Respect

John Findlay

John Findlay

to both Walter Smith and Ally McCoist.

Gentlemen you both conducted yourselves at the funeral of Tommy Burns with a dignity that thousands of supporters of the club you both work for wouldn't find in a million years.

Gentlemen I salute you both.

John

loveofthegame

Gentlemen you both conducted yourselves at the funeral of Tommy Burns with a dignity that thousands of supporters of the club you both work for wouldn't find in a million years.

John

I'll second that. Some things are more important than football rivalries.

Jambosimmy

yeah they showed great courage and conducted themselves very well. well done to all the rangers fans and rival fans alike.

Thig Ar Latha

John

I don't salute them as I expected nothing else from them. They both worked with Tommy over many years and had great respect for him. Many Old Firm players and officals, as well as in all other Teams have friends and business partners who are with their rivals. Anything less than their behaviour would have been disgraceful. They did nothing more than which was expected of them. That there was such a good and varied turnout was down to the great respect earned by Tommy Burns during his career, the same sort of respect that both Smith and McCoist, and many others should get when ever their time comes.

After the battering Rangers image has received in the past week, it was good to see the supporters of the Clubs mixed showing their respects on the tv News clip.

I must admit, despite being unmoved by the images of fans in tears (I don't really go in for the whole national outpour of emotion) I found it very touching to see the quite incredible pictures of the tributes laid out at Celtic Park.

Thousands of flags, scarves and shirts from various teams. Nice to see bitter rivalries can be put aside.

John Findlay
I don't salute them as I expected nothing else from them. They both worked with Tommy over many years and had great respect for him. Many Old Firm players and officals, as well as in all other Teams have friends and business partners who are with their rivals. Anything less than their behaviour would have been disgraceful. They did nothing more than which was expected of them. That there was such a good and varied turnout was down to the great respect earned by Tommy Burns during his career, the same sort of respect that both Smith and McCoist, and many others should get when ever their time comes.

After the battering Rangers image has received in the past week, it was good to see the supporters of the Clubs mixed showing their respects on the tv News clip.

I understand where you are coming from but, 30yrs ago the manager of Rangers to attend a funeral mass for an ex Celtic player and manager and to be a pall bearer would have been a no no a definite no no. It proves things are changing, very slowly but changing. What Walter Smith and Ally McCoist did yesterday was more than attending a funeral.

John

Pants Shaton

It reflects poorly on Scottish football that normal human compassion has to be singled out for praise.

lambojambo

John

I not sure they are worthy of any special "salute" John.

I really would have expected nothing less from them to be honest

Did Hearts have any representation at the funeral - not stirring just a geniune question?

I understand where you are coming from but, 30yrs ago the manager of Rangers to attend a funeral mass for an ex Celtic player and manager and to be a pall bearer would have been a no no a definite no no. It proves things are changing, very slowly but changing. What Walter Smith and Ally McCoist did yesterday was more than attending a funeral.

John

Couldn't agree more.

Was David Murray there?

stirlingshirejambo

I think that the family of Tommy Burns should be congratulated on their choice of pall bearers. Walter and Ally were only doing what any good friend would do.

But I have the utmost respect for Tommy Burns wife and family as they would of been well aware of the impact that this gesture would make across the divide

John Findlay
I think that the family of Tommy Burns should be congratulated on their choice of pall bearers. Walter and Ally were only doing what any good friend would do.

But I have the utmost respect for Tommy Burns wife and family as they would of been well aware of the impact that this gesture would make across the divide

I wholeheartedly echo these sentiments too.

John

John

Thats nonsense,of course a Rangers manager would attend a funeral mass.And the definate no no part is total rubbish.

Tom Heaney

John

And why shouldn't they? Why should you be surprised?

Hearts Heritage

One of my closest school friends died a month ago. He lived near Bridge of Weir. On the day of the funeral Rangers were playing the second leg of the UEFA semi. Ally McCoist wore a pink flower in tribute to Neil who had died.

Archived