Head Coach of Heart of Midlothian - Still one of the best jobs in Scottish Football

Martin_T

There has been a lot of sniping as to why any prospective manager would want to take the Head Coach/ Manager job at Tynecastle? I think the Scottish press and indeed even some contributors on this forum have forgotten what a fantastic institution our club is, even though we have been tainted by farce in the past couple of years.

Consider some of the statistics and facts related to the job and the club:

-Hearts are one of the oldest and biggest clubs in Scotland, arguably 3rd biggest historically, and certainly in the past 10 years where two Scottish cups have been won and the club has consistently averaged easily the 3rd highest attendances.

-The club has history, tradition and prestige that few other clubs and Scotland can compete with. Bobby Walker, McCrae's Batallion, The Terrible Trio, Dave MacKay, Donald Ford, John Robertson....

-Hearts averaged over 15,000 per home game in terms of attendance, in a season when we finished 8th, Motherwell who finished 3rd, averaged less than 7,000.

-You get to live and work in Edinburgh, one of the beautiful and highly sought after places to live in Europe. This makes it easier to attract players from all over the world.

We are still a bloody fantastic club to be a part of and given any new manager will get to be a part of all of the above and be paid a few hundred thousand pounds a year for the privilege, with the third highest budget in Scotland, frankly I can understand why Mark McGhee appears very keen on the job.

The Real Maroonblood

Your post sums it up that is why it is so frustrating all the crap that has been happening at the club recently.

vegas-voss
There has been a lot of sniping as to why any prospective manager would want to take the Head Coach/ Manager job at Tynecastle? I think the Scottish press and indeed even some contributors on this forum have forgotten what a fantastic institution our club is, even though we have been tainted by farce in the past couple of years.

-Hearts are one of the oldest and biggest clubs in Scotland, arguably 3rd biggest historically, and certainly in the past 10 years where two Scottish cups have been won and the club has consistently averaged easily the 3rd highest attendances.

-The club has history, tradition and prestige that few other clubs and Scotland can compete with. Bobby Walker, McCrae's Batallion, The Terrible Trio, Dave MacKay, Donald Ford, John Robertson....

-Hearts averaged over 15,000 per home game in terms of attendance, in a season when we finished 8th, Motherwell who finished 3rd, averaged less than 7,000.

-You get to live and work in Edinburgh, one of the beautiful and highly sought after places to live in Europe. This makes it easier to attract players from all over the world.

We are still a bloody fantastic club to be a part of and given any new manager will get to be a part of all of the above and be paid a few hundred thousand pounds a year for the privilege, with the third highest budget in Scotland, frankly I can understand why Mark McGhee appears very keen on the job.

Thought just about exactly the same as you have written when i read todays Scotsman article.

Guest JamboRobbo

Yes indeed it is. If Vlad keeps his mits off the team sheet.

With Vlad interfering, it's a job nobody would want.

portobellojambo1

I agree with what you say above Martin, the job at Hearts should be seen by managers as the most lucrative in Scottish club football out with the OF.

However much of what has gone on at Tynecastle may cause them to think again, not saying it will, but it may. The money may make it totally appealing for some, come what may, but I would think there may be those who will look beyond the money, and take into account things like job prospects, job satisfaction etc. Many people move jobs for more money, but if it all goes tits up they then generally have the option of looking around for a comparable job at a huge variety of other companies. Football managers coming to Tynecastle, and then discovering it is not working out, or getting the sack relatively quickly, have a fairly limited number of places they can then go to look for employment of a similar level within the same field of work.

Rawrrrrrrr

Utter bull

No job were your a glorified yes man who doesnt have full say in team selection and no choice in transfers is hot property

If it was we would have been unindated with top level applications since January 1st

Clearly we haven't been

Utter bull

No job were your a glorified yes man who doesnt have full say in team selection and no choice in transfers is hot property

If it was we would have been unindated with top level applications since January 1st

Clearly we haven't been

Are you seriously maintaining that the bulleted points I have stated are 'utter bull'?

At times Prancer, it is easy to see why you are easily one of the most hated contributors on this forum. If you act like you do on here in real life, I seriously doubt you have any friends.

maroonedinoz

The positivre have all been clearly stated by Portie Jambo.

Unfortunately the negative is VLAD.

As long as he is there then the positives are well and truly outdone by the sole negative!

Rawrrrrrrr
Are you seriously maintaining that the bulleted points I have stated are 'utter bull'?

At times Prancer, it is easy to see why you are easily one of the most hated contributors on this forum. If you act like you do on here in real life, I seriously doubt you have any friends.

No I didn't even waste my time reading the post, your title is utter bull

The hearts job is no longer seen as desirable, if it was we would have had no problem recruting a top level manager

the hearts job was a great prospect, now its a 6 month temp role before you get sacked for doing a half decent job whilst not playing the diddy lithuanians

Pants Shaton

You shouldn't bother dignifying his post with a response.

The fact that everything he posts is contrary to what most people believe just serves to prove how much he craves attention - regardless of the cost.

