Malt Shovel - Rip-off pub

Stuart Lyon

Stuart Lyon

The wife and I went into the Malt Shovel in Cockburn street yesterday evening after having a meal in a nearby restaurant. I asked for a small glass of red wine and a double Jura malt. It turns out the double Jura (25ml) measure was ?9.00. Now I have looked on the web and ?40.00 seems to be the price of a bottle of the 16 year old they served me but I'm sure the licensed trade wil get it cheaper. Bearing in mind they will get almost 27/28 measures out of the bottle their return is at least ?126.00 per bottle! Now I know they have overheads etc but this is extortionate and it gets worse. Alongside the 16 year old Jura they had Jura Superstition which retails about ?26.00 but I am sure I have bought it cheaper and they were charging ?4.50 a nip for that too.

I can go into Thomson's in Morrison St and get double 35ml Malt of the Moment for ?3.40. They have had Jura Superstition in the past. Of course Thomson's isn't on the tourist trail.

Needless to say we left after one drink and found a more (not much mind you) reasonable bar. The licensed trade are always moaning about people getting cheap booze in supermarkets and drinking it in the house - no wonder at these prices. I'll bet that most of the bar staff were on minimum wage too. Rant over.

Oxford City

It is, of course, illegal for the prices in a pub not to be displayed in full view of the customers.

In which case, it's funny that you hardly ever see them.

Stuart Lyon

I know nobody forced me to buy it thank you for that brilliant observation.

The prices are on display but they are usually in an awkward place and I haven't seen anyone consult the list first and then go to the bar.

I've been thrown out their before.... up all night, went to the Scotsman till lunch time and for some reason they didnt like me being in there boozer. Poooofs!

Sheriff Fatman
The wife and I went into the Malt Shovel in Cockburn street yesterday evening after having a meal in a nearby restaurant. I asked for a small glass of red wine and a double Jura malt. It turns out the double Jura (25ml) measure was ?9.00. Now I have looked on the web and ?40.00 seems to be the price of a bottle of the 16 year old they served me but I'm sure the licensed trade wil get it cheaper. Bearing in mind they will get almost 27/28 measures out of the bottle their return is at least ?126.00 per bottle! Now I know they have overheads etc but this is extortionate and it gets worse. Alongside the 16 year old Jura they had Jura Superstition which retails about ?26.00 but I am sure I have bought it cheaper and they were charging ?4.50 a nip for that too.

I can go into Thomson's in Morrison St and get double 35ml Malt of the Moment for ?3.40. They have had Jura Superstition in the past. Of course Thomson's isn't on the tourist trail.

Needless to say we left after one drink and found a more (not much mind you) reasonable bar. The licensed trade are always moaning about people getting cheap booze in supermarkets and drinking it in the house - no wonder at these prices. I'll bet that most of the bar staff were on minimum wage too. Rant over.

That's nothing, I was in the Soho Hotel in London on monday. A small bottle of Peroni was ?4.50 and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc was ?9.00.

Sheriff Fatman
Thank goodness I didn't ask for a double Jura there then Sheriff.

It got worse. 6 bottles of Peroni, 2 burger and chips and 1 desert later a bill for ?73 arrived. Thank god my friend was paying.

Nice place , but I prefered the prices at the bar on the South Bank I found. ?3 for a pint of Deuchars IPA, that I can almost live with.

Suspect Device

was lucky enough to get a game of golf last week at Gleneagles :)

into the clubhouse after the round, 4 half bottles of Magners (with pint glasses and ice to make it look like a full drink ;)) -----> ?20.00

thats a tenner a pint :eek:

fortunately i got the golf free so can't grumble about it to much :)

Changes to legislation on 26/5/08 mean that it will no longer be obligatory for pubs to show prices in the bar. The Consumer Protection from Unfair Practices Regulations 2008 revoke(inter alia) the requirements to show prices within a pub. Big big changes and not all for the good of the consumer but a lot of them are.They come in on Monday with the introduction of these new Regs. Most responsible publicans will still want to show their prices however if they don't and decide to charge what they like,dependant on who they are serving, the new regs do have sanctions against such an unfair practice.

Changes to legislation on 26/5/08 mean that it will no longer be obligatory for pubs to show prices in the bar. The Consumer Protection from Unfair Practices Regulations 2008 revoke(inter alia) the requirements to show prices within a pub. Big big changes and not all for the good of the consumer but a lot of them are.They come in on Monday with the introduction of these new Regs. Most responsible publicans will still want to show their prices however if they don't and decide to charge what they like,dependant on who they are serving, the new regs do have sanctions against such an unfair practice.

