Favourite Old Adverts

mulleted_jambo

There was a government information advert on TV back in the late 70's/early 80's about Hypothermia and what to do if you found someone suffering from it (as if).

There was a guy wandering aimlessly in the snow then this other guy turned up and lit a fire, made him a hot drink and then got into a sleeping bag with him before a helicopter turns up to take the guy to a hospital (I think there was a helicopter in it).

Anyway, us young lads at the time used to laugh about the 2 guys in a sleeping bag together (we were only 9 or 10 at the time) but I have not been able to find it anywhere since.

Anyone help?

I loved the blackcurrant Tango advert but can't find one that's good quality. The one with "Sebastian" the exchange student who wrote a letter saying he didn't like blackcurrant Tango as much as the others. Was truly epic!!

Got it:

There was a government information advert on TV back in the late 70's/early 80's about Hypothermia and what to do if you found someone suffering from it (as if).

There was a guy wandering aimlessly in the snow then this other guy turned up and lit a fire, made him a hot drink and then got into a sleeping bag with him before a helicopter turns up to take the guy to a hospital (I think there was a helicopter in it).

Anyway, us young lads at the time used to laugh about the 2 guys in a sleeping bag together (we were only 9 or 10 at the time) but I have not been able to find it anywhere since.

Anyone help?

Oh I remember that one.....it was pretty much exactly as you described, with the guy imagining he was hot even though he was freezing. Was it something to with the RAF rescue service? My brother and I used to a*se around wandering about zombie-like, the same as the guy in it when we played about in the woods near us.

The two for one in a sleeping bag we found hilarious too....less PC times I suppose!!

The Dark and Lonely Water public information film used to bloody terrify us though...genuinely creepy stuff!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNPMYRlvySY

Apparently the "man in the snow" hypothermia film was called "Do Not Lie Down and Sleep" which sounds about right but I couldn't find the film either!

Anyone help?

Was it something to do with the army, or airforce?, for some reason I have a harrier jump jet in mind.

Oh I remember that one.....it was pretty much exactly as you described, with the guy imagining he was hot even though he was freezing. Was it something to with the RAF rescue service? My brother and I used to a*se around wandering about zombie-like, the same as the guy in it when we played about in the woods near us.

The two for one in a sleeping bag we found hilarious too....less PC times I suppose!!

The Dark and Lonely Water public information film used to bloody terrify us though...genuinely creepy stuff!!

Apparently the "man in the snow" hypothermia film was called "Do Not Lie Down and Sleep" which sounds about right but I couldn't find the film either!

Was it something to do with the army, or airforce?, for some reason I have a harrier jump jet in mind.

I remember that!

"This man is not drunk....he is suffering from hypothermia", or some such dialogue.

As a kid I used to spin round, get dizzy, then walk like I wasn't drunk but had hypothermia.

The other ones I remember (always on a Saturday before Grandstand) were short films of old castles with overdubbed battle sounds (lots of roaring and metal clashing) and really juddery, quick close up, pan out camera shots.

Yes Boris, that was for some sort of long walk route across (the North of ?) England / Yorkshire all the routes were marked by a wee acorn badge on a gate or a fence.
One or more of the castles was sacked by the Scots according to the voice over....we always wanted to go and see them see how much damage had been inflicted; it looked like a lot!!

While, looking for said ad, there is a few wtf uk government ads, scarey health advice films, (saville and harris are on a couple).

I remember that!

"This man is not drunk....he is suffering from hypothermia", or some such dialogue.

As a kid I used to spin round, get dizzy, then walk like I wasn't drunk but had hypothermia.

The other ones I remember (always on a Saturday before Grandstand) were short films of old castles with overdubbed battle sounds (lots of roaring and metal clashing) and really juddery, quick close up, pan out camera shots.

Here is the one I think we are talking about...its the Cleveland Way and historic North Yorkshire walk

Still looks like a nice walk...I think that is Rievaulx Abbey that is in the advert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bcxwcO2ncI

Here is the one I think we are talking about...its the Cleveland Way and historic North Yorkshire walk

Still looks like a nice walk...I think that is Rievaulx Abbey that is in the advert.

One for the Ridgeway as well...the one with disappearing historical people in it......

Brilliant! Thank you!

Snatch of the Day

Sorry IP, dunno how to embed YouTube vids. Perhaps someone can help?

Anyway, the line "pea and ham...fi a chicken?" was from an old Knorr Stockcube ad featuring two auld farmers. It's one of those ads that, as soon as you see it, you remember it!!

Sure the auld farmer was called Hughie...

Edit. Dunno how to embed, but here's the link anyway...

2nd edit...looks like by simply copying and pasting the link I've managed to embed it!

Jeez that still send a shiver down my back!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived