Victory Shield 2014

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

Scotland U16s won this last season with Hearts Leon Jones (capt) and Sean McKirdy in the side.

However, the Scots haven't fared too well this season, having lost their first two matches against Northern Ireland last week, and Wales tonight both by 2-1, so have no chance of retaining the trophy. Wales are now favourites having also beaten England 1-0 last week.

Hearts only representative is centre back Daniel Baur who has played in both games, but managed to get on the score sheet tonight for his first Scotland goal, so well done to him.

B1ymL62IYAEM_6w.jpg

Daniel is the 6' 4" no. 4 in the pic.

scott herbertson

Scotland U16s won this last season with Hearts Leon Jones (capt) and Sean McKirdy in the side.

However, the Scots haven't fared too well this season, having lost their first two matches against Northern Ireland last week, and Wales tonight both by 2-1, so have no chance of retaining the trophy. Wales are now favourites having also beaten England 1-0 last week.

Hearts only representative is centre back Daniel Baur who has played in both games, but managed to get on the score sheet tonight for his first Scotland goal, so well done to him.

B1ymL62IYAEM_6w.jpg

Nice to see a big Hearts lad in the Scotland squad at an early age.

fabienleclerq

B1ymL62IYAEM_6w.jpg

6' 4" at 16!! Is he a good footballer? Has he been around any of the older squads at Hearts?

6' 4" at 16!! Is he a good footballer? Has he been around any of the older squads at Hearts?

My nephew was playing with Daniel last year and he looks a very good player. His height is obviously an advantage but he's excellent on the ball as well. Long way to go obviously but he looks the part.

Footballfirst

He's still only 15 and has always been head and shoulders taller than anyone else at every age group. He plays regularly with the U17s, but I think he has only played a few mins with the U20s in bounce games.

Just a word about Leon Jones who has gone through an injury hell in the past year following a groin injury resulting in a hip operation. I have spoken with him a bit recently and if anyone deserves a career out of the game then its Leon. Hours spent on his own in the gym recuperating and now putting miles in his legs out running up and down on his own. His has been a lonely recovery aided by the excellent sports science team at Riccarton. Speaking to him tonight and he reckons he might be back training with his team at the end of the month with a view to playing again around Christmas. I think he deserves a break and hopefully his comeback will be soon and successful.

jamboinglasgow

He's still only 15 and has always been head and shoulders taller than anyone else at every age group. He plays regularly with the U17s, but I think he has only played a few mins with the U20s in bounce games.

If you look on the HYDC website at the Academy team squads through the years, the rate of growth is incrediable from him, especially in U13s team photo where he looks like he is an older player who snuck into the photo. On a side note, have the HYDC stopped taking team photos?

disgruntledfan

I hear "Big Dan" scored with a header last night although the 16s lost the match 1-2, congrats to Dan especially on a header but that score now means that Scotland cant retain the Victory Shield. The disappointing thing for me this year is that no games have been shown live, especially considering Sky Sports sponsor the cup, strange decision by them.

disgruntledfan

Just a word about Leon Jones who has gone through an injury hell in the past year following a groin injury resulting in a hip operation. I have spoken with him a bit recently and if anyone deserves a career out of the game then its Leon. Hours spent on his own in the gym recuperating and now putting miles in his legs out running up and down on his own. His has been a lonely recovery aided by the excellent sports science team at Riccarton. Speaking to him tonight and he reckons he might be back training with his team at the end of the month with a view to playing again around Christmas. I think he deserves a break and hopefully his comeback will be soon and successful.

Leon was offered a contract last year but refused as he is also a dedicated pupil and wanted to make sure that he passed all his highers. Even at his young age he understands the importance of education over football. But I am sure we will see him in full time next year as he thoroughly deserves it.

If you look on the HYDC website at the Academy team squads through the years, the rate of growth is incrediable from him, especially in U13s team photo where he looks like he is an older player who snuck into the photo. On a side note, have the HYDC stopped taking team photos?

HYDC do not have the required permission from Hearts to take photos or display them on their website this year, Hopefully this gets sorted.

I hear "Big Dan" scored with a header last night although the 16s lost the match 1-2, congrats to Dan especially on a header but that score now means that Scotland cant retain the Victory Shield. The disappointing thing for me this year is that no games have been shown live, especially considering Sky Sports sponsor the cup, strange decision by them.

That's probably punishment for winning ahead of England last year.

maroonnicky63

Good luck to him , lets hope he can be injury free and push on in his career, good player

Footballfirst

HYDC do not have the required permission from Hearts to take photos or display them on their website this year, Hopefully this gets sorted.

Not strictly true. Neither HYDC nor the Academy have confirmed to me that I have permission (specifically a PVG disclosure) to take photographs, nor supplied other information I have requested, e.g. fixture and squad lists.

Archived