Last throw of the dice?

IronJambo

with the apparently imminent appointment of Mark McGhee is this romanov's last turn at spinning out another year of good season ticket sales before letting the fans down yet again?

i'm honestly not trying to put a negative spin on what would be the biggest step forward for the club since burley walked out the door but i can't help being so cynical.

will/would this appointment make you run out and renew? if so, why? we still don't know if romanov's going to behave

if he grants the "no interference" clause in the contract - then it's safe to say he's understood part of where he has gone wrong.

that's not to say that he will not control transfers. vlad has brought in some interesting characters...

Jam Tarts 1874
with the apparently imminent appointment of Mark McGhee is this romanov's last turn at spinning out another year of good season ticket sales before letting the fans down yet again?

i'm honestly not trying to put a negative spin on what would be the biggest step forward for the club since burley walked out the door but i can't help being so cynical.

will/would this appointment make you run out and renew? if so, why? we still don't know if romanov's going to behave

There is no evidence at all that it is Hearts who have been spinning out this story, on the contrary it seems that Hearts are trying to do everything by the book, so don't see how it is linked to seasont ticket sales.

If Frail was going to be manager, I would not have renewed, not as a protest against Romanov (the season ticket money goes to HMFC and not straight into Romanov's pocket as some idiots keep saying) but because there was no way I was going to commit myself to watching 19 dire, negative games managed by Frail.

There is no evidence at all that it is Hearts who have been spinning out this story,

i meant if mcghee does get the job. i don't think i'm convinced he'll not walk out due to interference or be sacked for an unknown reason.

Sorry, you have. Can we not just wait until he gets in the door first?!

PresidentRomanov

Yes, he's going to pay Mark McGhee ?8000 a week, just so he can sell another couple of thousand season tickets :conf11:

Sorry, you have. Can we not just wait until he get in the door first?!

Well said.

He's going to pay Mark ?32,000.00 a month just to sell a couple of thousand season tickets. :wacko:

Course he is.

forgive me for not jumping for joy just yet.

paying him decent money doesn't say much.

Ibby Tall was on ?10k a week and done zero for 8 months. many more could be mentioned

Sorry for being optomistic and it should be once bitten twice shy, but vr seems damned if he does, damned if he doesnt on this appointment.

If he appoints McGhee, lets get behind them and be the 12th man we were under Burley.

Would you rather he appointed that Icelandic dude to avoid season ticket sales just incase we're crap again and he lets us doon?????????

The People's Chimp

If Mcghee is appointed then vlad would be utterly insance and the entire project would be at an end, if he then went on to sack mcghee.

Mind you, if vlad's niece is away from tynie we might not have that problem ;)

all i'm pointing out is that i'll be judging romanov on his actions one at a time. i doubt very many hearts fans trust him anymore and one managerial appointment surely can't turn that around. are we really that fickle?

im not saying we should trust him, im just saying we should get behind the team if he makes what the majority of us will see as the right appointment.

Boab Mugabe

Been here far too many times before to start even thinking about this as gospel.

Forever Maroon

already renewed, next thread.....

Craigieboy

This is his last chance.

2 scenarios;

1st is that he lets MM ship out all the ***** that we have & buy in a few decent players (doesn't have to be expensive ones). He lets him ghet on with the job, doesn't interfere in team selection. We get a couple of good seasons out of him & he moves on to Celtic or a 'big' club down in England.

2nd scenario is that he appoints him, the fans have their expectations raised again. VR interferes, MM walks (like GB), back to square 1.

The 2nd scenario is the end of the line for the Hearts fans & potentially the club itself. You would see massive demonstrations form the Hearts fans IMO.

Lets just wait & see & hope. At least we seem to be heading in a better direction. Enjoy it.

But, appointing MM has nothing to do with slow ST sales.

This is his last chance.

2 scenarios;

1st is that he lets MM ship out all the ***** that we have & buy in a few decent players (doesn't have to be expensive ones). He lets him ghet on with the job, doesn't interfere in team selection. We get a couple of good seasons out of him & he moves on to Celtic or a 'big' club down in England.

2nd scenario is that he appoints him, the fans have their expectations raised again. VR interferes, MM walks (like GB), back to square 1.

The 2nd scenario is the end of the line for the Hearts fans & potentially the club itself. You would see massive demonstrations form the Hearts fans IMO.

Lets just wait & see & hope. At least we seem to be heading in a better direction. Enjoy it.

But, appointing MM has nothing to do with slow ST sales.

Good post, Stairboy. That's the way I see it too, although I think scenario 2 is the more likely, unfortunately.

Maybe I just automatically treat everything that comes out of the club these days with apathy and pessmism, but who could blame me and others?

This is certainly Vlad's last chance in terms of fans putting up with him, IMO.

Craigieboy
Good post, Stairboy. That's the way I see it too, although I think scenario 2 is the more likely, unfortunately.

Maybe I just automatically treat everything that comes out of the club these days with apathy and pessmism, but who could blame me and others?

This is certainly Vlad's last chance in terms of fans putting up with him, IMO.

Possibly mate. Thats what naturally happens when you have been through what we have with the Romanovs.

I always like to think that guys like Compbell Ogilvie etc who are totally professional in their approach to running a football club have had a massive influence over VR in recent months.

Who knows. I really hope this puts us back on track.