1207638120_1493_mr_t.jpg

"I pity the fool"

The hearts job is no longer seen as desirable, if it was we would have had no problem recruting a top level manager

the hearts job was a great prospect, now its a 6 month temp role before you get sacked for doing a half decent job whilst not playing the diddy lithuanians

Clearly this is the case when we are about to secure the services of a man interviewed for the Scotland job a few months back, who has just led his club to European qualification.....every time the Hearts job comes up, the club receives a number of applications from candidates of reasonable calibre.

When Burley was sacked, Ranieri agreed to be interviewed for the role, Billy Davies declared his interest. When Rix left the club had interest from Matthaus, Mikailatchenko, last summer Neil Warnock declared interest in the job and Billy Davies again declared that would be interested when the job came up in January. Even with Romanov's interference, significant interest in the job has remained, this is due to the stature and location of the club and yes the potential salary on offer.

If Romanov truly has changed, and we can but hope...the Hearts job is as I suggest still one of the most attractive jobs in Scottish football.

Rawrrrrrrr
Clearly this is the case when we are about to secure the services of a man interviewed for the Scotland job a few months back, who has just led his club to European qualification.....every time the Hearts job comes up, the club receives a number of applications from candidates of reasonable calibre.

When Burley was sacked, Ranieri agreed to be interviewed for the role, Billy Davies declared his interest. When Rix left the club had interest from Matthaus, Mikailatchenko, last summer Neil Warnock declared interest in the job and Billy Davies again declared that would be interested when the job came up in January. Even with Romanov's interference, significant interest in the job has remained, this is due to the stature and location of the club and yes the potential salary on offer.

If Romanov truly has changed, and we can but hope...the Hearts job is as I suggest still one of the most attractive jobs in Scottish football.

What makes you think we are about to secure his services?

Both he and his Assistant have said they havent spoken to hearts, hearts have had their approach turned down and nothing I have seen means that they are on the verge of signing

We could want Jose Mourinho as manager, it doesnt mean its going to happen

Its funny how the club never seems capable of keeping the ST boosting info quiet

I am still not convinced it will happen and I dont for a second think the hearts job is one of the best otherwise we would have had applicants lining up which we haven't

Both he and his Assistant have said they havent spoken to hearts, hearts have had their approach turned down and nothing I have seen means that they are on the verge of signing

Its funny how the club never seems capable of keeping the ST boosting info quiet

I am still not convinced it will happen and I dont for a second think the hearts job is one of the best otherwise we would have had applicants lining up which we haven't

Time will tell.:cool:

Incidently I haven't renewed my season ticket yet and wont do so until the appointment is confirmed, for what it's worth.

Clerry Jambo

Don't know why I respond to the constant drivel that you post - but could we have a source please on your fact that there isn't a line of applicants wanting the job? :107years:

Rawrrrrrrr
Don't know why I respond to the constant drivel that you post - but could we have a source please on your fact that there isn't a line of applicants wanting the job? :107years:

Well surely if we had a line of top class candidates submitting CV's we wouldnt have taken almost 6 months to fill the job?

I think that the approach to Motherwell is the most positive thing at the club for a very long time.

We have to assume that if we are trying to bring in a real manager that someone behind the scenes has realised that Vladimir can no longer manage the team. With the Burley situation there was no history of how Romanov worked - McGhee will be fully aware of the last 2 1/2 years. So he will have the right provisos in the putative contract. Under that situation of VR goes back to his bad old ways then McGhee will leave. And the fans will turn fully against VR.

In the meantime we would get a real football manager. Now, of course the squad would need taken apart by McGhee. I would expect no more than half a dozen of this year's first team to be there in a year under McGhee. I would expect all our luxury players such as Kingston to go as well as the Kaunas loanees. But things might - perhaps at the end of this very long tunnel - are finally starting to get brighter.

Well surely if we had a line of top class candidates submitting CV's we wouldnt have taken almost 6 months to fill the job?

We would if the man we wanted was not available until now. If MM was the man identified as first choice then why appoint someone else ?

So you base that narrow narrow narrow narrow narrow narrow (need I go on) minded response based on a subject title. Speaks volumes about you.

You are beyond belief and I have some disturbing thoughts in my head of you sitting in front of your PC in a darkened bedroom with a stupid grin on your face whilst you type your bile.

I might possibly be facing a suspension here as this is the first time I have possibly made a personal attack on someone but...I don't care. JamboRobbo has opinions I sometimes disagree with but at least we can have a dignified chat and agree to disagree - I think we both have HMFC at heart (pardon the pun).

I just don't see that with you and to be honest, why we should even put up with it on the pretence that (it's an open board so everyone has an opinion) just pees me off.

Yes we can all put you on ignore but I'd probably be banned for making such a suggestion.

We all accept out club is not being run well and needs a huge shake up - but to say it is still not a big club that a very large number of managers would love to be in charge of is just being an erse for erses sake.

You, my man...are an erse.

Gigolo-Aunt

I have yet to read a positive post about yesterdays move from Hearts by your posts.

Some of the biggest cynics on Kickback, whilst adding caution - have admitted that its a huge step in the right direction.

Shame you could not have done so yourself.

