Why do people living in cities drive 4x4's?

Ragnar

Fair enough if you live in the country and need to navigate over difficult terrain a lot of the time, but why do people in the city have them?

This is purely a guess, but I'd say around 95% of Land Rover owners have never seen anything remotely off-road.

Just seems a bit weird buying a vehicle that is designed for off-road use but only using it for driving to Tesco or work.

to be fair morningside/comiston is in a right mess luckily I have a awd. plus should withstand the impact from one of the many giant merc suvs kicking about.

It's mostly because they are the only ***** who can afford to. That and they can't drive a Clio in their Barbour jacket.

Once again Ragnar nails it

Paulie Walnut

Comfort, safety, space, style, cool factor, go anywhere ability, status and to piss people of who can't afford one and complain about them!

Ps I also wear a barbour jacket when I'm driving my land rover.

Fair enough if you live in the country and need to navigate over difficult terrain a lot of the time, but why do people in the city have them?

This is purely a guess, but I'd say around 95% of Land Rover owners have never seen anything remotely off-road.

Just seems a bit weird buying a vehicle that is designed for off-road use but only using it for driving to Tesco or work.

Some of them a pseudo 4x4s - the style but only 2-wheel transmission.

Cairneyhill Jambo

The worst area is Davidson Mains about 3:15pm when mummykins picks up Tarquin and drives him 50 yards down the road home.

cashgenerator

Comfort, safety, space, style, cool factor, go anywhere ability, status and to piss people of who can't afford one and complain about them!

2/10 must try harder

Why do people not buy the shittest, cheapest car that they can find? Because people like to drive nice cars. A lot of 4x4's are nice.

What annoys me is the people who say it is safer for their children, while remaining oblivious to the damage you can do to a child if you hit them with something that size.

Modern cars are plenty safe without weighing 2 tonnes +.

And also normal cars have the advantage that you don't have to look terrified trying to manoeuvre them in car parks.

I used to say this as well but a few months back I did consider getting one.

I was looking for a car with decent storage space and many 4x4s have it.

In the end I got a people carrier so I can still moan at the 4?4 school mums :)

Toxteth O'Grady

They do drive off road.

I've seen loads od 4x4 vehicles bumped up on the pavements outside primary schools.

Office workers need something to differentiate themselves from the neds who work on building sites.

:spoton:

I wonder if the OP has grown a set of balls yet and quit his job or is he just sticking to talking utter shite all the time?? :rolleyes:

Malinga the Swinga

I drive one. Not that expensive compared to many cars on the road and during the winter up in Hillend and Lenicuik, they are the only way, when it snows to get about. Unlike those in city centres, the roads are not cleared by the council and a non 4 wheel drive becomes unsafe in icy and snowy weather.

Not all 4x4's are used for school runs, I can park it in a single space, and it is has required minimal work done over the 4 years I have owned it. It was bought 2nd hand and when I sell it, I will get another one as they provide value for money.

It is the BMW, Audi and Merc drivers, along with sports cars that are the waste of money as the engines are too powerful for city driving.

I drive one. Not that expensive compared to many cars on the road and during the winter up in Hillend and Lenicuik, they are the only way, when it snows to get about. Unlike those in city centres, the roads are not cleared by the council and a non 4 wheel drive becomes unsafe in icy and snowy weather.

Not all 4x4's are used for school runs, I can park it in a single space, and it is has required minimal work done over the 4 years I have owned it. It was bought 2nd hand and when I sell it, I will get another one as they provide value for money.

It is the BMW, Audi and Merc drivers, along with sports cars that are the waste of money as the engines are too powerful for city driving.

Not only do I have a 4x4, I also have a BMW and live in a city. :)

High driving position and comfort

Feeling of safety being incased in 2 plus tonnes of steel as well, particularly with children. Also big fat bassas struggle to get into smaller cars.

Franco Fascione

Had a Land Rover Discovery for 6 months. Worst car I've ever had by a country mile. Big wallowing piece of crap.

You can smell the labour voting jealousy type all over this thread. People who can afford it like to drive nice big cars, I don't see the issue. These type of cars are aimed at successful people with a bit of money just as much as people who live in the country do the op's point is pretty irrelevant.

