Ronaldo's penalty

i8hibsh

Can't see this being discussed anywhere but I am sure if has been one of the JKB special constables will post the thread

Was that not against the rules?

What is the law regarding stopping during taking a penalty?

Can't see this being discussed anywhere but I am sure if has been one of the JKB special constables will post the thread

No idea mate, but once he stopped and realized the keeper hadn't moved, advantage Van Der Sar. His face was a picture, he was so surprised I thought he was about to wet himself.

No idea mate, but once he stopped and realized the keeper hadn't moved, advantage Van Der Sar. His face was a picture, he was so surprised I thought he was about to wet himself.

I heard ages ago and subsequently always believed that you could not stop during the taking of a penalty

He really needs to change his tactics regardless - shocker of a penalty

Or even advantage Cech.

I always thought that it was against the rules too, but Ronaldo seems to do it every time and get away with it. Maybe the rules have changed?

Van der Sar?

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

They were talking about it on SSN. Apparently theres nothing wrong with it.

Or even advantage Cech.

I always thought that it was against the rules too, but Ronaldo seems to do it every time and get away with it. Maybe the rules have changed?

Rule negated if you wear a red shirt...:mad:

Ivan Drago

He should be banned by Ferguson from taking penalties.

Great player, but can't be trusted from the penalty spot. He's had a great season, but he almost cost Man U the Champions League last night.

If a Hearts player did something stupid like that and missed, i'd be raging.

Or even advantage Cech.

he always does it but never totally stops - he totally stopped

I reckon if he had scored it he would have had to respot

Great player, but can't be trusted from the penalty spot. He's had a great season, but he almost cost Man U the Champions League last night.

To be fair, his record with penalties is generally very good. Suppose that he has missed two crucial ones recently, though, if you include the one against Barca.

Rule negated if you wear a red shirt...:mad:

I've seen him do it for Portugal too, I'm sure.

he always does it but never totally stops - he totally stopped

I reckon if he had scored it he would have had to respot

Don't think that it matters. Even if the player just checks their run, which is what he usually does, it'd still surely be counted as stopping?

Wow, I'm really getting into this one. :confused:

Van der Sar?

yeah ok, Doh!! How could I not remember that it was cech when he was wearing that Flame flourescent strip, I thought he was going to audition for The fantastic 4 straight after the game the way he was dressed.

Buffalo Bill

Ronaldo could do worse than watch the Hearts' penalties in the 06 cup final.

Buffalo Bill

Ivan Drago
To be fair, his record with penalties is generally very good. Suppose that he has missed two crucial ones recently, though, if you include the one against Barca.

I've seen him do it for Portugal too, I'm sure.

Don't think that it matters. Even if the player just checks their run, which is what he usually does, it'd still surely be counted as stopping?

Wow, I'm really getting into this one. :confused:

I think he's actually missed at least another one, maybe two this season though? Not sure, maybe one of the statto's can reveal all....

Sexton Hardcastle

Was very impressed with Hargreaves last nite. And his penalty was a peach. someone dig up that classic blooper of a guy taking a penalty and he kicks the ground/his hammy goes. itsa classic if ever there was one.

I think he's actually missed at least another one, maybe two this season though? Not sure, maybe one of the statto's can reveal all....

I can't remember him ever having missed one prior to the Barca game, but it's not like I take a massive interest in his career. Maybe someone else can confirm.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
I can't remember him ever having missed one prior to the Barca game, but it's not like I take a massive interest in his career. Maybe someone else can confirm.

He missed one this season against West Ham. It went wide of the post, he drilled it low and hard.

I only know this because Rob Green was on Soccer AM last week.

Era Macaroons

If u stop dead its not on, Ronaldo gets away with this through 'momemtum' ie hes still 'moving'.

anyway I thought he was daft to do his usual thing...as goalie was expecting it. Great goal during the game though ....pure bookie basher:)

You're allowed to stop during your run, just not to 'dummy' hitting the shot, then hit it in the other side once the keeper's dived. He didn't actually fake hitting the shot when he stopped so technically allowed i think.

