The 2015 General Election Megathread

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

The Mighty Thor

I'm well aware of how budget allocation and management works. 

okay then.

That's actually a good point. I don't know enough about how the process works, 

uh huh?

Dunno, and to be honest it was only ?165 million from a ?3bn budget in total. To be honest I'm not that bothered about details like that.

?165m of ?3bn is approximately 5.5% which i'd imagine is probably not a huge amount outside budget tolerances on public finance.

can 'you people' not look at the information first before jumping in?

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aussieh

• JamboX2

• TheMaganator

• Boris

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Mighty Thor

It was ?444m the year before

which would then go back into the budgetary pot and be re-allocated. Just like Westminster. Just like the EU.

It's how budgets work.

Thunderstruck

which would then go back into the budgetary pot and be re-allocated. Just like Westminster. Just like the EU.

It's how budgets work.

Revenue budgets?

The Mighty Thor

Revenue budgets?

the majority of governmental revenue budgets run at a deficit (including UK) so if there's nowt to be reallocated then it won't be reallocated.

Unless of course you're roping me in for a smart answer so fire away! :)

Thunderstruck

the majority of governmental revenue budgets run at a deficit (including UK) so if there's nowt to be reallocated then it won't be reallocated.

Unless of course you're roping me in for a smart answer so fire away! :)

I would need to check but I am sure that public sector revenue budgets have no scope for carry forward. Funds can flow in an out of very limited reserves but that is very tightly controlled.

HaymarketJambo

The SNP are excellent at big rhetoric and centrist policies. They've won 3 elections on it (well 2 and won the majority of Scottish seats to be a pedant). 1,000s have flocked because the campaign last year did invigorate the SNP. They had the positive message to sell. The job of a No campaign is to rebut assertions. The No camp failed, as Brown and other said after, to offer a very positive vision. Had say Brown and Charles Kennedy led No then they'd have offered a more positive and open campaign than the accountants exercise of Darling.

What is this fresh outlook? You can be positive in talking about inequality but still fail to offer the policies to meet it head on. The SNP have adopted a Blairite position, as have the Tories. Talk big, do big talk policies which actually achieve little. For example, the expansion of the EMA of late. Great idea. But what does it do to improve attainment? Defend child tax credits, but do little to improve the affordability and availability of child care for all which would be good for everyone but especially the worst off.

I know the SNP are very popular. I know they talk "positively" but they are achieving little in their goals of creating a wealthier, fairer and greener Scotland. Any other party would be being dragged over hot coals. A big part of their success is an extremely slick and well oiled media machine which is doing very well at maintaining a good spin on it.

If you can explain fresh outlook with solid examples please do. I personally see little difference. They're trying tried and tested solutions to old problems, not assessing how the state itself is largely at fault for why we have low social mobility, why we have poor health nationally and why we have high social deprivation. Nothing radical is being considered here and preventative spending is not favoured.

To offer it for the SNP and the rest compare the manifesto of the SNP to the Labour Party and LibDems. The Greens were more dynamic, leftist and reforming on all fronts than the SNP.

Labour have opposed many of the worst welfare cuts. In Scotland the SNP were dragged by Labour to spend money to cancel the bedroom tax in Scotland. The SNP have done little to offer a fresh alternative to many of the problems we face. Their default is we wouldn't do that... But the SNP don't offer a fresh alternative. If you want to be honest, they're defending Blair's consensus. Labour is actually looking at going beyond it and reshaping the state to be proactive, which means lower welfare but services to cover welfare payments. Ie less child tax credit more free child care.

What Harman done was stupid and wrongheaded and split the party. That won't happen again because of the damage it done. It's also why Kendall won't be a leader ever or Ummuna. Harman took their advice and suffered.

A really good post, as you can imagine I disagree with some it, but still a good post. 

"@NicolaSturgeon says it was 'absolutely correct' for 'change' proposition to have been more scrutinised than No during #indyref #EdTVFest"

So Sturgeon accepts it.

So everybody agrees the BBC were biased

:fing25:

I'm totally up for a dedicated Scottish channel ran by the BBC. After all we have alba dedicated to a few folk in Scotland. Why not one for us all??!?

I'm totally up for a dedicated Scottish channel ran by the BBC. After all we have alba dedicated to a few folk in Scotland. Why not one for us all??!?

Itll be cronic, thats how.

