Boy sent bill for birthday no-show

LeftBack

Fitzroy Pointon

Wow

Surely there is not a chance he will need to pay that.  Children's parties are becoming ridiculous these days.  

For the woman to win her case, wouldn't she have needed to charge everyone who attended the party for a "ticket"?

She is basically saying the child who didn't turn up cost her ?15 that the other children who attended did not.  Don't fancy her chances of getting her money back, and with legal costs that ?15 could multiply into thousands.

How exactly is she out of pocket over this?

Isn't she out of pocket for everyone anyway.

What a silly cow :rofl:

TBH: It pissed me off when you set something up and people don't turn up, especially when you book tickets/ travel/ accommodation/ places at tables etc.

Although this is a bit extreme I almost with the other parents. because its annoying when you go to the effort an people cancel without telling you. 

I understand where she's coming from although think she's being out of order.

We (I say we, I mean the Mrs) arranged a party for our wee one.

One boys parent told us 2 times that she'd bring him and on party day never brought him.

At least a tenner was spent on his space that we weren't able to give to someone else.

One boys parent told us 2 times that she'd bring him and on party day never brought him.

At least a tenner was spent on his space that we weren't able to give to someone else.

I must admit this is my take on it - no-shows can be a pain in the arse, frustrating and Id certainly think twice about inviting the child to another party.

But to send an invoice.....have a word with yourself

Sexton Hardcastle

**** taking them to a small claims court for 15 quid, go round and slash the fathers tires.

That'll learn him.

I P Knightley

Infuriating and quite selfish behaviour. In a way, I admire the mum in the story for making a big deal of it (haven't yet seen any pictures, mind you). If she didn't, the guy wouldn't have had a second thought about acting like a dick at the next opportunity.

We don't know the sequence of events between the invitation and this hitting the news:

• Had he accepted the invitation?
  • When he realised he was double-booked, did he do anything to tell the mum?
  • Has he apologised to her for the hassle - or just gone straight to the press?

They're all from Cornwall.

I'm with the woman here.   Its a matter of politeness and respect to stick to your commitments in all aspects of life.

Fitzroy Pointon

Cant agree with anyone on the good on her comments.  There is too much pressure on parents these days for their kids to attend parties and its no cheap.  new outfit and a present for the kid for example.  Your in a lose lose situation if you don't go.  We have a neighbour who doesn't speak to us now because my daughter never went to her daughter's party. Embarrassing behaviour from an adult.  So either he get's ostracised for telling her he can't go or he get's ostracised for not telling her AND gets a ?15 bill into the bargain.  

Woman should get her head out her erse and realise there more important things in life than some eggy sandwiches and a face painter.  

I'm with the woman here.   Its a matter of politeness and respect to stick to your commitments in all aspects of life.

The other thing is that 15 quid is a lot to some family's. She could of been working hard, saving, and denying herself for a while to give the son a great party.  

How upset would you be when that cash is wasted!

Maroon Sailor

Sums up 21st Century Britain in a nutshell.

Sums up Janners and Coneheads in a nutshell

kingantti1874

The real problem is parents who think it appropriate to give their children a birthday party of some sort every single year... My kids could easily be in attendance at 20 a year..

I P Knightley

Cant agree with anyone on the good on her comments.  There is too much pressure on parents these days for their kids to attend parties and its no cheap.  new outfit and a present for the kid for example.  Your in a lose lose situation if you don't go.  We have a neighbour who doesn't speak to us now because my daughter never went to her daughter's party. Embarrassing behaviour from an adult.  So either he get's ostracised for telling her he can't go or he get's ostracised for not telling her AND gets a ?15 bill into the bargain.  

Woman should get her head out her erse and realise there more important things in life than some eggy sandwiches and a face painter.  

It's a piece of piss to avoid them when invited.

"Awfy sorry but his granny and grampa are over for their Christmas visit and so he can't come. Would have loved it. Such a shame. Hope y'all have a great time."

Even when it's a lie, it's decent manners.

The ski centre already said that if less people attend there than were invited they put on extra toboggan runs or put a credit behind the bar so that the extra overspend is used up.

Ridiculous for the parents to be invoiced.

Everything that is wrong with Britain in one case.

Craig Gordons Gloves

The real problem is parents who think it appropriate to give their children a birthday party of some sort every single year... My kids could easily be in attendance at 20 a year..

