Lee Johnson wants to play for Scotland

paulyjambo

paulyjambo

Not seen much of him since he left but on the 2 times I have he played out his skin!

FORMER Hearts midfielder Lee Johnson hopes helping Bristol City into the English Premier League will enable him to fulfil his ambition of playing for Scotland.

For the first time, the 26-year-old has explained how his move to Tynecastle in January 2006 was partially motivated by a desire to represent the country of his mother's birth.

Johnson was born in Newmarket but qualifies for Scotland through his

ADVERTISEMENT

Glaswegian mum. He sees that avenue as his only realistic route to international football and joined Hearts from Yeovil Town two years ago intending to make an impression upon then-national coach Walter Smith.

He was released that summer after only five appearances but senses that showcasing himself at a high level of English football may provide a second chance to break into the Scotland squad.

Bristol City, managed by Johnson's father Gary, will attain promotion if they beat Hull City at Wembley today in the Championship play-off final.

"I'm really keen to play for Scotland, that was the whole point of me coming up to Hearts in the first place. My mum was born in Glasgow and all her side of the family are Scottish. I'm hoping that getting into the Premier League will help me stake my claim," said Johnson.

"Even just a B game would be good to let me show what I can do. I'm not sure if the SFA or George Burley know I'm eligible for Scotland. George was down at one of our games earlier this season but I was injured."

Johnson is one of several eligible players at Ashton Gate keen to make themselves available to Burley. He said: "We have a number of lads who can play for Scotland," he said. "There's myself and Jamie McAllister, who already has a full cap. Michael McIndoe, Lewis Carey and David Noble could also do a job. McIndoe has had a B cap, Carey has played for the 21s and Noble has played for Scotland at youth level.

"We are all keen to get involved if possible, none more than myself. It would make my mum's side of the family really happy and I'd love to be able to play international football. If we can get into the Premier League it might give George the incentive to come down and see us."

Rawrrrrrrr

Not good enough

He has been a fringe player for city in the latter parts of this season and is only there because of his father

A league 1 player at best and certainly not capable of breaking into the current scotland international midfield, must be at least 20 odd better midfielders out there including at least 1 at his own club

cosanostra

Have to agree with Prancer, he was quite limited as a player. Not great at passing, quite a hard wee tackler but a bit of a headless chicken. A lot of effort but not much talent.

Have to agree with Prancer, he was quite limited as a player. Not great at passing, quite a hard wee tackler but a bit of a headless chicken. A lot of effort but not much talent.

You've just described Scott Brown there too, mate :laugh:

cosanostra
If Robbie Neilson can play for Scotland - anyone can.

Good point.

Still can't believe that happened.

Don't really understand the comments about not being a good passer.

That was his real strength (in the limited times we saw him). His passing was excellent - both short and long. I remember the pass for a Tall goal at Murrayfield - tremendous.

I doubt that with the likes of Ferguson, Fletcher, Thomson, Brown and Robson that he would ever get a game for Scotland.

And as for McAllister getting another one:dribble:

Ibrahim Tall

Yeah but Neilson only got a game because our full backs on either side were pretty much Scotlands weakest areas(Pre-Hutton), midfield, imo atleast is probably our strongest. Can't see him ever getting ahead of Ferguson/Fletcher/Hartley/Brown/Thomson etc. Would even rate Severin & Nicholson ahead of him tbh.

Rawrrrrrrr
Good point.

Still can't believe that happened.

The difference is at that time we lacked quality right backs and he was next in line for the role, he wouldn't get a look in now

There are countless better central midfielders and Johnson wouldn't even make the B team for me

That was his real strength (in the limited times we saw him). His passing was excellent - both short and long. I remember the pass for a Tall goal at Murrayfield - tremendous.

I doubt that with the likes of Ferguson, Fletcher, Thomson, Brown and Robson that he would ever get a game for Scotland.

I agree with you i thought he was a good passer, and i thought he was a pretty good player, he never really got a chance, did he not play in midfield when we horsed the hobos at Tynecastle ?:107years:

Rawrrrrrrr
I agree with you i thought he was a good passer, and i thought he was a pretty good player, he never really got a chance, did he not play in midfield when we horsed the hobos at Tynecastle ?:107years:

He was not suited to the SPL

He wanted far too much time on the ball and by the time he had decided what he wanted to do with the ball he had been knocked off it by the opposition

It was clear throughout his performances he simply had very little to offer hearts

Hackett was far more hard done by as his pace and wing play could have been a real asset, especially now when we create so few chances

Eh? When?

He Who Cannot Be Named
Eh? When?

Against Osasuna pre season was it not?

alwaysthereinspirit

Living overseas it's always hard to get a feel for new signings other than what's in the media and on here. The day he signed and was interviewed on HW I thought he sounded like the kind of player we needed at that time. Said all the right things and would have worked his @$$ off to improve. Think he could have been a very good player for us. Just didn't fit in with Mad Vlads vision of the perfect Hearts player. I really hope Mad is now seeing the error of his ways.

Spellczech

People should want to play international football for their country not themselves. I say GTF Lee

Smoked-Glass

You're forgetting he actually played really well for us in that game away to Ukraine!

. His long throws were 1st of all a surprise for the ukraines but continued to be a threat after that

. he skinned a guy at their corner flag and was brought down for a free kick to us.

. he provided a brilliant cross to create the best chance of the game for us only for kenny miller to miss the header.

. He used his lifeline well picking up a yellow card by stopping a promising attack.

. the penalty was harsh that he gave away.

Well done robbie.

Archived