I don't

I wasn't watching it though!

:D

Seriously GK, it was negative reporting everday, nothing on the positive side.

See the patter we had and still have, about Rangers not being in the Top League.xgoogle

Everyday.

Oh, and its still going on.

Edited by aussieh

Itll be cronic, thats how.

Says Mr Scotland?

I reckon it would be an idea to have a BBC Scotland/Wales/NI channel and a regionalised output in England.

:D

Seriously GK, it was negative reporting everday, nothing on the positive side.

See the patter we had and still have, about Rangers not being in the Top League.xgoogle

Everyday.

Oh, and its still going on.

Is this not what everyone says about their media coverage?

Thatcher did, Blair did, Brown did, Salmond and Sturgeon are about the BBC. They all can't be right surely.

What was your view of STVs coverage? Sky News or C4? Any different view there?

All Scots do.

If you dont, your biased.

FACT.

Surely that's your bias? Not a fact but a subjective view on the media coverage.

Surely if it's devolved, or federalised as Sturgeon puts it, we'll receive all licence money raised rather than the poultry amount that we're currently given.

BBC Scotland could start by pumping more money into the football, be that domestic or international.

Is this not what everyone says about their media coverage?

Thatcher did, Blair did, Brown did, Salmond and Sturgeon are about the BBC. They all can't be right surely.

What was your view of STVs coverage? Sky News or C4? Any different view there?

Theyre not fully funded government entities.

They can chase their own agenda.

Surely that's your bias? Not a fact but a subjective view on the media coverage.

Im not biased, I hate everybody.

"@NicolaSturgeon says it was 'absolutely correct' for 'change' proposition to have been more scrutinised than No during #indyref #EdTVFest"

So Sturgeon accepts it.

A central part of Massie's article and he nails it with his closing line "In other words, the press was right to be "biased" against the SNP and Yes Scotland. That's its job."

But the BBC isn't the press.  The BBC is public broadcasting and by its nature, neutral.  I'm not sure Massie's argument fits with the BBC.

TheMaganator

A central part of Massie's article and he nails it with his closing line "In other words, the press was right to be "biased" against the SNP and Yes Scotland. That's its job."

But the BBC isn't the press. The BBC is public broadcasting and by its nature, neutral. I'm not sure Massie's argument fits with the BBC.

That can't be right. The BBC performs a public service and part of that service is scrutiny of politicians.

Sturgeon accepts the side proposing change should be scrutinised more.

Here we are though - a year on and the Yes camp are still looking for people to blame (grievance, grudge) rather than looking at themselves and the shoddy campaign they ran.

It was the Yes camp wot lost it. Nobody else.

That can't be right. The BBC performs a public service and part of that service is scrutiny of politicians.

Sturgeon accepts the side proposing change should be scrutinised more.

Here we are though - a year on and the Yes camp are still looking for people to blame (grievance, grudge) rather than looking at themselves and the shoddy campaign they ran.

It was the Yes camp wot lost it. Nobody else.

Not denying that YES shot itself in the foot and not denying that it needed scrutiny.

But an impartial broadcaster has a duty to ask rigorous questions of both sides.  

BBC seemed, imo, to be less even handed in its reporting (or lack of!) during the campaign.  That's not why YES lost, and I've never made that point at all.  If anything I have been rather forward in blaming the SNP's dominance of the YES campaign as the major factor.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Must have made this point in here 100 times:

If you are pushing for massive, nation-redefining constitutional change, the onus is on you to justify it, not the other way round. Therefore more questions are asked of the yes campaign. It's really not difficult to understand.

Wings over Scotland is a joke site btw.

https://notesfromnorthbritain.wordpress.com/2015/08/28/i-am-seeking-election-to-the-scottish-parliament-heres-why/

The good Prof Thomkins is standing for office at Homyrood.

Read his piece. Anyone with critical capacity should be concerned by the SNP's record in office

Tory cuts=people die.

But, but #SNPBAD they gave people a council tax freeze.

Tory cuts=people die.

SNP establish Police Scotland. Police Scotland leave roadside accident motorist to die and man dies in police custody. SNP's directly culpable here yes?

That's your logic Aussie.

https://notesfromnorthbritain.wordpress.com/2015/08/28/i-am-seeking-election-to-the-scottish-parliament-heres-why/

Read his piece. Anyone with critical capacity should be concerned by the SNP's record in office

I stopped reading when he described the Conservatives as "principled" in the opening paragraph.

