Jamie's not the answer

The cruckie cookie

The cruckie cookie

When MM comes in, I think he will keep Jamie in the background for a wee bit as his performance today was not SPL level.

His positioning of the wall for the first and then standing behind them was not good, although when the shot did come in, it was a stoater. If he had been to the left of the wall he may have had a chance.

The second goal was totally Hoboesque when he lifted his right leg to let the ball pass underneath him.

Not much chance with the third.

He doesn't seem to leave his line very much. Lots more work to do. Discuss

Commander Harris

I'd like to see him a few more times before making a judgement on him, not going to condemn the boy after one performance in a Scottish Cup final at that young age.

Bindy Badgy

I thought he looked pretty dodgy for the second.

How tall is he? I thought he looked pretty small for a keeper.

Charlie-Brown

Staying on the goal-line must be a coaching thing as Niemi, Gordon & Banks all do this as well.

For the second, he took a chance and it didn't pay off. He threw himself down in an attempt to make a great save and it went the other way; his momentum appeared to lift his leg up, IMO.

Lots of work still to do, you're right, but certainly not a hopeless case yet.

I read in the EN he was around 6'1, mate.

winston churchill

i raised this point a while ago,i dont think he is big enough for the top league.

Charlie-Brown

I don't think he will ever be a top class keeper but I also don't think he's any worse than some SPL goalies like Langfield, Soutar, McNeill, Makalamby, Brown (Celts) etc.

When MM comes in, I think he will keep Jamie in the background for a wee bit as his performance today was not SPL level.

His positioning of the wall for the first and then standing behind them was not good, although when the shot did come in, it was a stoater. If he had been to the left of the wall he may have had a chance.

The second goal was totally Hoboesque when he lifted his right leg to let the ball pass underneath him.

This is a problem we've had for some time at Tynie. Banks, Gordon and Niemi are all good shot stoppers but do not boss the area.

I do not think McDonald is a Premier keeper.

Nelly Terraces
i raised this point a while ago,i dont think he is big enough for the top league.

Put him on a medieval style rack, stretch him oot a bit. :)

Charlie-Brown
This is a problem we've had for some time at Tynie. Banks, Gordon and Niemi are all good shot stoppers but do not boss the area.

I do not think McDonald is a Premier keeper.

What is a Premier keeper? Hearts (previously had) Rangers & Celtic have International class goalkeepers however the others range from quite good to quite poor.

Bindy Badgy
I read in the EN he was around 6'1, mate.

According to Wikipedia he's the same height as Niemi.

Hopefully he'll develop the same amount of skill:p

rudi must stay
I don't think he will ever be a top class keeper but I also don't think he's any worse than some SPL goalies like Langfield, Soutar, McNeill, Makalamby, Brown (Celts) etc.

i think at the moment he's about the same as him. Makes mistakes, but makes some great saves too

Yeah Andy Goram was really tall right enough :confused:

Bindy Badgy

Exception that proves the rule.

Cannavaro is 5 ft 9. Ideally you would want your centre half to be a fair bit taller.

Ray Winstone

I reakon he will be a more than able back up keeper next year - actually reminds me of Roddy McKenzie.

Same stature, and maybe not the most naturally talented keeper but certainly should be able to carve out a decent career in the SPL.

Charlie-Brown
I reakon he will be a more than able back up keeper last year - actually reminds me of Roddy McKenzie.

Same stature, and maybe not the most naturally talented keeper but certainly should be able to carve out a decent career in the SPL.

I'd say this is correct :) If Langfield, Soutar, Makalambay, McNeill, M.Brown, G.Smith (both) etc. can play at SPL level clubs then Jamie MacDonald can as well.

Dirk Diggler

He'd be first pick at Hibs, That's for sure.

Have doubts whether he'll do anything at Hearts if i'm being honest.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Can't judge him on one game. Seen him a few times for Scotland and he's looked very competent.

To say he may have saved Boyds free-kick is extremely harsh!

What is a Premier keeper? Hearts (previously had) Rangers & Celtic have International class goalkeepers however the others range from quite good to quite poor.

Someone who is better (and bigger) than McDonald.

MacDonald Jardine

Andy Goram was ****e at crosses too.

He got away with it because he was such a good shotstopper.

If McDonald is as good as him, fair enough.

One thing though;

Jamie McDonald is what? 21?