Do you know if this apply to the whole of the UK given that the licensing regulations are different in different regions?

japanjambo

Holt moly! I don't think I could afford to move back to Scotland! :eek:

Lynn:wacko:

JennyJambo
Holt moly! I don't think I could afford to move back to Scotland! :eek:

Lynn:wacko:

You can if you drink in my pub Lynn! ;)

Stuart Lyon

I was in Swanny's Bar, Causewayide (one of my 2 locals) last night and they have Jura Superstition as their Malt of the Moment at ?1.88 for a 35ml measure. Hopefully you can understand my anger at the Malt Shovel's extortionate ?4.50 price. By my reckoning the Malt Shovel would charge ?6.30 for a 35ml measure. Rip-off merchants.

Lynn - you still off the sauce?

japanjambo
I was in Swanny's Bar, Causewayide (one of my 2 locals) last night and they have Jura Superstition as their Malt of the Moment at ?1.88 for a 35ml measure. Hopefully you can understand my anger at the Malt Shovel's extortionate ?4.50 price. By my reckoning the Malt Shovel would charge ?6.30 for a 35ml measure. Rip-off merchants.

Lynn - you still off the sauce?[/QUOTE]

Aye! Two weeks noo! :hae36:

Out of curiosity...how much does a pint of lager cost these days?

Lynn:ninja:

Bottle of Corona in the Voodoo Lounge, (new place that's next to the Cafe Royal).....

?3.80

I was in Swanny's Bar' date=' Causewayide (one of my 2 locals) last night and they have Jura Superstition as their Malt of the Moment at ?1.88 for a 35ml measure. Hopefully you can understand my anger at the Malt Shovel's extortionate ?4.50 price. By my reckoning the Malt Shovel would charge ?6.30 for a 35ml measure. Rip-off merchants.

[b']Lynn - you still off the sauce?[/[/b]QUOTE]

Aye! Two weeks noo! :hae36:

Out of curiosity...how much does a pint of lager cost these days?

Lynn:ninja:

Up town average ?3.20 a pint. In the sticks about ?2.70.

japanjambo

:eek:Holy moly!!

Nelly Terraces

Drink prices in Edinburgh pubs are a complete joke, even compared to London. I know plenty places in London you can get a pint well under 2.50, in fact was doiwn there last week and drank in a boozer in Paddington which was ?1.80 for apint of San Miguel!!

The Caley Samps really take the biccie though, it's soemthing like 2.65 for a pint of Deuchers in there, situated 30seconds drive from the brewery. I was in Carlisle not long back and it was 2.20. Go figure.

Having said that about London, I was at Wembley for the FA cup final and it was 3.60 a pint in the club deck, suppose Wembley's a bit different mind you.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
Drink prices in Edinburgh pubs are a complete joke, even compared to London. I know plenty places in London you can get a pint well under 2.50, in fact was doiwn there last week and drank in a boozer in Paddington which was ?1.80 for apint of San Miguel!!

The Caley Samps really take the biccie though, it's soemthing like 2.65 for a pint of Deuchers in there, situated 30seconds drive from the brewery. I was in Carlisle not long back and it was 2.20. Go figure.

Having said that about London, I was at Wembley for the FA cup final and it was 3.60 a pint in the club deck, suppose Wembley's a bit different mind you.

?3.60 for a pint and about a tenner for a hamburger roll and Wembley is still ?21 million in the red. :eek:

Worst I've seen was a few months ago. Think it's the Kings hotel in George Street?

?7 for a vodka and coke!

Do you know if this apply to the whole of the UK given that the licensing regulations are different in different regions?

UK wide

I was drinking in the royal lancaster hotel last year and it was ?8.20 for a 25ml measure of mcallan 10yo:mad::mad::mad:

?3.60 for a pint and about a tenner for a hamburger roll and Wembley is still ?21 million in the red. :eek:

Worst I've seen was a few months ago. Think it's the Kings hotel in George Street?

?7 for a vodka and coke!

I sometime have to go down to London and the hotel I stay in (Ibis) it's ?8 for a vodka and coke.

:eek:

Stuart Lyon

Seems screwing the customer is widespread in Edinburgh.

Lynn - well done - see if you can beat my record for staying off the drink - 5 years! Mind you I think I have made-up for that relapse.

japanjambo
Seems screwing the customer is widespread in Edinburgh.

Lynn - well done - see if you can beat my record for staying off the drink - 5 years! Mind you I think I have made-up for that relapse.

Yikes! 5 years!:eek: I can categorically state I wouldn't last 5 years! I actually didn't drink for about a year and a half when I fell pregnant with my first born. I was even drinking decaf coffee! :eek:

Doctor FinnBarr

?2.20 in Blackburn.

:confused:

You can get a pint for much cheaper than ?2.70, you just have to know where to look. In saying that, it was about ?3 a pint in the two pubs I tended to drink in down at the shore.

?1.67 for a pint at the usual haunt in Leeds. Generally about ?2.50 elsewhere.

Going for a meal tonight in coburg street.

