Under 17s - Competitive football

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

It seems that the SFA have finally implemented competitive football at U17 level with a new league set up.

I can't find any information about the league, but I understand that clubs will play 22 games between now and the end of the season. I've no idea if the results or league table will be published anywhere, but Hearts beat Kilmarnock 3-0 at Riccarton this afternoon with goals from Andy Taylor and Lewis Moore (2).

I think that this is a welcome change to introduce competitive leagues at an earlier age than the current U20/Development league.

It seems that the SFA have finally implemented competitive football at U17 level with a new league set up.

I can't find any information about the league, but I understand that clubs will play 22 games between now and the end of the season. I've no idea if the results or league table will be published anywhere, but Hearts beat Kilmarnock 3-0 at Riccarton this afternoon with goals from Andy Taylor and Lewis Moore (2).

I think that this is a welcome change to introduce competitive leagues at an earlier age than the current U20/Development league.

The only problem I see is that only 3 subs allowed after the first 10 games..

Footballfirst

The only problem I see is that only 3 subs allowed after the first 10 games..

I know that Hearts brought on 4 subs today. Do you have any more information about the League?

My lad was an unused keeper in this game today, he was brought up at the last minute as kelbie had failed to recover from injury in time. I think robbo was going to put my boy on for the last 10-15 minutes, but he pulled a muscle in his neck at half time.

I know that Hearts brought on 4 subs today. Do you have any more information about the League?

No FF. Just that for the first 10 games, they'd be allowed to use 5 subs, then after that it'd be downtown 3 as per 1st team.

Just think it'll be hard for lads training 4 times a week, then maybe getting no game as happened today.

Footballfirst

No FF. Just that for the first 10 games, they'd be allowed to use 5 subs, then after that it'd be downtown 3 as per 1st team.

Just think it'll be hard for lads training 4 times a week, then maybe getting no game as happened today.

The likeliest result of that is that clubs will cut the squad sizes at each age group by two or three. I don't see that as necessarily being a bad thing as it allows your better players to be playing a bit more.

The likeliest result of that is that clubs will cut the squad sizes at each age group by two or three. I don't see that as necessarily being a bad thing as it allows your better players to be playing a bit more.

Yes, I think you'll find squad sizes will be down to 15 with 'prospects' moving up an age group.

At 17z it still leaves a couple of boys not playing on a Sunday and to me you need a squad of 15, but why would you stay if you're not playing..?

disgruntledfan

I am sure the winners of the league (mini league) get to play in a European Competition as a reward. Its about time this was introduced at this level as it gives the boys a target to aim for. I see what people will mean regarding subs etc and lack of game time but this already happens at most age levels above 13s. This will also get the boys used to playing in a competitive environment because if you have been with a PY club throughout your younger years, you would have played very little competitive games compared to boys clubs.

Seen this argument a hundred times about Pro Youth football not being 'competitive'. It's a total myth and you don't have to be playing for trinkets for it to be competitive. Pro youth guys are playing for the right to continue at that level so anyone who thinks the players lack desire, determination or will to win obviously hasn't watched many Pro Youth games.

Archived