Weekend Break - Europe suggestions

Shanks

I'm looking to take the Mrs away for a weekend in March, anyone got any good recommendations for places to go?

Been to Paris, copenhagen and Amsterdam so looking to try somewhere new.

Cheers and Merry Christmas all!

Dusseldorf is superb, Cologne is good as well. You can do both in the same trip as there easy to get from one to another by train

We go to a different European city every year.

Of all the Polish cities we've been to Poznan is the best.

I wouldn't advise Lithuania. A lack of pubs and quite boring.

Budapest is superb but the best city I've been to is Berlin.

Never went to a game but Berlin was a great city and good transport links to both Hertha and Union

Curiously few locals were keen to show how to get to union.

Would recommend Poland all day long, some newer than other stadiums but great scenery cheap food and drink and atmosphere in stadiums is jaw dropping.

I was in gdansk in March and there was nine thousand people in a 44000 capacity and noise was deafening

Enjoy wherever u go

Samuel Camazzola

Check out Norwegian.com for the Norwegian Air flights from Edinburgh to various Scandanavian destinations. Plenty return fares for under ?100.

boabyarsebiscuit

Berlin is amazing, stayed in the Mitte neighbourhood when we played 1 Union Berlin in a friendly a couple of years back. Union play out of town in a suburb called Koepenick.

Geneva is really nice but it's expensive. EasyJet do direct flights from Edinburgh usually.

Verona in Northern Italy is also good - you'd need to fly to Venice (yuck, tourist trap) and then take a train, 1 hour from Venice. I did a Venice-Verona-Milan 3 centre, and Verona was definitely the nicest of the 3.

But my recommendation for March would be Lisbon, again EasyJet do flights from Edinburgh.

We went to Berlin last year at New Year - why I didn't go there before is beyond me, it's a brilliant place.

Lisbon is also a good shout, as is Stockholm.  We also enjoyed Budapest when we there there about 5 years ago for a winter short break.

Venice got mentioned as a tourist trap.  It undoubtedly is, but we visited Venice and rented an apartment there in October 2012, and had a great time.

For couples I'd also recommend Vienna.  It's almost 10 years since we were there, and we'd really like to go back.  MInd you, we were there in the depths of winter, in three feet of snow, which definitely adds something.   While on the subject of Austria, I've never been to Salzburg, but 3 or 4 of my mates really recommend it.

Anyway, here's a photo from almost 10 years ago of part of the Sch?nbrunn Palace in Vienna in snow.

post-229-0-65268500-1419723912_thumb.jpg

I've always found spring is a good time to visit the places that are horribly busy in the summer and autumn. Florence is always a good shout but I wouldn't dream of going in peak season.

Venice got mentioned as a tourist trap.  It undoubtedly is, but we visited Venice and rented an apartment there in October 2012, and had a great time.

We did exactly the same in October 2012. Took an apartment up in Cannaregio just by Sant' Alvise. Quiet as anything. Venice is a surprisingly easy place in which to lose the crowds completely. I've been about ten times now and could never tire of it.

Took an apartment up in Cannaregio just by Sant' Alvise. Quiet as anything. Venice is a surprisingly easy place in which to lose the crowds completely. I've been about ten times now and could never tire of it.

Agree 100%.  We stayed in Cannaregio as well, in a wee apartment that can't have been very far away; somewhere between Rio di San Girolamo and Rio della Sensa.  We also ate in the magnificently named Gam Gam kosher restaurant.  If you haven't tried it before, give it a go the next time you're there.

I know it's on everyone's list as a clich?d tourist trap, but it is well worth seeing.

post-229-0-50438300-1419733340_thumb.jpg

post-229-0-29248800-1419733445_thumb.jpg

Prague is great.

I would avoid Riga, very small and not a lot to do.

Munich is amazing.

If you've not been to Dublin that's also great.

Agree 100%.  We stayed in Cannaregio as well, in a wee apartment that can't have been very far away; somewhere between Rio di San Girolamo and Rio della Sensa.  We also ate in the magnificently named Gam Gam kosher restaurant.  If you haven't tried it before, give it a go the next time you're there.

I know it's on everyone's list as a clich?d tourist trap, but it is well worth seeing.

attachicon.gifDSC_0357.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0635.JPG

We stared in the window of Gam Gam every day that week and said we would eat there one evening, but we never got around to it. We tended to go to Majer - on the main drag through the ghetto - for coffee most days when walking down towards the Grand Canal. Went back again this summer. The ghetto became one of our favourite parts of Venice.

Incidentally the church on the left of your first photo - San Geremia - has a facade which was badly damaged by an arsonist in 1998. You can see the damage here.

http://www.churchesofvenice.co.uk/cannaregio.htm#sanger

Me and the Mrs favourite is Madrid, it's a great place loads to do with a real buzz about it. Liked Munich on a lads weekend, would be tempted to go back with the Mrs.