It's pure jealousy from some folk. It can't be denied. If someone has enough cash to buy a big fancy car and they want a big fancy car let them. Go buy a big fancy car.

I'll tell you what offends me more, folk with smart cars and wee clios and the likes. Monstrosities!!

The way Edinburghs roads are going a 4 x 4 will soon toil

Cause they love spending shitloads of money on fuel, sometimes 140 pounds to fill one up, madness.

If anyone tries to tell you that their land rover defender is comfortable, they are lying through their teeth.

Either that or they are a midget.

You get the same in a transit

Good point, more space and cheaper - but you don't get DVD players in the back of the seats.

Not sure why some people think only the 'well-off' can afford 4x4's.

Anyone can afford a decent car on a finance package these days.

I always find it funny when someone in a fancy car (which they got on finance) looks down on someone driving a regular car (which they bought straight up). All that really means is the person driving the fancy car is in more debt. Just think of that next time a 4x4 changes lane on a roundabout without indicating and misses you by a few inches.

Just seems strange buying a 4x4 and not using it for its original purpose.

We have a BMW X5. Great car, comfortable, dead reliable. Great in the snow and around this country's increasingly potholes streets!

One of the best cars I have ever had. A lot of car for the money, a new Fiesta costs more than I paid for it.

Fuel costs and car tax are high but that's down to fuel tax - it's not really BMW's fault...

Probably wouldn't spend ?50,000 on a new one though as I'd rather spend that money elsewhere. Everyone's different though.

OP sounds a little bitter maybe? Not everyone driving a 4x4 is a millionaire! :innocent:

I see the ops point but think people drive them more as a style choice as opposed to the functionality. Similar query could be asked about cars that can go in excess of 70mph, or why do people wear camouflage trousers.

jack D and coke

If I could afford one Id get a Range Rover they're really smart but imo they should be hammered tax wise. Gas guzzling enormous polluters and should be treated as such.

Randle P McMurphy

You get the same in a transit

Exactly, it's just like a comfy practical transit that you can park in a multi storey

Generic Username

Not sure why some people think only the 'well-off' can afford 4x4's.

Anyone can afford a decent car on a finance package these days.

I always find it funny when someone in a fancy car (which they got on finance) looks down on someone driving a regular car (which they bought straight up). All that really means is the person driving the fancy car is in more debt. Just think of that next time a 4x4 changes lane on a roundabout without indicating and misses you by a few inches.

Just seems strange buying a 4x4 and not using it for its original purpose.

"Anyone can afford a decent car on a finance package these days"

Except you if you ever jack in this job of yours.

Stewie Griffin

Exactly, it's just like a comfy practical transit that you can park in a multi storey

From what I've seen people don't really park 4x4's they just abandon them wherever they feel like

We have a BMW X5. Great car, comfortable, dead reliable. Great in the snow and around this country's increasingly potholes streets!

One of the best cars I have ever had. A lot of car for the money, a new Fiesta costs more than I paid for it.

Fuel costs and car tax are high but that's down to fuel tax - it's not really BMW's fault...

Probably wouldn't spend ?50,000 on a new one though as I'd rather spend that money elsewhere. Everyone's different though.

OP sounds a little bitter maybe? Not everyone driving a 4x4 is a millionaire! :innocent:

Is the x5 really good in the snow? I was looking at them but I imagined it to be terrible in the snow.

it's a perceived status symbol because they are arseholes.

To be fair, if they want to do it, knock themselves out. Seems utterly pointless to me though. I'd put them in the same category as people who by Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches et al and keep them in a garage instead of actually using them for the purpose they are intended.

"Anyone can afford a decent car on a finance package these days"

Except you if you ever jack in this job of yours.

Top Range Rover on finance is ?1000 per month +

depends what you call decent I guess.

MOst cars on finance (non business packages) are pricey.

I had a freelander years ago and loved it- great seating position, comfy. loads of room,

And aye- same seating position in a transit- but are we serilously suggesting that we should all be haring about in transit vans?

Craig Gordons Gloves

We have 2 and it's magic driving them. I need one of them for pulling the boat trailer as well. :)

*we also live in a State where the snow, ice and cold lasts about 4-5 months of the year.

Archived