Life in the Mariana Trench - the deepest part of the world's oceans.

jambo_

A compilation of video footage captured from the University of Aberdeen?s Hadal-Lander in the Mariana Trench from 5000m to 10,545 m deep. The large fish inhabit the shallower depth (5000 to 6500m) are rat-tails, cusk eels and eel pouts. At the mid depths (6500 to 8000m) are the supergiant amphipods and the small pink snailfish. The fragile snailfish at 8145m is now the deepest living fish. At depth greater than 8500m, only large swarms of small scavenging amphipods are visible. The footage was taken during the HADES-M cruise on Schmidt Ocean Institute?s Research Vessel ?Falkor?.

Copyright SOI/HADES/University of Aberdeen (Dr. Alan Jamieson)

0:02 - Scavenging rat-tail eats bait at 5040m deep
0:15 - Large cusk eels at 4998m
0:23 - Large Decapod shrimps at 6010m
0:27 - Large cusk eel, called Bassozetus feeds at bait at 5040m
0:35 - A rat-tail, a cusk eel and an eel pout at 5040m
0:40 - A large cusk eel called Barathrites feeding at bait at 5040m
0:48 - A large supergiant amphipod approaching bait and starting to feed at 6141m
1:05 - Two large supergiant amphipod, one of which is being attached by cusk eels at 6141m
1:22 - Rat-tails, decapods, supergiants and snailfish at 7012m
1:31 - New species of snailfish at 7485m
1:40 - New deepest fish record of fragile snailfish at 8145m, with swarms of normal amphipods
1:58 - Swarms of amphipods in the second deepest place on Earth, The Sirena Deep at 10,545m deep

jambos are go!

Makes you wonder about life on planets like Mars when life forms can subsist despite the enormous pressure they are subjected to at such depths. Life will find a way just as they say.

The Future's Maroon

Very interesting stuff and as said, life will find a way to survive almost anywhere...life adapts to its surroundings.

Are they sure this is the deepest area in the world though, I am sure I seen a programme a few months ago saying there is loads of areas that have still to be discovered?

Makes you wonder about life on planets like Mars when life forms can subsist despite the enormous pressure they are subjected to at such depths. Life will find a way just as they say.

The pressure isn't a particularly big deal as their bodies contain a lot of water.

If you put a football full of air into the water at that depth it would implode.  If you did the same thing with a football full of water the impact of the pressure would be minimal.

Basic explanation here:

http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/facts/animal-pressure.html

Very interesting stuff and as said, life will find a way to survive almost anywhere...life adapts to its surroundings.

Are they sure this is the deepest area in the world though, I am sure I seen a programme a few months ago saying there is loads of areas that have still to be discovered?

I guess until they discover somewhere deeper this is the deepest. The earths plates are also moving all the time so i guess something deeper could be created at anytime...

I saw this video last night: absolutely fascinating. The bottom of the ocean is weird and cool as ****, IMO. 

I watched a Vsauce video on Youtube called 'What would happen if the Sun disappeared?'. Turns out extremophiles living near hydrothermal vents, in another words things that live outside the sun's influence, could survive for a very, very long time (IIRC a few billion years, until the Earth's core cooled sufficiently to stop heating the deep ocean). Even if the top layer of salt water were to freeze over. 

It's mental to think of the alien life living on our planet, completely unaware and unaffected by our, and our Sun's, presence. 

not even 20% of the earth's oceans have been explored yet. However weve sent a man to the moon and have people reside in space.

Archived