You're a Tory, good for you, but I would say how can you be if you had any critical capacity yourself?  The SNP's record in office may well be poor, I suspect it's mixed but that's here nor there, but a look at any Tory Government's records and I know they are poor!

Tory cuts=people die.

More UKbad i see. It's their fault for everything after all. That has to be the way to further the independence cause.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/support-workers-blame-snp-funding-6315944

600 people dying under SNP - those council tax freezes and free prescriptions don't come out of thin air - they cut spending elsewhere. No doubt the UK are to blame again?

More UKbad i see. It's their fault for everything after all. That has to be the way to further the independence cause.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/support-workers-blame-snp-funding-6315944

600 people dying under SNP - those council tax freezes and free prescriptions don't come out of thin air - they cut spending elsewhere. No doubt the UK are to blame again?

This is a prime example of where Scottish politics is at.

The problem or the policy isn't really the point, is it?

If the SNP are responsible, then it must be bad because they want independence.

If it is from Westminster it must be bad because we want independence.

Is it as shallow as that?

So much for (either) side moving on.

TheMaganator

I stopped reading when he described the Conservatives as "principled" in the opening paragraph.

You're a Tory, good for you, but I would say how can you be if you had any critical capacity yourself? The SNP's record in office may well be poor, I suspect it's mixed but that's here nor there, but a look at any Tory Government's records and I know they are poor!

They are principled. It's just those principals differ from yours.

I know the Tories get things wrong. But we are talking about the Holyrood elections here.

And if you stop reading something because you don't agree with a sentence in it then you will end up a nationalist.

SNP establish Police Scotland. Police Scotland leave roadside accident motorist to die and man dies in police custody. SNP's directly culpable here yes?

That's your logic Aussie.

Didnt say they werent.

You voting tory now?

They are principled. It's just those principals differ from yours.

I know the Tories get things wrong. But we are talking about the Holyrood elections here.

And if you stop reading something because you don't agree with a sentence in it then you will end up a nationalist.

Like sending an expenses fraudster to the House of Lords?

Or sending a perjurer to the House of Lords?

To name one Tory principle.

You're right.  Not my kind of principles.

Hahaha - end up a Nationalist?  Jeez, Mag.  You think?  

image.png

300 years of oppression, they cant fix it in 8.
TheMaganator

Like sending an expenses fraudster to the House of Lords?

Or sending a perjurer to the House of Lords?

To name one Tory principle.

You're right. Not my kind of principles.

Hahaha - end up a Nationalist? Jeez, Mag. You think?

image.png

Dismissing opinions and articles you don't agree with with will lead to a blinkered political existence - like nationalists

Dismissing opinions and articles you don't agree with with will lead to a blinkered political existence - like nationalists

Mag, I can read it but it will not lead me to vote Tory.

Nothing could bring me to do that!

Nationalists are blinkered?  That's quite a, err, blinkered view, wouldn't you say?

jack D and coke

Blinkered political opinions you say?? Ironic much?

I'm sure your tongue is firmly in your cheek there mags[emoji1]

TheMaganator

Nationalists are blinkered?  That's quite a, err, blinkered view, wouldn't you say?

Not at all. It is a well informed view after spending many, many years engaging with them and reading the shite they come out with. 

Blinkered political opinions you say?? Ironic much?

I'm sure your tongue is firmly in your cheek there mags[emoji1]

:lol: think you need to stop listening to Alanis Morissette, JD. :thumbsup:

Malinga the Swinga

I really wish I knew how to put you on ignore.

Itis quite easy and most enjoyable. Go to your account, select Manage Ignore Preferences and then input name of who you want to block. Life becomes far more enjoyable without constant abuse.
The Mighty Thor

I was welling up. I could hear land of hope and glory in the background.

Stirring stuff. Myopic, disingenuous, but stirring nonetheless.

Perhaps he'll finish fourth in his constituency and be elected from the list, like Ruth. But hey, That's democracy. :thumb:

Malinga the Swinga

Just as nothing will persuade me that, as things stand, there is any viable alternative to the Conservative party. The Labour Party has imploded, the Liberals are discredited, the Greens are full of ideas that belong in a different century, and as for the SNP, hell wil freeze over before that bunch, and its uber fanatical supporters, receive my vote.