Copenhagen's great and I love anywhere in Sweden had great times in Malmo and Gothenburg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Istanbul is amazing for a few days. Different sight, sound and smell around every corner. So many different cultures coming together make it a very interesting place.

Direct flights from Edinburgh as well.

The missus and I went to Palma in Majorca last Easter and found it very cool. Easyjet, Ryanair and Jet2 all fly there from Glasgow. Good mix of restaurants, bars, culture, beach and weather (and high end shops if that's your or the wife's thing). We rented a rooftop apartment in the city centre at a good price and everywhere is walkable. Imagine it gets a bit more mental in high summer but had a lovely vibe while we were there.

Geneva is really nice but it's expensive. EasyJet do direct flights from Edinburgh usually.

But my recommendation for March would be Lisbon, again EasyJet do flights from Edinburgh.

Geneva is dangerously expensive, restrictively so IMO.

Lisbon is awesome. Like a less busy and hectic Barcelona. I would recommend as part of a bigger trip to Portugal than just a city break however.

I've always found spring is a good time to visit the places that are horribly busy in the summer and autumn. Florence is always a good shout but I wouldn't dream of going in peak season.

We normally go in March and in some cities it can still be really cold.

blondejamtart

Istanbul is amazing for a few days. Different sight, sound and smell around every corner. So many different cultures coming together make it a very interesting place.

Direct flights from Edinburgh as well.

Absolutely amazing city - and the only one which is in both Europe and Asia! So much to see and do - I can't wait to go back and explore more of it. 

Absolutely amazing city - and the only one which is in both Europe and Asia! So much to see and do - I can't wait to go back and explore more of it.

We were there in October and we are planning to go back next year. Best City we have visited.

This thread is brilliant. My other half and I are planning to do the very same thing in March.

So far we have Dubrovnik, Budapest and Bilbao on the list but open to others. Don't want to end up somewhere expensive either, so Scandinavia and the like are probably out, plus we've both visited that area a few times in past.

Dubrovnik was probably my favourite idea until I read all this great stuff about Budapest.

This thread is brilliant. My other half and I are planning to do the very same thing in March.

So far we have Dubrovnik, Budapest and Bilbao on the list but open to others. Don't want to end up somewhere expensive either, so Scandinavia and the like are probably out, plus we've both visited that area a few times in past.

Dubrovnik was probably my favourite idea until I read all this great stuff about Budapest.

If I was to pick my favourite place on earth that didn't include Scotland I'd pick Budapest. I went over twice this year and I'm considering flying out there for new year if nothing else comes up. Brilliant city. 

Don't think anyone has mentioned Krakow so far. Fantastic city and a visit to Auschwitz and the salt mines are unmissable.

Word of warning it can be very cold in March.

I used to always do a city break in March but after dragging the Mrs around Krakow in -5 weather and the year before a wet Berlin and the year before a wet Prague (you can see where this is going) the only holiday I can now book in March is 'somewhere hot'

Heard good things about Hamburg and the Haague (been to the latter and it was really nice) from mates who lived there. Also heard good about Copenhagen and Oslo but both are very expensive I believe.

Don't think anyone has mentioned Krakow so far. Fantastic city and a visit to Auschwitz and the salt mines are unmissable.

Word of warning it can be very cold in March.

I used to always do a city break in March but after dragging the Mrs around Krakow in -5 weather and the year before a wet Berlin and the year before a wet Prague (you can see where this is going) the only holiday I can now book in March is 'somewhere hot'

Krakow is a nice city but too many stag and hen parties go there. Poznan is a better city to visit.

Auschwitz is a must but I thought the salt mines were poor. Just wasn't my thing.

Most of the places I would recommend have been mentioned already (Berlin, Budapest, Cologne, Barcelona, Vienna...), so as an alternative I would highly recommend Freiburg.

Beautiful little city in the south west of Germany, visited it a couple of times in the last few years and would gladly go back. It's quite a small place, but you are surrounded by the black forrest, so there is plenty to explore. Also, plenty of great drinking holes, along with probably my favourite beer garden I've ever been to on the top of a hill overlooking a vineyard.

Krakow is a nice city but too many stag and hen parties go there. Poznan is a better city to visit.

Auschwitz is a must but I thought the salt mines were poor. Just wasn't my thing.

Salt mines are poor.

Dubrovnik is my favourite place mentioned that I have been to so far. We were there for a friends wedding in the summer. We were there for just under a week and that would maybe have been too long if we didn't have the wedding. We stayed in apartments called Villa Gloria, just outside the walls. As like most cities around the tourist areas it is a bit pricier round the main squares than away from them.

Budapest is amazing, so many great tips above, its a really hard questions where to go.

