Favourite Old Adverts

mulleted_jambo

I P Knightley

I heard that Mike D'Abo made more money out of "Finger of Fudge..." than any other music he wrote. That may have been up until The Office used Handbags & Gladrags, though.

Good call on Kia-Ora and I'd completely forgotten the Invergraw Grouse Beaters.

A couple I remember hazily are: one for the chocolate bar, "Trophy" with some bloke (possibly Fyfe Robertson) going round in a sports jacket or blazer asking passers by, "What do you think of this new bar Trophy?"

The other's an animated ad for the Texan bar - for when a man's gotta chew. The Messicans in the firing squad give the Gringo his last request; it's a Trophy bar and by the time the Gringo has finished it, the Messican's have, naturally, all fallen asleep. Come to think of it, the Gringo may have looked like a young Jeremy Clarkson.

Oh, and "Glen's Robertson's, Hutchison's and Stepek." 4 mythical names from the West of Scotland. They may as well have been the four horsemen of the Apocalypse for all I knew in the safety of Edinburgh.

I heard that Mike D'Abo made more money out of "Finger of Fudge..." than any other music he wrote. That may have been up until The Office used Handbags & Gladrags, though.

A couple I remember hazily are: one for the chocolate bar, "Trophy" with some bloke (possibly Fyfe Robertson) going round in a sports jacket or blazer asking passers by, "What do you think of this new bar Trophy?"

The other's an animated ad for the Texan bar - for when a man's gotta chew. The Messicans in the firing squad give the Gringo his last request; it's a Trophy bar and by the time the Gringo has finished it, the Messican's have, naturally, all fallen asleep. Come to think of it, the Gringo may have looked like a young Jeremy Clarkson.

Oh, and "Glen's Robertson's, Hutchison's and Stepek." 4 mythical names from the West of Scotland. They may as well have been the four horsemen of the Apocalypse for all I knew in the safety of Edinburgh.

Fitzroy Pointon

used to wind up a bird in school with this one....and on and on and Alison 

Think you've both triggered a deep down repressed memory; was this advert not on around, or indeed during the Glen Michael Cavalcade, Sunday afternoons.

I P Knightley

I didn't remember the "redskins"; were the Messicans a figment of my imagination?

Think you've both triggered a deep down repressed memory; was this advert not on around, or indeed during the Glen Michael Cavalcade, Sunday afternoons.

When I was writing initially, I was wondering whether Glenn Michael starred in (or was the voice of) those adverts. So I suspect you're right. The creepy wee man and his dodgy talking paraffin lamp. But I loved the cartoons.

"Pea and ham.....fi a chicken?"

You're going to have to expand on that. A bell is rung but it's in a far off steeple somewhere in my mind.

Wasn't there a Robertson's on Gorgie Road? Think it's a fireplace showroom now, used to be a snooker table shop!

Can't post from my phone, but I always liked the Pru adverts, there was the "I wanna be" ones and the couple that wanted totally different things

Can't post from my phone, but I always liked the Pru adverts, there was the "I wanna be" ones and the couple that wanted totally different things

'Tommy Cooper' voiceover for Lego - the standard by which all adverts should be measured.

">" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="344">

I believe that advert received some complaints for the way the man was portrayed as being naive and simple.

I'm pretty sure it would have received many more complaints if the male/female roles had been reversed. Just my opinion though.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

I associate the Glen's, Hutchison's etc ad with Glen Michaels as well. Maybe it's just the Glen bit. And yes, there was a store on Gorgie Road - Robertson's sounds right.

Archived