Spelling and Punctuation

Rods

Right Guys opinion's please

Do you think people who correct other people spelling or Punctuation, on message boards are

a) smug gits

B) Privately Educated

C) Showing Off

Or should they give people a break, as people often type messages.

When they are at work,in in a hurry etc.

gorgie twins

Give people a break - it is a forum hardly an English degree!! Anyway sometimes you are in such a hurry to post you just don't give a rats whether you have spelt things correctly!! As long as they get the point across that does us!

:)

hughesie27

Do you think people who correct other people's spelling or Punctuation, on message boards are:

a) smug gits

B) Privately Educated

C) Showing Off

Or should they give people a break, as people often type messages when they are at work, in a hurry etc.

:hobofish:

Depends who's making the spelling or punctuation mistakes, and whether they're trying to make themselves out as smarter than others. In that case, they're fair game for a cheap shot.

I'm sure you won't have to venture too far from here to see what I mean!

Commander Harris

Often people will pick up on typos to avoid actually interacting with the argument, it's usually a sign that the argument has been lost IMO.

I'm no pedant(not in the context of a messageboard anyway!) - as long as the meaning is clear I don't really mind.

Cheers Guys

I have been experiencing this a lot lately,on this message board

I think as Long as they point is made, then it is okay for a typo.

I'm secretly very, very dumb indeed.

I like to act clever, and use vewy vewy big words at job interviews. Usually the interviewer gives in.

davemclaren
grammartime.gif

Grammar is important, it's one of the many things that seperates us from the hobos.

I assume that spelling is a separate issue though? :cool_shades:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Cheers Guys

I have been experiencing this a lot lately,on this message board

I think as Long as they point is made, then it is okay for a typo.

:cool:

alwaysthereinspirit

More A and C than B.

I'm not smart enough to be correcting other peoples mistakes.

The Doctor
I assume that spelling is a separate issue though? :cool_shades:

Absolutely, I find it important to separate the two.

:rolleyes:

alwaysthereinspirit

Do you think people who correct other people spelling or Punctuation, on message boards are

a) smug gits

B) Privately Educated

C) Showing Off

You can usually tell when peepal huv rushd they're fred.

It's really difficult if you're of a generation that has been taught to spell correctly and really, nothing to do with being smug. I can't get my eyes to move past the mistakes and weirdly placed apostrophes. :wacko:

Commander Harris
It's really difficult if you're of a generation that has been taught to spell correctly and really, nothing to do with being smug. I can't get my eyes to move past the mistakes and weirdly placed apostrophes. :wacko:

I must admit, weirdly placed apostrophes annoy me too.

Agree. I cringe, but I think that text messaging and,as my daughter has just informed me,computer text, (she writes quickly to get a reply to her mates on the computer') have a lot to answer for. I long for the days when kids go back to quills and ink-wells plus the tawse for smudging their written home-work.

Agree. I cringe, but I think that text messaging and,as my daughter has just informed me,computer text, (she writes quickly to get a reply to her mates on the computer') have a lot to answer for. I long for the days when kids go back to quills and ink-wells plus the tawse for smudging their written home-work.

I agree with this

Writing is being lost in translation

How about the word 'wir'? The weegies seem to think that this word is part of the Chambers Dictionary. I shout at the radio when I hear the likes of Willie Miller and Jimmy Calderwood using this non-word.

While I'm on this rant, why do those in the south of England pronounce 'th' as 'f' ie fink as opposed to think. AAAARGH

For some reason people seem to put apostrophes in as many words as possible regardless of whether they are needed or not. It seems simple to me. I don't understand why it is so difficult.

Commander Harris
How about the word 'wir'? The weegies seem to think that this word is part of the Chambers Dictionary. I shout at the radio when I hear the likes of Willie Miller and Jimmy Calderwood using this non-word.

While I'm on this rant, why do those in the south of England pronounce 'th' as 'f' ie fink as opposed to think. AAAARGH

I've got nothing against the use of Scots words like "wir" to be honest.

it would be a tad boring if everyone in the UK spoke exactly the same way.

I've got nothing against the use of Scots words like "wir" to be honest.

it would be a tad boring if everyone in the UK spoke exactly the same way.

OK I can see where you're coming from, but 'wir' is such a weegie word that it makes me want to question those at the BBC who allow this type of questionable speech.

Often people will pick up on typos to avoid actually interacting with the argument, it's usually a sign that the argument has been lost IMO.

I'm no pedant(not in the context of a messageboard anyway!) - as long as the meaning is clear I don't really mind.

I think you'll find there should be a space between pedant and the opening bracket there.

I think you'll find there should be a space between pedant and the opening bracket there.

For God's sake Commander, get your bracketing right;)

I P Knightley

a) smug gits

B) Privately Educated

C) Showing Off

How about:

D) being helpful - sharing their knowledge with those who clearly didn't pay attention at school and may suffer in the workplace environment if they don't buck up their writing and general communication?

or

E) signalling that they have the upper hand in an argument as abuse of apostrophes is clearly a sign of a limitied intellectual capacity?

Maybe

F) suffering an obsessive compulsion, finding sloppy grammar as grating and jarring as pubes in the soap?

The smug ones just sit back and smirk, basking in their superiority. If you're going to be truly smug, you're not going to make the effort to point it out to your 'inferior.'

Private education doesn't particularly separate folk out on the spelling & grammar. Most of the folk I work with who are good at writing came through comprehensive education. It's just a few simple rules after all.

How about:

D) being helpful - sharing their knowledge with those who clearly didn't pay attention at school and may suffer in the workplace environment if they don't buck up their writing and general communication?

or

E) signalling that they have the upper hand in an argument as abuse of apostrophes is clearly a sign of a limitied intellectual capacity?

Maybe

F) suffering an obsessive compulsion, finding sloppy grammar as grating and jarring as pubes in the soap?

The smug ones just sit back and smirk, basking in their superiority. If you're going to be truly smug, you're not going to make the effort to point it out to your 'inferior.'

Private education doesn't particularly separate folk out on the spelling & grammar. Most of the folk I work with who are good at writing came through comprehensive education. It's just a few simple rules after all.

Limitied?

It's not 'wir' that bothers me, it's 'siuation' (ie without the 't'). Does my feckin' brain in!

It's not 'wir' that bothers me, it's 'siuation' (ie without the 't'). Does my feckin' brain in!

I'll give you that one. Cannot stand it.

a) smug gits

B) Privately Educated

C) Showing Off

C-

Must try harder.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I hate to tell you this but kids now are also taught how to spell correctly. :rolleyes:

Knowing how to spell correctly and typing a message quickly are two different things.

BoJack Horseman

I'm not a fan of the text speak used on messageboards. You have as many characters as you want, you don't need to remove any. I can forgive typos, but the incorrect use of there/their/they're and where/wear/were get my goat.

Archived