In no order 

Budapest

Prague - don't be put off with the strippers nonsense, cracking city

Vienna

Munich

Madrid

Lisbon

Istanbul all above so much history, so much to see and so different from each other

Hamburg

ljubljana - beautiful wee town in sloviana 

Berlin 

Berlin is amazing, stayed in the Mitte neighbourhood when we played 1 Union Berlin in a friendly a couple of years back. Union play out of town in a suburb called Koepenick.

Verona in Northern Italy is also good - you'd need to fly to Venice (yuck, tourist trap) and then take a train, 1 hour from Venice. I did a Venice-Verona-Milan 3 centre, and Verona was definitely the nicest of the 3.

2nd for Lisbon, we were there for about 8 hours back in September and decided that we would definitely return for a long weekend to do more exploring of the city, only slight downside was the number of folk trying to sell you drugs! 

Been to Milan,Florence,Genoa,Cologne and Rome this year.Genoa my favourite,Milan for price wise on flights from Edinburgh.

Looks like Lisbon is my next break.

I haven't seen Bratislava or Nuremburg mentioned yet, I'd recommend both of them as well. There's not a great deal to do in Bratislava but it is beautiful and you could combine it with Vienna, which is only an hour away and is also great.

I haven't seen Bratislava or Nuremburg mentioned yet, I'd recommend both of them as well. There's not a great deal to do in Bratislava but it is beautiful and you could combine it with Vienna, which is only an hour away and is also great.

You could combine Vienna, Bratislava & Budapest very easily with a boat or train ride thru the Danube

You could combine Vienna, Bratislava & Budapest very easily with a boat or train ride thru the Danube

Done that trip earlier this year, albeit in a car rather than boat. Loved Vienna and Budapest, found Bratislava a bit boring, but nice enough place.

Just booked up for a 3 night stay in Istanbul Jan 30th. Direct flight from Edinburgh and staying at a 4 star hotel, with brekkie. ?230 each

Reykjavik for a long weekend is probably my favourite ever holiday

How expensive was it in terms of drinking & eating, really fancy it and mates came back from a diving holiday raving about it.

How expensive was it in terms of drinking & eating, really fancy it and mates came back from a diving holiday raving about it.

I never really drank so can't comment on that but food wasn't that much more expensive than a decent place in Edinburgh. Me and my girfriend had a few trips booked so we were out most of the day and shattered at night hence the little drinking. There was a decent thread on here a while ago that gave a few good types on what do to and where to eat and drink

I definitely agree with the nominations so far for Vienna, Bilbao, Bordeaux, and Freiburg. Salzburg (also mentioned) is very beautiful, but really quite "touristy" - Graz could be a good alternative. Stuttgart could be combined with Freiburg quite easily, and is also an interesting and friendly city. Also in Germany, Luebeck is very nice and very historical - I'd recommend it over Hamburg, depending on what you're after  :whistling:  - and I've had very good reports about Dresden (it'd probably be an advantage if your name isn't Arthur Harris, however...). Personally, I'd go for Ghent over Brugge / Bruges as it's equally historical and interesting, but with far fewer visitors. As mentioned, Lisbon is a good and inexpensive city to visit, but be prepared for some pretty run-down areas with obvious poverty... In Spain, I'd probably recommend Sevilla most highly, but there are plenty of other cities which are well-worth visiting too: Valencia, San Sebasti?n, Cordoba, Granada, & Segovia, as well as Bilbao and Madrid. Other places in France I've enjoyed and would recommend are: Carcassone (pretty "touristy" though), Arles, Avignon, and St. Malo.

I definitely agree with the nominations so far for Vienna, Bilbao, Bordeaux, and Freiburg. Salzburg (also mentioned) is very beautiful, but really quite "touristy" - Graz could be a good alternative. Stuttgart could be combined with Freiburg quite easily, and is also an interesting and friendly city. Also in Germany, Luebeck is very nice and very historical - I'd recommend it over Hamburg, depending on what you're after  :whistling:  - and I've had very good reports about Dresden (it'd probably be an advantage if your name isn't Arthur Harris, however...). Personally, I'd go for Ghent over Brugge / Bruges as it's equally historical and interesting, but with far fewer visitors. As mentioned, Lisbon is a good and inexpensive city to visit, but be prepared for some pretty run-down areas with obvious poverty... In Spain, I'd probably recommend Sevilla most highly, but there are plenty of other cities which are well-worth visiting too: Valencia, San Sebasti?n, Cordoba, Granada, & Segovia, as well as Bilbao and Madrid. Other places in France I've enjoyed and would recommend are: Carcassone (pretty "touristy" though), Arles, Avignon, and St. Malo.

Nice recommendations. I particularly agree with the preference for Graz over Salzburg - it's an outstandingly beautiful city but relatively unknown. The only problem is, I think you'd have to fly somewhere and then get the train or hire a car, which isn't ideal for a weekend break. Arles and Avignon are both great places too.

Archived