1st time flat/house buyer!Help needed

Rudi123

So i applied online to see if i could get a mortgage,and got a mortgage promise back,my question is,what do i do now?? Who do i go see?an estate agent?i have no clue about this stuff, cheers

Find a house you like. Then find an estate agent.

Fee's depend on price of house. ?100k house with fee's of about ?1k.

we went to spoke to First Mortgage to get some advice as we had no clue where to start. give free advice and gave us a solicitor that they use.

We're very helpful and gave great advice.

The Old Tolbooth

A solicitor is always a good start as you legally need to go through one to be able to put an offer in for the desired property of your choice, you don't have to use estate agents though if you don't want to and a solicitor will keep you right on most things, it's also best to shop around for solicitors as there's huge variations in their conveyancing costs. If you see a property you like, then get a "note of interest" put on it so that if any one else puts in an offer on the property, then the sellers are duty bound to let you know about it in case you lose out. 

Hope this helps and good luck :thumbsup: 

Thanks,will probably go to both solicitors and estate agents,how much are conveyancing costs etc?? Would be good to have an estimate total im gona have to need

For buying a flat...

The seller now pays for a Home report pre it going on the market. This is what any mortgage provider will use to confirm if they will lend on that property. If the HR is a few months old or done on the cheap on by a non reputable company the lender might ask you to get a survey done to confirm the value. You may need to pay for this but depending on how many offers on the property you go after you could try and get the seller to do this.

Estate agent sells / advertises property on behalf of seller, so the fees are the sellers fees. You contact to them is to arrange viewings or putting in offer/ note of interest.

Solicitor - this is the main thing you need. To put in an offer/ conclude sale / confirm you are legit etc. I am not from Edinburgh so not sure costs through there but in Glasgow you can usually get a fixed price on this around ?800-1000.

So costs you may have-

?1000 solicitor

?200/?300 survey if lender doesn't accept home report

?xxxx on stamp duty depending if your flat falls above ?125k

Then obviously the mortgage and any arrangement fees you have with the lender.

Do your homework, make sure it's something you want to be committed to in an area you're committed to. I bought a 4 bedroom house in suburbia because I could afford it and now it's worth less than the mortgage. And turns out I hate suburbia!

As far as conveyancing goes, when I was in that sector (admittedly 6 years ago) The Lints Partnership on Leith Walk was one of the best run and to be recommended.

Bridge of Djoum

Mortgage advisory centers give great free advice and help finding mortgages, insurance etc. 

As mentioned above. First Mortgage will sort you out with everything. Good company to deal with & dont charge you a penny if you get the mortgage through them (& they check ALL the lenders (whole of market))..

Archived