East Lothian Beaches

Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger

My Mates wanting to take the family to the beach tomorrow weather depending and they fancy going down the east coast. Anyone reccommend a beach? I said Pease bay but I dunno if there are any other nice ones down there?

Seacliff @ Tantallon Castle. Perfection.

Toxteth O'Grady

Good choice I haven't been there for ages, do they still have the coin operated barrier?

In these easterly winds it will be a bit cool on this coast, should be a fair bit of surf though

Good choice I haven't been there for ages, do they still have the coin operated barrier?

In these easterly winds it will be a bit cool on this coast, should be a fair bit of surf though

No idea. Not been down there for ages myself. Cracking beach though.

Coldingham Bay with the cliff top walk to St. Abbs is one of our favourites.

thats what i was gonna say,i love going down to coldingham bay

North Berwick Jambo

Probably the best & it just 2 mins down the road from me ;)

untitled-1.jpg

LizzyHearts2

I know it's not east lothian, but try Bamburgh Beach, just down the A1. It's gorgeous, and the castle is a great place to visit too.

North Berwick Jambo

Took both these photo's with my moblie a few weeks ago from the harbour in North Berwick, great spot to sit, have a beer & watch the sunset on a nice evening ;)

DSC00046.jpg

DSC00050.jpg

Chip Douglas
Go to Gullane,

They got a chippy there now! And its no to bad!

Paul, Gullane's pash compared to Seacliff.

The east wind is pretty chilly down here at the moment feels a lot colder than in Edinburgh

The Doctor

Many years ago, this girl I was strolling out with took me to a very private and secluded beach somewhere in East Lothian. I have no idea where it was, maybe between Longniddry and Aberlady, that kind of area. We had to park the car and walk maybe half a mile to this beach which was quite inaccessible by car. It was beautiful and quite deserted, even though it was a lovely day.

I've tried to find it once or twice since, but to no avail.

Anyone got any ideas where I'm thinking of?

Harry Palmer

I thought the folk in Gullane didn't want a chippy because of the smell!

Try Belhaven Bay in combo with Tyninghame, ok you may need to drive for about 10mins but well worth it as is Dunbar Harbour(tho quite smelly!!) with the very ruined castle. You may also take in the John Muir home that is on the High St (Sorry for going on but Dunbar is my hometown!). There is also White Sands which is just a short walk from Barns Ness (Lighthouse) just off the A1 and Skateraw has a quiet beach (although in the shelter of Torness!! so look out for glowing fish etc!!!maybe?!).

As a previous poster has mentioned go to St Abbs (not E Lothian) but if you go to the 'Head' and lighthouse/cliffs there should be some seabirds there and the 'noise' is special.

coastjambo
Many years ago, this girl I was strolling out with took me to a very private and secluded beach somewhere in East Lothian. I have no idea where it was, maybe between Longniddry and Aberlady, that kind of area. We had to park the car and walk maybe half a mile to this beach which was quite inaccessible by car. It was beautiful and quite deserted, even though it was a lovely day.

my bet is that its yellow craigs. its the only one you have to park the car and walk that sort of distance. if you go past gullane until you go into direlton and its sign posted from there. Gullane is my favourite buts that's cause i lived there for 5 years.

Pete Seeger

Thanks for the help. He's going to try Seacliff. Great pics there East Fortune Jambo.

Nucky Thompson
I'm a regular down the East Coast, but have never been there! Directions please:)

Toxteth O'Grady
I'm a regular down the East Coast, but have never been there! Directions please:)

It's just past Tantallon Castle Boo - On the road that leaves North Berwick going past the rugby pitches and the Safeway (Probably Morissons now)

There is a bend in the road about half a mile past the Castle with a farm or some cottages on the left. Turn left there and go down the wee narrow road till you reach the beach.

Last time I was there there was a barrier that took 50p's or ?1 coins so make sure you have some handy.

Head out of North Berwick past the new Tesco. The road takes corners at right angles and I think it is either the one before or after the entrance to Tantallon visitor's centre. Both are straight ahead off the main road and look like farm tracks(and probably are). Been down both but hard to describe as it has been a number of years.

Chip Douglas

That sounds a bit like Aberlady Nature Reserve. I would be surprised if it was Yellowcraigs because that place is always heaving.

winston churchill
Coldingham Bay with the cliff top walk to St. Abbs is one of our favourites.

coldingham/eyemouth/berwick

my favourite part of the country.

winston churchill
thats what i was gonna say,i love going down to coldingham bay

does anybody ever stay in that hotel.

Ive never seen people anywhere near the hotel but twice ive tried to book and stay and can't get a room.

Same with the beach,the car park is always full but the beach just never seems busy and only twice in the 12 years we have been going down to coldinham has the beach cafe been open

flecktimus

Sounds more like Tyningham. Down the A1 Turn left just after East Linton. Drive about a mile and you will see a sign post for Tyningham. Follow the road until you reach a car park then a 5-10 min walk to the beach and what a beach, as posted above

Stuart Lyon

East Fortune Jambo - great pics of NB - must be some phone to take that quality of photo.

Pease Bay is good but the tide can be dangerous. Gullane and Yellowcraigs for me.

Take the road out of North Berwick past Tesco. When you get near Tantallon Castle, the road takes a 90 degree right at a group of 4 or 5 cottages. Go straight on. That's Seacliff.

Seacliff used to be owned - maybe still is - by the bloke who owned Farmer Jack 's down Annandale Street.

The Old Tolbooth

Coldingham and Eyemouth are very good, the beach at Coldingham is the mutts nuts, and then into the Bantry in Eyemouth for possibly the best fish supper I've ever tasted.

Hope you will all be wearing thermals today . Freezing..

Nucky Thompson

Cheers guys:) I'm a regular at East Fortune market so I'll have a wee drive down. I can't believe I've never came across it:rolleyes:

coldingham/eyemouth/berwick

my favourite part of the country.

Berwick's not in this country.

Archived