As a parent whose 2 kids each have a birthday party i disagree.  They get to choose the theme and then the wife sorts it out and the kids love it.  In saying that, they're 4 and soon to be 6 so the parties are generally no more than about 8 kids, it's always in the house and the adults get beer and pizza. The kids have 2 days a year when they get something like this - Birthday and Christmas so i don't think it's inppropriate that they have a birthday party.  It is rude when people either don't respond to the invite (that disappoints the kids) or don't turn up - nothing to do with money, it's just simple courtesy. 

As for the bill for not going - she's gone too far but the guy is also a ****** for not letting her know. 

Fitzroy Pointon

It's a piece of piss to avoid them when invited.

"Awfy sorry but his granny and grampa are over for their Christmas visit and so he can't come. Would have loved it. Such a shame. Hope y'all have a great time."

Even when it's a lie, it's decent manners.

So she sticks an invoice in the bag of a five year old child?  

She would be fishing bit's of it out her arse if she put that in my kids bag.  

The mother uses the word 'invite' as a noun. For that she should be strung up.

Tbf she probably thought the kid's parents had disrespected her. Aaaaaaaaaargh.

...a bit disco

It's no wonder the Rangers board are skint when you see the amount of no shows they get on match days.

Why did the boy not just ignore it, why would you go to the papers with it? 

It's just been on the BBC National News for gods sake.

The Dad probably should have told her but she's off her ****ing rocker if she thinks she should bill him.

I would think that as long as the invite didn't mention there'd be a charge for non attendance, she's not got a hope in hell of getting the money.

Maroon Sailor

Hi Julie. This is Alex's mum. I don't know what has happened between you and my partner, Derek. I was very shocked to see the invoice in Alex's school bag. I did not realise that you had to pay for each child, as you never mentioned anything about money when we spoke. The only reason Alex did not attend the party was because his nan and grandad were going away for christmas and the only day the kids could go see them was on the same day as the party. I did not know this. On the day Alex decided that he wanted to spend time with his nan and grandad. I apologise for not letting you know, but I did not have a phone number or an e-mail for you to let you know the situation(I also didn't know your first name, or I would have looked you up). If I had known that I would have to pay if Alex did not go, then I would have paid you the money, no problem. I do not like fighting with people, and would prefer to settle this amicably.

Julie Lawrence

Hi Tanya, I didn't mention the money when we spoke because it was a child's party, it doesn't matter if you have to pay per person or for a group if people agree to going, I confirmed that with all parents on the Thursday before the party that they were going as I had to pay that day, and Derek told me Alex was looking forward to it and would see us there, to me that is confirmation. My phone number was on the invitation that was sent out to Alex. I don't like fighting with people either, and was not best impressed when Derek turned up on my doorstep, and said you won't get any money out of me, rather rudely, I do admit it rattled me. This is not the first time Alex has not turned up to a party that he has been invited to, either. the amicable way round this I believe would be to pay me the money and let a lesson be learnt, I hope this is agreeable? Julie

Tanya Walsh

Hi Julie, whose party is Alex supposed to have gone to? I did speak to another mum about a party but she never got back to me with details, other than that I don't recall any other confirmed invites. The only reason Derek was angry was because of the fact that the envelope was put into Alex's school bag, when it has nothing to do with the school. He spoke to the headteacher about and she said that it's against school policy to do that kind of thing. Birthday invites are fine, but not personal items. Like I said before, no money was mentioned when we spoke, and I feel it would be inappropriate to pay you the money, when I don't know what it's actually paying for. Alex was very excited to go to the party. I didn't know until the day about his nan and grandad, and he decided he would rather spend the day with them. Like I said before I didn't have your number to let you know. And exactly what lesson would I be learning. I am not a child, so please do not speak to me like I am one. So, to answer your question, unfortunately no. This is not agreeable.

Julie Lawrence

You are paying for 1 x child's party at the ski slope including snow tubing and tobogganing and lunch, to with you said Alex was attending on the Thursday

Tanya Walsh

Just so you know, small claims court cost ?60 just to start a claim. Also I'm not paying for something we didn't use.

Julie Lawrence

It doesn't cost that much

Tanya Walsh

It does. Also I don't think the school are very happy with you involving them in this either. I don't know why you are out for our blood and slandering us. I've told you the reasons why Alex didn't go. I also told you why I couldn't call. You also don't seem to understand that I never ran away from you. I didn't hear you calling after me. I have to get to my daughter at carbeile. So if they let Alex out last then I have to rush a bit because evie, my 2 year old, walks slow. So maybe that's why you thought I was rushing off. I had no reason to run to run away from you. So please do not state things as truth when you do not have all the facts. Maybe if you actually spoke to me rather than making your own mind up about what happened then none of this would be happening right now. If you had come up to us the first day back and explained about the money, then I could have explained about alex, then maybe we could have sorted something out. Instead you send an invoice.

