Up Town, Down Town, Maroon Town

ArcticJambo

Always wondered what folks living in Morningside, for instance, said when they were heading into the centre for a night out?

Down here by the seaside we would typically say 'uptown'.

Well, what you say kickbackers.

The Future's Maroon

Up town/going tae the hen broon and I'm basically in Gorgie!

the stone rose

Uptown city centre?

Downtown suburbs?

Always been up town for me, regardless of which direction that is.

From West Lothian its always into town.

Here in Blackburn we go into Bathgate, along to Whitburn, up to Stoneyburn (which is south) and doon tae Lithgae (which is north).

For a night out it would be 'up the toon'.

'Into toon' for any other trips.

"Into Town" for me as well. Live in Bonnyrigg so its an 8 mile commute for me in the mornings.

The Future's Maroon

Here in Blackburn we go into Bathgate, along to Whitburn, up to Stoneyburn (which is south) and doon tae Lithgae (which is north).

Brilliant!

Into town.

In Fort William if you live in Upper Achintore or the Plantation you go 'down town' - but it's two words and if you know the physical geography of the place it makes sense....

And the rest of west Lothian say avoid Blackburn

Up toon from wherever I've been in Edinburgh.

When I stayed in Hawick, everyone there said they're going 'doon the street'. I used to get slagged for saying up toon.

I don't remember using uptown much when in Edinburgh, I seem to remember it being an English expression. Of course on this side of the Atlantic downtown has always been City centre, or where the action is.

I live in the West of the city and say "up toon" if it refers to a night out. I`d imagine posh Morningsiders might say the same but in a more eloquent tone. :toff:

I`d take a guess that "Up toon" in most people heads is in the vicinity of Princes Street , West and East End and possibly the Bridges. I don`t regard Morningside as "up toon".

Maroon Sailor

I live in the West of the city and say "up toon" if it refers to a night out. I`d imagine posh Morningsiders might say the same but in a more eloquent tone. :toff:

I`d take a guess that "Up toon" in most people heads is in the vicinity of Princes Street , West and East End and possibly the Bridges. I don`t regard Morningside as "up toon".

Up the toon is all the places you mention as far as I'm concerned. Basically anything between Lothian Road and The Bridges / The Grassmarket to Queen Street

Old Whitsonian

Being from the West side of the city, we always said uptown. Have known people from the Southside way who say down the town, I guess because you go down the bridges from there.

Good stuff. Cheers folks. Sounds like it's a unanimous 'up the toon' irrespective of your geographical locale or, height asl relative to the centre.

Archived