Computers; Does anyone use a PDA?

Craigieboy

Craigieboy

What are they like?

Is it easy to share data between that & your PC?

Any recomendations?

Stuart Lyon

Guy on Jo Willey's show yesterday said these are close to being obsolete as their functions can be carried out by the latest phones. I think if you go to the BBC site and look for Jo's Blogg (I know that sounds corny) you may be able to read what he said.

As poster above says, pretty much any Blackberry or Smartphone will give you what you'd get from a PDA.

Craigieboy

Thanks.

My main use for something like this is to be able to keep a record of all my individual customers, what money they are due, invoices etc.

It is important to be able to transfer data between my laptop & the PDA.

I'm not so bothered about a PDA being out of date (or fashion!). As long as it does what I mentioned above.

Oh, and I don't need internet email access.

Is it best to have a PDA for this or are the other things better?

Thanks.

My main use for something like this is to be able to keep a record of all my individual customers, what money they are due, invoices etc.

It is important to be able to transfer data between my laptop & the PDA.

I'm not so bothered about a PDA being out of date (or fashion!). As long as it does what I mentioned above.

Oh, and I don't need internet email access.

Is it best to have a PDA for this or are the other things better?

Sounds like you need an ultra portable laptop rather than a phone or PDA mate.

The lines between smartphones and PDAs are blurring. I use an O2 XDA Stellar, and absolutely love it. Fairly chunky for a modern phone, but worth it for the rest of the spec. Has a slide out Qwerty keyboard.

http://shop.o2.co.uk/mobile_phone/O2/Xda%20Stellar

Comes with mobile office, including Excel, which would be just the job for your requirements.

Includes WiFi, so when you find a free WiFi hotspot, you can browse the internet and send/receive emails free of charge.

If being bang up to date isn't that important, have a look for an old XDA Mini S on eBay. Similar device, keyboard not as nice, no WiFi.

Archived