Tall

Basso

Kingston

Thats around ?3million in Transfer fees.

Plus probably another ?5million in wages.

We haven't had value for money for any of these players.

Maybe so, but we are where are now. We speculated to accumulate and lost, by taking on players who may be good enough but do not have the right attitude.

Only a Game

We've just shifted Tall, McCann and Bednar (shortly) off the wage bill. With ?2.5 million coming in for Bednar.

Even if we accept that every penny in incoming transfers goes right back to the debt we've moved around ?20 k off the wage bill with those 3 alone.

I think we should bin either of Kingston or Pinilla, or maybe even both and that releases a further ?12 - 25 K and cut the losses on Beslija and get rid of him too. Nade we can do without as well.

So another 32k-45k a week for wages for incoming players. That will get you at least 6 and more likely 8 - 10 players of very decent SPL quality or better.

To get that kind of budget I think that McGhee would have to accept that any player who reaches a peak transfer value, and has that value met by another club (preferably not a direct rival) has to be sold so that the financing of the wage bill can continue at a reasonably high level.

Someone earlier said we were pretty good at identifying the peak transfer value and getting players away when they reached it. We didnt manage it with Tall or Goncalves though. (I accept that there are loads of players we have got it right with)

Commerce of course often depends on whether we are winning which would be unlikely with all our better players gone, unless they are replaced at a cost - and so the vicious circle continues.

Normally but at Hearts, as always, things are different. Our so called better and most expensive players contribute a diproportionately small amount to any onfield success we have. Be it through injury, mental problems, laziness etc. Binning our better players would have next to no negative effect on the team imo.

Normally but at Hearts, as always, things are different. Our so called better and most expensive players contribute a diproportionately small amount to any onfield success we have. Be it through injury, mental problems, laziness etc. Binning our better players would have next to no negative effect on the team imo.

This has IMO been a serious problem.

I do not wish to sound xenophobic, because it can happen with British players too, but I feel you are always taking a chance when you take players from different cultures that they will settle quickly into our way of life and values. Some do, some don't but I think we need them to broaden our skills by learning from them eg Kingston, Skacel, Janny, Miko etc are all gifted players but seem to have a flaw in their attitude.

Personally Id rather McGhee was given the chance to get the best out of the likes of Pinilla, Kingston, Nade, Beslija, Chesney etc rather than cut them from the squad in order to saves pennies. They all have the potential to be top top quality players in this league.

These players haven't had a proper manager training or motivating them since they came to Hearts and I would imagine a proper manager like McGhee could get the real full potential out of them.

Especially Kingston who I don't blame for looking like he couldn't be ersed somtimes when he was playing under that ridiculous managerial set up.

Pinilla needs to be kept on for one last shot because

A: He could be lethal in the SPL if he stays injury free

B: If we'r selling him on he needs to at least play a season first to attract buyers.

...and Vlad'll turn round and say "No, but you can have this guy who has been targeted by my own scouting network. He's half the price and much better. If you do not agree I would like you to write down 10 reasons why I should sign your man over my Lithuanian comrade!":rolleyes::rolleyes:

Charlie-Brown

Whilst the new manager (McGhee) will undoubtedly sign some players I don't think they will be at the same wage level as the departed Tall, McCann, Bednar etc. so overall the wage bill will continue to be reduced, I also think the manager will be expected to do a similar job to that done at Motherwell this year ie getting more productivity from the existing squad of players as well as promoting youngsters.....I certainly don't anticipate a massive clear out nor a massive signing spree.

Budget :

Why ?

Banks

Neilson

Berra

Karapidis

Wallace

Ruben

Jonsson

Driver

Might grumble about one or two of the names - but surely the above is the sort of strategy that McGhee/Ogilvie will be thinking of.

Your suggested first team squad could be easily augmented by the sort of signing strategy McGhee had at Motherwell last summer. Then we could see - for the first time since Burley - a proper manager pick, coach, train and motivate the squad. The return of discipline to the dressing room for example could transform the returns we are getting from a number of our players.

And getting more of a return from the resources available must at some point please VR?

Guest JamboRobbo
Maybe so, but we are where are now. We speculated to accumulate and lost, by taking on players who may be good enough but do not have the right attitude.

good enough for what? the first division?

Vlad wasted loads of money, signing a load of expensive duds, thats got us to 8th in the SPL.

Geoff Kilpatrick

It won't be that easy to take such a financial hit on half the squad, given that most of them are on easy money.

Vlad has gone on the record before and said he is prepared to fund a ?10m budget. I'm not expecting that but it may well be that we need to 'freeze' some of that budget to continue to pay the wasters who we don't need with the rest used as a 'working' budget.

Either way, McGhee must have an attractive enough budget for him to think that he can achieve success here. What that is remains to be seen.

good enough for what? the first division?

Vlad wasted loads of money, signing a load of expensive duds, thats got us to 8th in the SPL.

I thought you always said that it was the lack of a manager that was the problem: this player and that player would be better if we had a proper coach/manager etc.

You clearly have the advantage of hindsght now and do not hesitate to use it to get across your anti-Vlad vitriol but are you telling me that the likes of Pinilla, Janny, Kingston etc are not basically good footballers. That is a rhetorical question BTW as I do not wish to become involved in the points scoring drivel you normally indulge in. You stick with your "Frail for manager" rant and if MM turns the post down you might just be right for once.

flecktimus
Budget :

Why ?

Banks

Neilson

Berra

Karapidis

Wallace

Ruben

Jonsson

Driver

Totally agree with your around 60% budget.

Archived