Intertoto no more in 2009

davemclaren

davemclaren

My understanding is that, at the end of next season, there will be no Intertoto cup and that teams who would have qualified will get into the Qualifying stages of the UEFA cup.

Does this mean that Scotland effectively gets another UEFA cup place? I appreciate that this might be seen as semantics but I'd quite like to know. :cool:

portobellojambo1
My understanding is that, at the end of next season, there will be no Intertoto cup and that teams who would have qualified will get into the Qualifying stages of the UEFA cup.

Does this mean that Scotland effectively gets another UEFA cup place? I appreciate that this might be seen as semantics but I'd quite like to know. :cool:

I would imagine it will depend on our co-efficient rating, and where we stand as a country in that 'league table' dave. If we drop down it and only one automatic place becomes available for the UEFA Cup you would have to assume the answer would be no, because we would still then only have two teams in it (if what you say above is correct re potential entrants to the Intertoto going into UEFA qualifying). Not sure how many additional points Scotland will have received from Rangers UEFA run this year, and if it will make any sort of significant difference to our position going forward.

Changes in UEFA competition format details in this article

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/news-template.html?071130a

Well, as scotland are ranked 10th for next season, assuming that we are still higher than 15th next season it appears that

we get champs with direct access to champ league. 2nd into qual round 2.

the cup winners will go into uefa cup Qual round 4 (last before groups) 3rd place goes into R3 and 4th into round2.

So yes we do gain a place in the uefa for 2009 onwards. With the SFA's change in not allowing runner up in the cup getting into Europe that means the top 5 teams will qualify for europe. Will amke the top 6 after split more fun.

davemclaren
Well, as scotland are ranked 10th for next season, assuming that we are still higher than 15th next season it appears that

we get champs with direct access to champ league. 2nd into qual round 2.

the cup winners will go into uefa cup Qual round 4 (last before groups) 3rd place goes into R3 and 4th into round2.

So yes we do gain a place in the uefa for 2009 onwards. With the SFA's change in not allowing runner up in the cup getting into Europe that means the top 5 teams will qualify for europe. Will amke the top 6 after split more fun.

I thought the runner up in the cup thing was not now being changed? :confused:

Full UEFA doc here - http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/630630.pdf

Makes more sense having 4 team groups playing each home and away. Hope we will be involved....

I think it says there are 48 teams and 144 games so we would just play each team once, which could be a bit unfair if you end up with 2 away games!

Archived