Era Macaroons
there is no law against stopping on the run up. common myth.

Really? fair enough.

hasnt he been asked to retake the odd one for actually 'stopping' in his run up tho?

rudi must stay

there are no rules and Ronaldo's penalty shows exactly why. you have no advantage whatsoever if the keeper doesn't move.

FORTHCLYDE

The point is as I tell all goalkeepers do not gamble on a dive, save the badly struck penalty, you will save more that way. There was another won last night more or less in the middle the keeper should have save that one.

loveofthegame

Who cares he missed! IMO it gave Cech an advantage as the slow approach made it much more obvious were he was gonna put it.

Stupid penalty from a man who is as cocky as he is talented.

Still delighted Utd did it!!

Denny Crane
Was very impressed with Hargreaves last nite. And his penalty was a peach. someone dig up that classic blooper of a guy taking a penalty and he kicks the ground/his hammy goes. itsa classic if ever there was one.

You can tell from Hargreaves' penalty that this was a chap who's played in the Bundesliga.

As for diving little scrote's dismal effort - should've just belted it one like he did against England a couple of years back. Regarding his technique, John Aldridge started doing it when he came back to England following his spell at Real Sociedad. Nothing new in Ronaldo doing it.

Thing was, Aldo (88 cup final aside) would usually score his penalties.

Cech did brilliantly if you ask me, it was almost a psyche out the way he just stared him in the eye when he stopped. Ronaldo got what he deserved for being a cocky wee *******, just before he started his run up he stared at Cech and spat at the ball but Cech was having none of it.

Bit of a shame for John Terry though, van der Saar had gone the wrong way, if he'd kept his balance it surely would have been Chelsea's.

there is no law against stopping on the run up. common myth.

However the Ref can rule it as an act of unsporting behaviour and order a retake.

I'm glad he missed it.... Cocky S**t :laugh: :laugh:

I didnt care if Chelsea lost, it was just hularious to see him miss his penalty!

jambojim52
Yeah, it should have been re-taken!

Don't see why. He could have scored if taken again. He gambled and lost. However, as has been said it is unsportsmanlike and had he scored, It should have been retaken. That's my take on it anyway.

Ronaldo could do worse than watch the Hearts' penalties in the 06 cup final.

Buffalo Bill

4 cracking penalties. The roll of honour: Pressley, Neilson, Skacel and Pospisil.

Most of Man United's were very well taken last night too. Some character showed by the likes of Anderson and Nani.

bishop1874

There is no rule against stopping, the only rule really is that you cant go back after you go forward, if you know what I mean.

DarthVodka
However the Ref can rule it as an act of unsporting behaviour and order a retake.

I am pretty sure a ref ordered a re-take of a penalty in a World cup when a player did this, might have been Italia 90. Probably isn't against the rules but some might not like it

4 cracking penalties. The roll of honour: Pressley, Neilson, Skacel and Pospisil.

Most of Man United's were very well taken last night too. Some character showed by the likes of Anderson and Nani.

Agreed, we were saying the same thing when watching it; really wouldn't fancy sitting on the bench all night without kicking a ball, then having to go and sink a penalty.

Fair play to them.

NoseLikeMahe

I'm sure I wouldn't have been alone... but I picked Ronaldo, Terry & Anelka to miss their pens before they took em.

Terry I felt for... but it was sod's law he'd miss after everything he did to get them there. Anelka was a stick-on scapegoat type... on his way out anyway, moody reputation etc etc.

Ronaldo is a shining example of my argument that "flair" players should not take penalties. Ronaldinho the same... They always want to find clever, flashy ways of beating the keeper and are prone to exactly that kind of ****** up.

Solid, no nonsense players with sound technique are the best penalty takers. Look at Owen Hargreaves' strike for a prime example. Hartley did it many times. Gareth Barry, Frank Lampard.. You never fancied Jorg Albertz to miss one... nor did you fancy being the 'keeper who took one of those for the team!

Archived