New Tivoli Gorgie Road

davemclaren

davemclaren
No. God you are old. :P

That said is that you in your avatar ........ :eek:

Nope. He's younger than me. :rolleyes:

davemclaren
Phew that chap looks quite ill looking .........

Trust me, he drinks too much. :cool:

Anyone remember going to this as a cinema?

http://www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/edinburgh/newtivoli/index.html

I can take you back a wee bit, I can remember going there in Dec1952, my first leave as a soldier. It was a Sunday night and in those days the only movies you could get on a Sunday was health films. Never saw the movies but spent a lot of time convincing lassies I was a real soldier, having been in the army 10 weeks. Nothing like the old days to bring out the embarrassed blushes at your teenage naivety.:)

Buffalo Bill

John Lennon used to go to the cinema there with his cousin.

011john_p.jpg

Buffalo Bill

Spitonastranger

saturday mornings kids show, remeber the expensive seats at the back of the place, basically seats on a raised platform:)

Yes used to go there for the Sat morn kids show also went to the lyceum on Slateford road ABC club all together now! we are the boys.....................

davemclaren
John Lennon used to go to the cinema there with his cousin.

011john_p.jpg

Buffalo Bill

Now that is interesting. Do you think John followed the Hearts? ;)

Drew Busby !
Anyone remember going to this as a cinema?

http://www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/edinburgh/newtivoli/index.html

Oh yes indeed :laugh:

My parents and grandparents would have been going there fom the 1930's onwards. I was still going there as a youngster in the late 60's. My abiding memories are of it being bloody freezing of a Saturday night, the heating was something that had either long broken down - or maybe had never even existed.

Anyway, this is a thread for VeraNT !

Drew Busby !
Dave, my Grandma use to take the tickets an a Saturday morning for the kids matinee, so my folks got us a few freebies.

Wasn't that much of a walk from Moat place.

Ditto. Moat House, Moat Drive for me.

Moat was always just a suburb of Gorgie as we both know :laugh:

Buffalo Bill

I don't think Lennon was into football and his time in Edinburgh tended to be spent during the summer anyway; but he would've walked to the Gorgie Road cinema around the early years of Conn, Bauld and Wardhaugh. He stayed at Ormidale Terrace in Murrayfield.

His other links to Edinburgh included staying with his cousin Stanley Parkes in Balerno in 1964 and The Beatles playing the ABC. He also visited Black and Lizars at the west end with Yoko Ono in 1969. Lennon also helped fund his cousin's purchase of the garage (former Kwik Fit building) on MacDonald Road.

He loved the city and Scotland in general. This all comes from a booklet I own called 'John Lennon in Edinburgh' (1995).

Buffalo Bill

I don't think Lennon was into football and his time in Edinburgh tended to be spent during the summer anyway; but he would've walked to the Gorgie Road cinema around the early years of Conn, Bauld and Wardhaugh. He stayed at Ormidale Terrace in Murrayfield.

His other links to Edinburgh included staying with his cousin Stanley Parkes in Balerno in 1964 and The Beatles playing the ABC. He also visited Black and Lizars at the west end with Yoko Ono in 1969. Lennon also helped fund his cousin's purchase of the garage (former Kwik Fit building) on MacDonald Road.

He loved the city and Scotland in general. This all comes from a booklet I own called 'John Lennon in Edinburgh' (1995).

Buffalo Bill

My old man was at that gig, I think we still have the ticket stub somewhere.

Frankie Pal
My old man was at that gig, I think we still have the ticket stub somewhere.

I was there too

Buffalo Bill

I believe his cousin actually stayed in Corslet Road in Currie, and not in Balerno. IIRC there is a photo of John outside the house in the Albert Goldman book.

I also own a photograph of John Lennon taken by a member of the Lizars shop (it wasn't Black & Lizars all that time ago) from the time he visited. Apparently he didn't want any photos taken of him, but the shop assistant was desperate to get one. The shop guy took a camera out of the shop, and waited for John and Yoko to leave, and snapped them just along the road from Lizars. I haven't seen the book you mention, but I guess the photo itself could be printed in it.

Yes, attended both the Tiv and the Roxy regularly. Can anyone remember the name of the cinema that stood on the corner of Robertson Avenue and Slateford Road? I remember going there as a youngster and I'm damned if I remember it's name. I'm sure in burnt down in the late 1950's/early 1960's and garage appeared in it's place.

Terrible Trio

Used to do the matinee shows on a saturday

Can remember seeing Jungle Book there

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Sgt,Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

na na na nana na twirly tune to Hey Jude

Terrible Trio

thank ***k my wife went into labour at the Roxy, Tivoli just doesn't sound right for a girl

Yes, attended both the Tiv and the Roxy regularly. Can anyone remember the name of the cinema that stood on the corner of Robertson Avenue and Slateford Road? I remember going there as a youngster and I'm damned if I remember it's name. I'm sure in burnt down in the late 1950's/early 1960's and garage appeared in it's place.

I think it was the lyceum used to go there on a Sat morning ABC club and all that

jambos are go!

Been to the Roxy, Tiv, Lyceum and Scotia on Dalry road. Decent choice now I think of it. And the Guamont (?) up Torphichen street

Archived