Buying a bike to cycle to work

Ivan Drago

Anyone able to give me any advice? E.g. where is best to buy one and what brands to look for/avoid?

I want to buy one in store as opposed to getting it delivered to ensure it's the right size etc (haven't cycled for years). I think in terms of stores near me (I don't drive) my options are Evans and Halfords.

Not looking to spend a huge amount of money as don't know how long I'll stick at it, but don't want to buy any old shite.

The Treasurer

Get the bus.

The last thing our city streets need is another inexperienced "cyclist" wobbling about holding up real traffic

The People's Chimp

Get the bus.

The last thing our city streets need is another inexperienced "cyclist" wobbling about holding up real traffic

:jjyay:

Hopefully a cyclist holds you up on the way home by jumping a red.

I don't think it does sadly, also I should probably have pointed out I'm based in Glasgow in my OP :laugh:

If you're in Glasgow, then pop into Rig on West Regent St, really sound guys. You should look into a fixed gear or single speed. Low maintenance and Glasgow is just on the right side of hilly for getting about.

:jjyay:

If you're in Glasgow, then pop into Rig on West Regent St, really sound guys. You should look into a fixed gear or single speed. Low maintenance and Glasgow is just on the right side of hilly for getting about.

I think I know where you are, is that round about the golf lounge and gamba's etc?

Sorry Treasurer, to busy saving the planet to consider getting a bus B)

The Treasurer

Not very likely as I walk to work. Although there's always the danger of some arse on a bike deciding that the pavement is part of the imaginary cycle track that they think they are entitled to

The People's Chimp

I think I know where you are, is that round about the golf lounge and gamba's etc?

Sorry Treasurer, to busy saving the planet to consider getting a bus B)

Yeah spot on, it's one street over from west george st where the golf lounge is. Just up from MEAT Bar, which is pretty good btw.

Being serious for a moment, if it is just for commuting then get a hybrid bike.

I've just got a Specialized Sirrus 15 and it is the Mutt's Nuts.

It depends how far you're commuting. I only live about a mile from work so I just have a cheap mountain bike to get around town that little bit quicker.

That said, it's currently on its last legs (having started to fall to bits in the last month or so) and I am looking to get something else. My employer does do the Cycle2Work scheme but as things stand I'm likely to either be joining the regular army in January or going on tour as a reserve in March so I don't know how I'd be able to pay a bike off over 12 months.

The People's Chimp

Being serious for a moment, if it is just for commuting then get a hybrid bike.

I've just got a Specialized Sirrus 15 and it is the Mutt's Nuts.

Why get a hybrid? Serious question. A fixed gear is perfect for commuting, single speed a close second.

Why get a hybrid? Serious question. A fixed gear is perfect for commuting, single speed a close second.

What's the actual difference? This is probably a daft question but does fixed gear or single speeds mean you can't change gear at all?

It was recommended to me by my mate that is a serious cyclist. He used s fixed gear bike to commute on but then again he has several other bikes for touring etc.

The People's Chimp

It was recommended to me by my mate that is a serious cyclist. He used s fixed gear bike to commute on but then again he has several other bikes for touring etc.

Cool, just you gave that advice out like it was gospel. I'm only saying a fixed gear because I have so much fun mine, but then some cyclists will call you a fixie ###### so it's all relative. I live in Glasgow and cycle around town all the time, and find that riding fixed is perfect as it's really low maintenance, the bikes look great, and you get this amazing sense of connection to the bike. I find it also means you get good interval training as well, with all the traffic lights.

Franco Fascione

If you go to Halfords, the Chris Boardman bikes seem to get a pretty good write up. Evans have a pretty good selection, including the new Chris Hoy range, although if it's for commuting I'd get a hybrid as they're pretty good and sturdy for tackling the pot holes which try to eat your bike up.

I have three bikes just now, one of which has front suspension and seat post suspension, it's a Merida hybrid bike for city roads. (Anyone not liking Merida? Merida own 34% of Specialized and manufacture nearly all of the bikes Specialized sells - in the same factory as Merida bikes in Taiwan, except Merida is cheaper to buy). I also have two hand built bikes which I've customised.

I tend to go to the smaller independent bike shops, in Edinburgh so I won't bother you with those.

If you go to Halfords, the Chris Boardman bikes seem to get a pretty good write up. Evans have a pretty good selection, including the new Chris Hoy range, although if it's for commuting I'd get a hybrid as they're pretty good and sturdy for tackling the pot holes which try to eat your bike up.

I have three bikes just now, one of which has front suspension and seat post suspension, it's a Merida hybrid bike for city roads. (Anyone not liking Merida? Merida own 34% of Specialized and manufacture nearly all of the bikes Specialized sells - in the same factory as Merida bikes in Taiwan, except Merida is cheaper to buy). I also have two hand built bikes which I've customised.

I tend to go to the smaller independent bike shops, in Edinburgh so I won't bother you with those.

This man speaks the truth about Merida, although I thought it was 51% :-)

I got a Boardman CX Comp bike recently. It's like a road bike but with fatter tyres so aint had a puncture yet. It's the best bike I've ever had.

I P Knightley

Whatever bike you go for, get yourself a pair of Kevlar lined tyres for puncture resistance.

My bike came with 28-section tyres which I switched to 32s. The wider tyre is better for reducing the bumps and vibration on the roads and tracks.

Franco Fascione

This man speaks the truth about Merida, although I thought it was 51% :-)

You are right it was, but the guy who started Specialized bought some of the shareholding back from Merida.

Whatever bike you go for, get yourself a pair of Kevlar lined tyres for puncture resistance.

My bike came with 28-section tyres which I switched to 32s. The wider tyre is better for reducing the bumps and vibration on the roads and tracks.

Agree with you here, always buy the most protective tyres you can afford.

I went for a light tourer but with hindsight I'd probably have gone for a mud guard compliant cyclo-cross for my commute, for example

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/raleigh-rx-elite-cross-sora-2014/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&utm_content=Raleigh%20RX%20Elite%20Cross%20Sora%202014%20-%2055cm%20Black%20%7C%20Cyclocross%20Bikes&kpid=5360620359&sku=5360620359&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=5360620359uk.

One bit of advice for purchasing in Glasgow is that the evans store will price match sale bikes from online retailers, including chain reaction and wiggle (providing that they stock it and that the online bike is available). This is great if you don't know your size/what it's like to ride different bike types so want to try in store but still get online prices.

I P Knightley

I went for a light tourer but with hindsight I'd probably have gone for a mud guard compliant cyclo-cross for my commute, for example

I'm on my second cyclo-cross and wouldn't want anything else now. You can get mudguards to fit any type of frame/brake/gear combo these days.

Buy an Apollo X-Rated. You can do a no-hander for miles.

How's it for wheelies?

3829844056_9c36220d72.jpg

Halfords are selling these bad boys again but the new styling sucks. Always wanted one but never got one

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Give me a call in my bike shop (I've PM'D you my number) and I'll try and talk you thru the best options. If you don't buy from me I'll advise you of a good shop near you. (the bike industry is a small close knit community)

I P Knightley

3829844056_9c36220d72.jpg

Halfords are selling these bad boys again but the new styling sucks. Always wanted one but never got one

You can go looking for the classics but you'd have to part with upwards of ?500 for a decent one.

I'd thought about getting one for a laugh when a mate whose become deadly serious (with lycra and a ?5000 road bike) invited me out for a scoot around the Surrey Downs. I'm not paying ?500 for a lark.

Archived