Was going to have a wee drink in the Malt first.

Think I will give it a miss,Scotsman it is then.

Stuart Lyon

Rents its a pity about their prices (for malts anyway) as it has a bit of character about it. The bogs are awful.

We ended-up in the Filling Station which was OK. 25ml of malt about ?2.50.

JennyJambo
You have a pub? :hypno::mj_zivili:

Indeed I do and on the bestest street in Edinburgh as well!

Though I don't open for another 3 weeks or so!

For the record though my prices are much more "sticks" than "up toon"..?3 a pint??? Not in my pub!!;)

I'm still recovering from paying ?25 in Westfield's for 2 Smirnoff Ice, a pint of lager, a straight whisky and 3 cans of coke at the Barca game last year!

Going for a meal tonight in coburg street.

Was going to have a wee drink in the Malt first.

Think I will give it a miss,Scotsman it is then.

Best avoid the Malt Shovel then, unless your going to the Shovel On The Shore.

For the record though my prices are much more "sticks" than "up toon"..?3 a pint??? Not in my pub!!;)

Yay!! Pint of 16 year old Jura, please...:P;)

was at my cousins wedding at the caley hotel and went well equipped for an expensive night. arrived at the hotel after the wedding to a champagne reception which did not seem to run out they just kept on opening more bottles. wine on the table for meals and again it was replaced on being finished. my wife and i were situated at a table with other relatives and there partners, ten of us in total. i knew they were not really wine drinkers but it was free. i thought i would do the honourable thing and ask them if they would like a drink from the bar, reply that would be lovely.

6 vodka and diet cokes, 3 pints of lager, vodka lemonade and lime

cost- ?55.25

that is utterly disgusting i worked out it was ?4.00 for a shot of vodka and then ?2.25 for a small bottle of diet coke (no draught option). ?4.00 a pint.

now i do not normally moan about drink prices at weddings you know it will cost you and you prepare for it, my gripe was that not one of the four other couples made any attempt to buy a drink for the rest of the day. there was also wine on the tables at night and i hate to think what the cost did to my poor uncles bank balance.

I'm still recovering from paying ?25 in Westfield's for 2 Smirnoff Ice, a pint of lager, a straight whisky and 3 cans of coke at the Barca game last year!

you were definately done there

The Malt Shovel , one of 3 pubs my immediate exit has been requested, am sure their trying to emulate that other presumptious pit the Canny Man,s.:mad:

Benny Factor

That round should have set you back around ?12-14.

was at my cousins wedding at the caley hotel and went well equipped for an expensive night. arrived at the hotel after the wedding to a champagne reception which did not seem to run out they just kept on opening more bottles. wine on the table for meals and again it was replaced on being finished. my wife and i were situated at a table with other relatives and there partners, ten of us in total. i knew they were not really wine drinkers but it was free. i thought i would do the honourable thing and ask them if they would like a drink from the bar, reply that would be lovely.

6 vodka and diet cokes, 3 pints of lager, vodka lemonade and lime

cost- ?55.25

that is utterly disgusting i worked out it was ?4.00 for a shot of vodka and then ?2.25 for a small bottle of diet coke (no draught option). ?4.00 a pint.

now i do not normally moan about drink prices at weddings you know it will cost you and you prepare for it, my gripe was that not one of the four other couples made any attempt to buy a drink for the rest of the day. there was also wine on the tables at night and i hate to think what the cost did to my poor uncles bank balance.

You should,ve kept stum.

The Malt Shovel , one of 3 pubs my immediate exit has been requested, am sure their trying to emulate that other presumptious pit the Canny Man,s.:mad:

If you go into the Canny Mans and they dont know you,the barstaff think

you have just escaped from the Royal Ed,happened to me a few year ago.

I,m sure the EEN run a story about them once,as to why they were

discrimenating against potential customers and they couldn,t explain.

Snobby cretins in there anyway,best to just avoid it an go elsewhere

in the Morningside area,plenty pubs.

Miller Jambo 60
was lucky enough to get a game of golf last week at Gleneagles :)

into the clubhouse after the round, 4 half bottles of Magners (with pint glasses and ice to make it look like a full drink ;)) -----> ?20.00

thats a tenner a pint :eek:

fortunately i got the golf free so can't grumble about it to much :)

Did you get to keep the pint glasses:):)

Stuart Lyon

The Canny Mans is run by tosspots. Went in and was told they only serve regulars. I said how do I become a regular if you wont serve me? They served me and I walked out after one pint never to return. That was about 20+ years ago. Bennett's down the road a bit is better.

Yep, I too had the dubious pleasure along with a friend of being requested to vacate said premises, it was the day Brazil had knocked England out of the 2002 World Cup at around 9.00pm, we had watched the game in the Tynie Arms, kick off having been 8.00am IIRC, it was an eventful day.

Archived