Vegetarian Haggis

Tasavallan

Snoop Wifey Wife packed both original and vegetarian haggises in my suitcase. I will have the original on the 25th but I had the vegetarian haggis for my tea today.

I was skeptical before I ate it but was pleasantly surprised. Taste and texture were very near the real thing. With neeps & tatties and broon sauce there was little difference. I will give it 9 yum yums out of 10.

I will definitely be buying this again.

It's improved a lot in the last few years. I tend to find you need a whisky sauce or similar as it can be drier than real haggis. 

So basically, you need to smother it in sauce, to disguise the taste, for it to taste good.

No. What I said was it can be drier than normal haggis, I didn't mention the taste anywhere. 

No. What I said was it can be drier than normal haggis, I didn't mention the taste anywhere.

You didn't. A couple of folk have mentioned adding sauce, though.

Surely if it's veggie, with no sheep guts, it's not haggis?

One that really surprised me was, my mates wife made the full bhuna for us, haggis, neeps and tatties and it was one of the best haggis I have had. It turned out to be tinned haggis. Grants haggis. Take it out the tin and microwave it for 3 minutes. LOVELY

Macsween's vegetarian haggis is lovely, the cheaper ones not so much!

I was scrolling down looking for brands getting mentioned. MacSween's is magic but I rarely see it in shops, especially the microwave slices.

Stack next to alcohol free beer, skimmed milk, diet Irn-Bru, Kraft cheese slices, sugar free polos and ****** flavoured lollipops.

Not for me folks.

Mcsweens vegetarian haggis is really good.

It is a little bit dryer but apart from it being a bit less peppery (which I thought was better) you can't taste the different.

9/10 would buy again.

Cairneyhill Jambo

Surely if it's veggie, with no sheep guts, it's not haggis?

Exactly this. What next? vegetarian steak and chips or mince and tatties. Nah, don't think so.

Exactly this. What next? vegetarian steak and chips or mince and tatties. Nah, don't think so.

And are vegetarian meat balls just balls?

Is vegetarian haggis not seeds, pulses and beans?

Probably too many strange ingredients for the "ME MAN ME EAT MEAT" brigade though :cool:

That plus other vegetables:

http://www.macsween.co.uk/what-is-haggis/

Some predictable unprovoked responses on this thread from those with a chip on their shoulder over vegetarians.

Don't get me wrong im not vegetarian, and meat is a huge part of my diet but I'm not one of those folk who will turn their nose up at food because there's no meat.

A few of my girlfriends family are vegetarians so most of the vegetarian meals I have are with them. Some of the nicest meals ive ever had have been cooked by them :laugh:

Some folk just need their chicken dinosaurs though.

You already get vegetarian mince and steak to I think.

You already get vegetarian mince and steak to I think.

Yup and very nice they are too! Vegetarian and vegan food has come a long way in the last five - ten years.

Don't get me wrong im not vegetarian, and meat is a huge part of my diet but I'm not one of those folk who will turn their nose up at food because there's no meat.

A few of my girlfriends family are vegetarians so most of the vegetarian meals I have are with them. Some of the nicest meals ive ever had have been cooked by them :laugh:

Some folk just need their chicken dinosaurs though.

I am vegetarian but won't preach because its a pointless argument since neither side will agree with each other.  In my case as I was growing up I kept throwing up after eating meat and fish so went Veggie so I could eat food I can keep down!

I do know some people who aren't Vegetarian but meat isn't the focal point of their diet anymore, with Quorn Mince used in a few things like Chili.

Getting back on topic.  Before this thread started yesterday I tried to get a MacSween's Veggie Haggis from Tesco in Corstorphine for Burns Night but they were sold out, and it looked like alternative Veggie Haggis dishes were also gone.  Demand certainly seems to be there for the Veggie Haggis.

Regal Kingston

I've tried it and although decent its not as good as the real thing.

Life is too short to be eating inferior alternatives

Same thing goes with reduced fat/sugar food and drink.

Have the real thing and move a bit more.

Its good to know that the veggie options are improving though!

You never know when the next meat scandal will be.

Most meat substitutes are tasteless (vegi sausages) or vile (pretty much everything else).

Vegi haggis is alright though.

Francis Albert

Never tried it but I am guessing vegetarian haggis is OK compared to other vegetarian stuff because real haggis contains nothing that in most parts of the world would earn the description "meat".

Like haggis though and have my MacSweens ready for the 25th.

Howies veggie haggis is decent.

But it's not haggis.

It's got to be better than their non-vegetarian version.

Stack next to alcohol free beer, skimmed milk, diet Irn-Bru, Kraft cheese slices, sugar free polos and ****** flavoured lollipops.

Not for me folks.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Most meat substitutes are tasteless (vegi sausages) or vile (pretty much everything else).

Vegi haggis is alright though.

A lot of Vegetarians hate most or all meat substitutes, which only seem to be on the market to persuade meat eaters to switch to something that is supposedly healthier.

For Vegetarian food, you can do authentic Indian or Chinese meals that were never meat based and they taste excellent.

Getting back on topic.  Before this thread started yesterday I tried to get a MacSween's Veggie Haggis from Tesco in Corstorphine for Burns Night but they were sold out, and it looked like alternative Veggie Haggis dishes were also gone.  Demand certainly seems to be there for the Veggie Haggis.

I suspect that has more to do with preconceptions about the contents of Haggis and that gives folk the boak so instead of simply tasting it, they go for the veggie option, rather than it being out of any vegetarian conviction (or like yourself, from a physical angle).

Veggie haggis is ok, but prefer "normal" haggis.

tommythejambo

Not veggie haggis, but I've been eating Linda McCartney veggie sausages a lot recently. Outstanding. Taste a bit like stuffing if you get the rosemary and red onion ones.

Number -16 M&S sell Macsween's haggis slices.

Cheers, I'll pop in and have a wee look for them.

A lot of Vegetarians hate most or all meat substitutes, which only seem to be on the market to persuade meat eaters to switch to something that is supposedly healthier.

For Vegetarian food, you can do authentic Indian or Chinese meals that were never meat based and they taste excellent.

I suppose it depends what you class as a meat substitute but I find the opposite to be true of vegans; personally I'm not big on the pre-packaged processed substitute stuff you can get in Holland and Barrett and the like (although it can serve a purpose occasionally and Linda McCartney stuff is ace) but most of the other vegans I know tend to lap the stuff up. It's not necessarily a bad thing marketing the products at meat eaters either; if those sorts of products can convince people who are humming and hawing about going veggie to actually do it then I'm all for them.

Not veggie haggis, but I've been eating Linda McCartney veggie sausages a lot recently. Outstanding. Taste a bit like stuffing if you get the rosemary and red onion ones.

I have an obscene amount of these sitting in the freezer; love them. Keep an eye out for the sausage plaits; they're basically just a big fancy sausage roll, delicious!

Archived