Tv advice

hampdenhero

I got a 42" Panasonic Viera for ?450 in John Lewis a few months back. It's a smart TV so you get apps in it like YouTube, BBC iplayer & Netflix.

I love it.

I got a 42" Panasonic Viera for ?450 in John Lewis a few months back. It's a smart TV so you get apps in it like YouTube, BBC iplayer & Netflix.

I love it.

I got a 42" Panasonic Viera Plasma out of Lewis's 4 years ago. Not a smart TV like CB's but I do get that stuff via Virgin anyway.

Panasonic rock, IMO.

On my retirement, I treated myself to a Samsung HD 40" TV with blue Ray Player. That was 8 yrs ago. No problems at all. I got it from John Lewis. Good knowledgable staff, & a 5 year guarantee. I never go anywhere else for electrical/white goods. Now hooked up to a SKY 2 gig box & linked to my Wi-Fi. Only minor issue was the sound, as speakers are at the bottom rear and muffle the sound a bit, especially when said TV is in bay window and drawn curtains muffle the sound even more. Problem solved with an Orbit sound bar, great surround sound effect. TV's now will be even better I suppose, maybe I'll treat myself again in a couple of years time.

3fingersreid

John Lewis and any Samsung plasma TV

You just can't go wrong especially with a free 5 year guarantee

John Lewis and any Samsung plasma TV

You just can't go wrong especially with a free 5 year guarantee

Is plasma not a bit old hat 3fr? I had a plasma years ago and it was like a radiator in the room, roasting! LED surely a better choice now due to it being a thinner screen and less power usage etc?

Recently picked up a 42" Hitachi Smart TV from Argos for ?250, cracking picture and brilliant for the price.

3fingersreid

Is plasma not a bit old hat 3fr? I had a plasma years ago and it was like a radiator in the room, roasting! LED surely a better choice now due to it being a thinner screen and less power usage etc?

You can get some real quality plasma tellys , j Lewis had a wafer thin Sony ? Plasma with a lovely maroon surround , wasn't cheap mind but worth it

Rudolf's Mate

Has anyone had an electrical item from John Lewis which developed a fault and had to contact them?

I have and they were a feckin nightmare! Just beware of JL's so called extended warranty. If out of the manufacturers standard warranty you're meant to be able to take it back to JL who will arrange or a repair. Good luck with that as they told me to contact manufacturer directly!

Apologies for hijacking the thread ;)

Been buying Samsung for 7 years and never had any issues.

Serj Tankian

Has anyone had an electrical item from John Lewis which developed a fault and had to contact them?

I have and they were a feckin nightmare! Just beware of JL's so called extended warranty. If out of the manufacturers standard warranty you're meant to be able to take it back to JL who will arrange or a repair. Good luck with that as they told me to contact manufacturer directly!

Apologies for hijacking the thread ;)

Been buying Samsung for 7 years and never had any issues.

Bought a toshiba tv from them a few years ago and had some issues sound and channels a man came out took it away and still had issues so they replaced it no bother .

Rudolf's Mate

Bought a toshiba tv from them a few years ago and had some issues sound and channels a man came out took it away and still had issues so they replaced it no bother .

I think I was just unlucky however I dealt with 4 different people who I knew were giving me the wrong info. Not only that they all claimed that I had to deal with Sony myself which I ended up putting a call into Sony. I was lucky in that it was still under Sony manufacturer warranty however I asked Sony what would happen if it had gone into JL's extended thus being out of Sony's warranty and was told that I would be charged for the repair. I called JL back and told them that the extended warranty was useless if they refused to get involved and that they were miss-selling the warranties. Funnily enough I was offered a new replacement by next day delivery.

Archived