Average UK fuel prices

EuanD

_44681621_petrol_price_466.gif

Anyone else find this a joke, the last 6 months has seen us totaly shafted!!

As I work in Wishaw and live in Edinburgh Im getting to the point where im thinking about looking for a new job, It's costing me about ?200 per month just to get to and from work

Rawrrrrrrr

I noticed yesterday that the fuel had jumped again from 110.9 to 113.9 for Unleaded

Before the strike 2 weeks ago it was at 103.9 and it would appear the shrewd operators have deliberatly abused this

I have to admit its getting to the stage were Im going to cut back on driving as its just too expensive for fuel now

Stewart MacD

Sod all to do with the Uk or other national governments. Some populist *****s here in the opposition saying cut 5c from the excise per litre. As if that would make a difference. (apart from being antisocial and encouraging petrol use).

vegas-voss

But as a country on a whole we just except being fleeced.Can you imagine the French or the yanks taking this ****.**** sake the French would be striking at just the thought of the **** we take.

Pete Seeger

It's getting beyond a joke now. I can just afford to run the van. Anymore increases and a lot of people are going to be in a lot of trouble. We're getting shafted left right and centre just now. I don't know if it's the fuel companies or the government but someone has to do something. It's putting people out the game.

Rawrrrrrrr
It's getting beyond a joke now. I can just afford to run the van. Anymore increases and a lot of people are going to be in a lot of trouble. We're getting shafted left right and centre just now. I don't know if it's the fuel companies or the government but someone has to do something. It's putting people out the game.

Tbh I think its the retailers this time, they used the strike and added demand to add about 5p a litre and didnt take it off

Craig Gordons Gloves
But as a country on a whole we just except being fleeced.Can you imagine the French or the yanks taking this ****.**** sake the French would be striking at just the thought of the **** we take.

unfortunately the Yanks are just taking it. It is getting close to $4 a gallon in some states, we're averaging 3.75 a gallon here, thats up nearly 40% in a year. And the past few months have seen it go from $3 to where it is now. Not only having an impact on driving prices, but American Airlines are now charging for checking bags to deal with high fuel prices - at least, thats their excuse for fleecing people.

Ray Winstone

I was hearing that the price rise is a lot down to the oil buisnesses speculating what the price rises will be and just shoving them up anyway.

Its a joke - as a poor student I cant afford to keep filling my car up.

It now costs 60quid to fill my tank which is an absolute joke for the car I have.

Out of date but you get the idea..

fuelgraph.jpg

Yes, the %age of the cost that is tax has dropped!

I always find it amusing when the oil companies record billions of profit yet the cost of a barrel still goes up, up, up....

Has to be Brown's fault.....:rolleyes:

It's similar to the banks crying over the credit crunch yet still recording billions of profits. Once again it's the man on the street that ends up paying. Of course Tory Leader David "Dave" Cameron is going to sort all of that out, right?

Are the lorry driver's getting some sort of deal at the moment?

IIRC they caused havoc the last time fuel threatened to get too expensive.

Where are they now???

CompleteIdiot
Yes, the %age of the cost that is tax has dropped!

I always find it amusing when the oil companies record billions of profit yet the cost of a barrel still goes up, up, up....

Has to be Brown's fault.....:rolleyes:

It's similar to the banks crying over the credit crunch yet still recording billions of profits. Once again it's the man on the street that ends up paying. Of course Tory Leader David "Dave" Cameron is going to sort all of that out, right?

You forget all the additional taxes and regulation that Brown and Darling are adding into the mix such as huge rises in Vehicle Excise Duty, private parking fines, congestion charges, ubiquitous speed cameras, toll roads, ridiculous edicts on commercial operators of buses and trucks from the EU, foreign truck road tax etc.

These are all post-1997 changes.

You forget all the additional taxes and regulation that Brown and Darling are adding into the mix such as huge rises in Vehicle Excise Duty, private parking fines, congestion charges, ubiquitous speed cameras, toll roads, ridiculous edicts on commercial operators of buses and trucks from the EU, foreign truck road tax etc.

These are post-1997 phenomena.

I don't know about all of these things you mention but for the ones highlighted then quite simply don't break the law!

You will note i deliberately left out "private" as I am not sure how legal they are.

I also back congestion charges...

CompleteIdiot
I don't know about all of these things you mention but for the ones highlighted then quite simply don't break the law!

You will note i deliberately left out "private" as I am not sure how legal they are.

I also back congestion charges...

Labour decriminalised parking fines so councils and private companies could make giant profits from motorists. The fines are private as they are given out by private companies like NCP.

Labour decriminalised parking fines so councils and private companies could make giant profits from motorists. The fines are private as they are given out by private companies like NCP.

Bit on the news this morning saying that outwith the major metropolitan areas of England, councils were not entitled to appoint new traffic wardens and as such any tickets given out should be void. At least I think that's what it said!

Can't disagree that it is a shambles though.

Like so many things in this country the politicians (from every party) have felt the need to introduce legislation when none was needed. Exisiting laws either needed tweaked or were competent in the first place. However if a Govt brings forward legislation it is seen to be "doing something".

It's all bollocks. Same can be said of the tax system too. Get rid of stealth taxes and do what you have to to Income Tax so we all know exactly where we stand.

CompleteIdiot
Bit on the news this morning saying that outwith the major metropolitan areas of England, councils were not entitled to appoint new traffic wardens and as such any tickets given out should be void. At least I think that's what it said!

Can't disagree that it is a shambles though.

Like so many things in this country the politicians (from every party) have felt the need to introduce legislation when none was needed. Exisiting laws either needed tweaked or were competent in the first place. However if a Govt brings forward legislation it is seen to be "doing something".

It's all bollocks. Same can be said of the tax system too. Get rid of stealth taxes and do what you have to to Income Tax so we all know exactly where we stand.

What about the super rich that pay very little income tax under Labour?

What about the super rich that pay very little income tax under Labour?

You keep forgetting to add "New" in front of "Labour". ;)

I would squeeze them until their pips squeek (the super rich). New Labour would be sent to the Gulags...

coppercrutch

I actually saw a graph in the Metro today that surprised me. A cost of 1 litre of petrol here is definately exepensive. But there are many other countries in a similar situation.

Not everywhere is Venezuala afterall... :)

Oil production and demand are right on top of each other right now. So the only way to get the barrell price down is either...

The Saudis start pumping more as they are the only people that could pump more.

We stop fighting in Iraqi and built some pumps as production there is down since the war started.

We find a nice big patch of light crude somewhere. Canadian sand and heavy crude aint so good for making petrol and light crude is getting pretty rare these days.

Anyway there needs to be more production to get the price down. Long term it looks like a real sad state of affairs. Refineries and derricks take years to build and should have been built by now to ease the current situation. But they are not so :( Also China and India are starting to take off and needing more and more oil that just cant be supplied. The more these two need the worse the supply and demand will get. Which means the price of oil is not going to stop going up and up until major increase in production happens.

The counter intuative arguments suggests that prices have to go up to bring global demand down. If every country double the price of petrol then most people would stop driving and start to save energy reducing demand and hopefully bringing the price of a barrel down to something sensible. As the production/needs would then be on the happy side of over producing and selling the barrells cheaper. The only problem with this is China and India subsidise there peoples petrol and they are getting it on the cheap at the moment. And anything the west cuts down on will be gobbelled up like the last big mac in the world sitting unattended at a scottish slimmers meet by India and/or China.

Archived