It's just been on the BBC National News.

The real problem here is that the BBC has turned into a tabloid.

Sad times :(

I heard this as the last item on Radio 4 news early this afternoon. I pray* that I must have mistakenly tuned into Smooth Radio. If not we're all doomed.

*Of course I didn't pray

Magic Numbers

My Mrs told me about this crap earlier today.  How on earth is this news?  A petty squabble between 2 parents over the sort of thing that you see on Facebook etc every day?  

10-a-penny trivial nonsense argument started by some twat that has some sense of entitlement.  Good on the father for telling her to ram it.  Would not see a penny from me although if asked for upfront (ie at time of the acceptance of the invite) I would probably have no issue with paying.  

Actually about to have a similar thing myself - youngest son has been invited to a birthday party in the Weege, at some Laser Quest sort of place, he wants to go but has a brass band solo contest the same day, so we will accept but warn the other parents.  If we can get from Fife (where we live) to Livi (place of the contest, handily) to the Weege in time, he will attend, if not he won't.  I 100% won't be expecting an invoice either way, although I am pretty sure it will now come up in conversation.  I might even jokingly offer to pay his way.  Probably as a piss take.

Have to admit I think the Beeb are taking the pi55 a bit, no?  Must be a REALLY slow news day.

My Mrs told me about this crap earlier today.  How on earth is this news?  A petty squabble between 2 parents over the sort of thing that you see on Facebook etc every day?  

Have to admit I think the Beeb are taking the pi55 a bit, no?  Must be a REALLY slow news day.

Well, it takes the attention off of how shit the economy is, how we are giving away our sovereignty to corporate bodies in the form of TTIP, that the use of food banks is on the rise and, as such, I assume poverty too.

The BBC news on BBC1 at least, has been tabloid for years.  Aping and mimicking of Sky News in an attempt to curry favour with the viewing public.  Pathetic really.  Style over substance - that's the real Blair years legacy!

I don't know about you, but I'm an adult and can understand words with more than two syllables in them.  I can also hold my attention for longer than two minutes, so don't patronise me BBC, tell me the news, even throw in some analysis (without your touch screen graphs etc - someone talking would do) but for goodness sake, have a bit of respect and integrity and tell us the important stuff.  You are journalists, not chat show hosts!

Well, it takes the attention off of how shit the economy is, how we are giving away our sovereignty to corporate bodies in the form of TTIP, that the use of food banks is on the rise and, as such, I assume poverty too.

The BBC news on BBC1 at least, has been tabloid for years.  Aping and mimicking of Sky News in an attempt to curry favour with the viewing public.  Pathetic really.  Style over substance - that's the real Blair years legacy!

I don't know about you, but I'm an adult and can understand words with more than two syllables in them.  I can also hold my attention for longer than two minutes, so don't patronise me BBC, tell me the news, even throw in some analysis (without your touch screen graphs etc - someone talking would do) but for goodness sake, have a bit of respect and integrity and tell us the important stuff.  You are journalists, not chat show hosts!

On a completely random, almost-relevant, point, does Newsround still exist? My daughter ends up watching the 6 o'clock news and this leads to all sorts of revelations that I am not sure she is ready for.

On a completely random, almost-relevant, point, does Newsround still exist? My daughter ends up watching the 6 o'clock news and this leads to all sorts of revelations that I am not sure she is ready for.

I don't think terrestrial TV do kids shows anymore.

CBBC may do something not sure.

Yes, they do!  http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/

Food banks may be on the rise.  But poverty isn't.    The rise of food banks is a trendy fashion and lads, like my son, blag loads of food from them and keep their own money fro booze and fags.  

Food banks may be on the rise.  But poverty isn't.    The rise of food banks is a trendy fashion and lads, like my son, blag loads of food from them and keep their own money fro booze and fags.  

Just because your boy is selfish, doesn't mean that everyone else that uses them is too.  People will be using them because they have no other option.  Your boy can, and obviously does, what he wants, but karma can come back and bite you on the arse when you least expect it.

Anyway, if people are resorting to using food banks because they can't afford to feed themselves or their family then that is in itself poverty.

Yous all owe me ?75, i have invited all yous too my birthday for the last 5 years . You will receive your invoice in due course.

Archived