Unconscious Bias

Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime

I?ve just completed a course on this at work which was very interesting indeed. For those unfamiliar with the term is basically refers to peoples prejudices within their subconscious state on a variety of areas including race, sexuality, gender, age etc. For example you might not think you have a bias towards a particular race but physiologically you may.

We were given an online test conducted by Harvard University which aims to identify your unconscious biases (or lack of them) through a series of questions and test. The link is below and you enter the "social attitudes" section, registering is just your email address. Very interesting and might point to things about yourself you previously weren't aware of.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

Geoff Kilpatrick

I'm biased towards ignoring lecturers with too much time on their hands getting grants from the race relations industry.

Optimus Prime

I'm biased towards ignoring lecturers with too much time on their hands getting grants from the race relations industry.

Thanks for that. Race is merely one aspect that is looked at. Not suggesting it's definitive but worthy of debate....seem you don't agree.

AlphonseCapone

I?ve just completed a course on this at work which was very interesting indeed. For those unfamiliar with the term is basically refers to peoples prejudices within their subconscious state on a variety of areas including race, sexuality, gender, age etc. For example you might not think you have a bias towards a particular race but physiologically you may.

We were given an online test conducted by Harvard University which aims to identify your unconscious biases (or lack of them) through a series of questions and test. The link is below and you enter the "social attitudes" section, registering is just your email address. Very interesting and might point to things about yourself you previously weren't aware of.

If I remember correctly, it's an evolutionary thing, something to do with quickly having to make decisions without the time for rational thought, race is to do with in and out group bias and it being safer to treat suspiciously those from out with your group. Gender and age comes down to preconceived ideas of for example woman and older people being weaker etc.

Maybe I made that all up, it's been a while since I've read about it!

I P Knightley

Regional accents within the UK would be a big area for generating such bias. How would you feel if a surgeon or consultant introduced himself (and I'm going male on the toss of a coin) with a broad Brummie or Weegie accent?

Less unconscious is my bias against people who can't distinguish "their", "they're" and "there".

Optimus Prime

Regional accents within the UK would be a big area for generating such bias. How would you feel if a surgeon or consultant introduced himself (and I'm going male on the toss of a coin) with a broad Brummie or Weegie accent?

Less unconscious is my bias against people who can't distinguish "their", "they're" and "there".

Is that directed at me?

I P Knightley

Is that directed at me?

Not at all. Just a random throwaway.

(Now was the stuff about Brummies or Weegies).

I came out as slightly favouring White over Black which I presume was down to taking longer to answer questions regarding black, so in fact not unconscious bias but a concious effort in not negatively/incorrectly answering the Black questions and being labelled as racist.

I reckon unconcious bias is less harmful than positive discrimination.

I reckon that's nonsense. :)

Archived