That's still young for a goalkeeper. Goalkeepers will usually hit their peak at 28/29 and will improve further as they get older. Jamie still has a lot of learning to do.

FWIW, I think he's better than Basso, although probably not better than Bjornsson.

Only a Game

Sorry you might well have seen him several times other than yesterday and be making an informed judgement.

But if your judging purely on yesterday then I dont think there's many goalies in the world, far less the SPL, who would have stopped the first one going in.

The second one he's tried to block and Beasley's put it under his foot. That close in I dont think theres much you can do about it. You get lucky or you dont. He didnt.

The third was a great corner and if he's coming for it he has to go through two of his own defenders to get to it.

Goalkeepers I think , fall naturally into two categories. Those that hardly ever come for a cross and let the defenders deal with it, and those that come for everything they think they've a better than half chance of getting to. As long as the back four know what kind of goalkepper they have and he is fairly consistent in that, then its not really a huge problem.

I thought Jamie's handling, compusure and distribution were fine yesterday. He also had a coupe of decent saves. Very little chance with any of the goals IMO. He looks just fine to me, steady if not spectacular, but then I've only seen him twice on telly to be judging him.

Ray Winstone

We all managed to judge Kurskis on one performance!

Why cant people do it with McDonald?

Anyway as I have said - perhaps back up for us next year - but definitely good enough for an SPL team I would say.

cosanostra

I didn't think he looked great today.

I'd rather have the Motherwell goalie. He has looked excellent against us whenever i've seen him.

$ilvery_Moon

Bit early to judge him yet IMO. See how he does in pre-season. He might be worth a chance.

Everytime I've watched him he hasn't filled me with confidence.

Not prepared to write him off just yet though I'm not sure he'll ever make the cut at Hearts.

Can't be any worse than eddy kurskis or basso but we do need a new no1 how bout getting niemi back from fulham?

Lochend Brazil

I was at the game and that it had been mentioned by the Queens faithful that Jamie has the concrete boots and that he is suspect at crosses.

winston churchill

i watched the scottish cup highlights last night,and even through the leffe beer goggles he was at fault for two of the goals.

thankfully the boys not a member of the 5 year club.

hmfc_liam06

i seem 2 remember a ?9m goalkeeper having 4 put by him in one of his earliest hearts appearances, he done no bad for himself

Suggesting that small goalkeepers can make it because Goram and Niemi did (and you can add Casillas) is just daft. They all were fantastic shot stopping athletes.

McDonald appears to be just about the same size as Banks - and looks to have similar ability. Is that good enough for us?

Suggesting that small goalkeepers can make it because Goram and Niemi did (and you can add Casillas) is just daft. They all were fantastic shot stopping athletes.

McDonald appears to be just about the same size as Banks - and looks to have similar ability. Is that good enough for us?

Niemi and Casillas are both 6ft 1, I'd hardly class either as a 'small goalkeeper'.

Niemi and Casillas are both 6ft 1, I'd hardly class either as a 'small goalkeeper'.

Never 6ft 1 - are they?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iker_Casillas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antti_Niemi

Not the greatest source....McDonald is also allegedly 6ft 1, although of the 3 this looks the least credible.

I guess Niemi is so stocky/powerful he just looks a bit shorter than that! Have only ever seen Casillas on telly, but he looks sub 6 ft to me.

Anyway, the point is that good goalkeepers tend to be a bit bigger. Second rate goalkeepers (Banks - for all his good points is a journeyman, McNeil) tend to be smaller.

Sorry to go off topic - this thread was about McDonald after all, but I am genuinely confused.

Why does Banks get such a hard time from some people ? He has done very little wrong and a hell of a lot right but to some "he is not good enough for Hearts".

We have been spoiled over the years, especially recently, to have had some top/world class goalkeepers, probably better than we have deserved given our standard. Rousset, Niemi, Gordon - all head and shoulders above practically every other goalkeeper in Scotland at the time they played (I mean in ability not necessarily height). Sure, Banks maybe doesn't reach their standards, but is not too far off the mark.

I think some forget we are "only" Heart of Midlothian, not Man U, Chelsea, Barca or whoever, or even (thankfully) Rangers or Celtic. We cannot compete financially to get the best players, so why do some still expect the best players.

What we should look for is the best players we CAN AFFORD. Step forward Steve Banks ?

Dont think he is good enough

IMHO

poor with crossed, sticks to his line to much.

The list is endless

Archived