The thought of having not wasted my ST money is appealing though.

:)

Pants Shaton

If McGhee is appointed there will continue to be a major source of friction between manager and owner. Namely, that part of Romanov's business plan has been to showcase players in the SPL with the intention of turning a profit on their resale. Not inconsiderable sums have been spent on the likes of Pinilla and Kinsgton. Should a manager chose to drop these players (for disciplinary breaches, bad attitude, laziness etc.) Romanov would not be happy. Similarly, Romanov is keen to resort to dropping players who are unwilling to sign new contracts. The financial pressure to select some players and drop others may be, in Romanov's mind, irresistible.

If that remains the case the authority and autonomy of the manager are compromised and it would be difficult to achieve respect or build spirit within the squad. We've witnessed the consequences of ball-less managers with no real accountability.

Appointing McGhee will be a massive step in the right direction but it will take a lot more than that to reverse the rot.

Tokyo Drifter
If McGhee is appointed there will continue to be a major source of friction between manager and owner. Namely, that part of Romanov's business plan has been to showcase players in the SPL with the intention of turning a profit on their resale. Not inconsiderable sums have been spent on the likes of Pinilla and Kinsgton. Should a manager chose to drop these players (for disciplinary breaches, bad attitude, laziness etc.) Romanov would not be happy. Similarly, Romanov is keen to resort to dropping players who are unwilling to sign new contracts. The financial pressure to select some players and drop others may be, in Romanov's mind, irresistible.

If that remains the case the authority and autonomy of the manager are compromised and it would be difficult to achieve respect or build spirit within the squad. We've witnessed the consequences of ball-less managers with no real accountability.

Appointing McGhee will be a massive step in the right direction but it will take a lot more than that to reverse the rot.

But if McGee is smart he'll persuade Romanov that those same aims - showcasing players, turning a profit on their re-sale, and encouraging promising talents to re-sign - will be best achieved by the team performing well on the park and by morale and discipline reaching the levels they used to be at. If he's smart, he'll make Romanov realise that by leaving him to choose the team they will both be pulling in the same direction. If he sells it Romanov like that, there doesn't need to be a conflict of interest. Personally, I think that's what Romanov wants to hear.

jack D and coke

Another thing that bothers me is will Romanov be a dick regards transfers ie bid stupid amounts/offer players rubbish terms if he doesn't fancy them himself and the proposed transfers fall through?

I don't think i'll be able to relax about the whole thing for a while. I think IF we do appoint McGhee i'll be amazed if he lasts a year.

Tokyo Drifter

I don't think i'll be able to relax about the whole thing for a while. I think IF we do appoint McGhee i'll be amazed if he lasts a year.

That's a big danger. As it is there hasn't really been a serious appointment since Burley left so you could just view the last two seasons as a sort of hiatus as they search for the right person. But can the club afford to appoint a big name manager - and, let's face it, McGee is that at the moment, at least within the SCottish game - and then see him walk after a few weeks, a few months, or even a season? Don't think so. A lot depends on the relationship McGee and Vlad strike up.

But if McGee is smart he'll persuade Romanov that those same aims - showcasing players, turning a profit on their re-sale, and encouraging promising talents to re-sign - will be best achieved by the team performing well on the park and by morale and discipline reaching the levels they used to be at. If he's smart, he'll make Romanov realise that by leaving him to choose the team they will both be pulling in the same direction. If he sells it Romanov like that, there doesn't need to be a conflict of interest. Personally, I think that's what Romanov wants to hear.

My god,what do you think Anderton was trying to do,look where it got him.

scott herbertson

But I have never believed that was VR's plan.

Veyr few players are sold at a profit these days.

He'd have been better buying ?40million worth of lottery tickets.

His actions don't accord with someone who is only in it to resell players - he ruined the value of players like Brellier, Pospisil and to some extent Bednar, by letting them slip out of the team rather than cash in when their reputations were high, he refused to take good offers for Tall and Goncalves. He hasn't welcomed offers for guys like Wallace even when they were not first team regulars. He has continued to pay and play Steve Banks not Basso or Kurkis. He allowed Zaliukas to be supplanted by Karapidis

I am sure that player values are important to him as par tof the business model but I think he genuinely wants to be the owne rof a successful team too.

It was not his fault he did nothing for 8 months. He is one of the few players that I would have liked to have kept at Tynecastle.

If you recall he was not played initially by Burley becauae he was a Romanov signing and Burley did not want him.

When he did eventually play he was one of our most consistent players and I am sure most of the posters on here would agree with that.

I suppose you will be one of those who thinks that Zaliukas is a better player.

QUOTE=JamboinAberdeen;278623]forgive me for not jumping for joy just yet.

paying him decent money doesn't say much.

Ibby Tall was on ?10k a week and done zero for 8 months. many more could be mentioned

Francis Albert
It was not his fault he did nothing for 8 months. He is one of the few players that I would have liked to have kept at Tynecastle.

If you recall he was not played initially by Burley becauae he was a Romanov signing and Burley did not want him.

When he did eventually play he was one of our most consistent players and I am sure most of the posters on here would agree with that.

Agreed. First Burley then Rix ignored him because (unlike the likes of Calum apparently) he didn't show enough in training. He would have been one of my first picks once we actually saw him play. Not worth ?10k a week but again hardly his fault we paid him that much.

Archived