I have yet to read a positive post about yesterdays move from Hearts by your posts.

Some of the biggest cynics on Kickback, whilst adding caution - have admitted that its a huge step in the right direction.

He's not touching himself GA :-)

I hate it when I agree with you :)

You'll be buying a ST then?

I hate it when I agree with you :)

You'll be buying a ST then?

Ach you love it really Hammy!:P

...not until the appointment of a manager, whether it be McGhee or whoever (whoever doesn't include Frail), is confirmed.

john brownlee

Five days then and you lose your seat to someone else.

I hope the racist bigots in front of me leave it too late to keep their seats (been missing since the split)

Maybe I will have some ST holders from the main stand instead of one season wonders

I personally think Hearts should have a bad season every five or so years just to weed out the imposters

blackmail never works

remember last season the late renewers moaned because they didn't get their free diddy cup ticket.

If I was Mr Romanov the day before the new manager is announced I would slap ?50 on the price of the ST because you are only buying your ticket because you think the goods are better

come on the Queen of the South, the only football team mentioned in the bible

winston churchill

dont waste your time GA,he gets his jollies from trying to be controversial & argumentative.

davemclaren

I hope the racist bigots in front of me leave it too late to keep their seats (been missing since the split)

Maybe I will have some ST holders from the main stand instead of one season wonders

I personally think Hearts should have a bad season every five or so years just to weed out the imposters

blackmail never works

remember last season the late renewers moaned because they didn't get their free diddy cup ticket.

If I was Mr Romanov the day before the new manager is announced I would slap ?50 on the price of the ST because you are only buying your ticket because you think the goods are better

Radical. ;)

I don't know why we even read his posts, CJ. I can't remember him ever posting something positive. Dear knows why he supports Hearts with such a negative attitude. Anyway, i agree with Martin's post and I do believe that we will have had quite a few reasonable candidates asking Campbell for details of the job brief etc. and he has advised that, in his opinion., McGhee is the best of the bunch so far.

Used to be Martin,I'm sorry but Vlad has turned what you say into a complete circus where everything is cloak and dagger,no one trusts Hearts anymore, about anything.

I would doubt very much if I'm the only person who doesn't recognise this as the same club I have supported for 30 odd years to the extent, regardless if we get a good manager, I do not want to go back.

Maybe after a wee break I will change my mind,but at the moment we are not the once proud Heart of Midlothian Football Club we used to be and only one man is to blame.

FFS if even Hearts supporters are turning their backs on the club what do outsiders think.

blackmail never works

This is off topic from the point of the thread, but I'd quite happily pay ?400 to watch decent football under a good manager than shell out ?350 to watch another season of utter, utter pish.....and if/when I do renew by the way, it'll be the 12th season in a row....so it's nowt to do with loyalty or lack of it, and everything to do with a sense of conviction that I could no longer tolerate the way the club was being run. The only way I personally could try and influence that in any way was by not renewing my season ticket, ultimately this may be futile, but I'm sticking by the courage of my conviction.

PresidentRomanov

Head coach of Heart of Midlothian, is the best job in Scottish football - outside the old firm - by a mile.

But what people should remember is, the main reason for this, is the resources that are made available thanks to Mr Romanov.

The most hated man at Tynecastle, is the reason we're not on a par with Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and the likes.

Might want to think about that next time you wish he'd pack up and leave us :confused:

Head coach of Heart of Midlothian, is the best job in Scottish football - outside the old firm - by a mile.

But what people should remember is, the main reason for this, is the resources that are made available thanks to Mr Romanov.

The most hated man at Tynecastle, is the reason we're not on a par with Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and the likes.

Might want to think about that next time you wish he'd pack up and leave us :confused:

Correct Pickybum we are well below their par or had you not noticed we are bottom 6 they are all top 6.

well done for spotting that.

PresidentRomanov
Correct Pickybum we are well below their par or had you not noticed we are bottom 6 they are all top 6.

well done for spotting that.

Are you pretending to miss the point, or are you just very dim :confused:

Who Prancer? That's harsh!

jambos are go!

Given a probable ?10 million wage fund MM should be able to mount a serious challenge IMO.

The usual Prancer spouting of pish, i see.

Openly admits that he's not even read the first post, yet fires in there calling the thread 'utter bull'.

:mw_rolleyes: How much longer will he get away with it for?

As for the original topic.. Living in one of the world's most beautiful cities, being paid a big salary and working at a state-of-the-art training centre for one of Scotland's oldest footballing institutions. Says it all.

The fact is that outside of the old firm we've got the biggest fanbase in Scotland by some distance. Anybody who has followed Hearts over a period of time realises that the potential is always there and under George Burley we got a wee glimpse of what might be - perhaps that's what has made the last 2 seasons so frustrating.

IF we appoint Mark McGhee and IF he is given full control over the team and time to sort things out there may just be some hope that Heart of Midlothian can go places.

The original poster makes a good point.

Prancer is a negative, twisted, deluded, grumpy old man.........of 21!

Rick Grimes

blue_tit_300_tcm9-139623.jpg

HBB0115.attentionpink.jpg

Archived