We will have a sticky patch

Bruno

UnbelievableJeff

My grammar was fine, if a little misleading. I am glad you aren't upset, I hope your tea was nice, Jeff. :)

It was lovely thanks. What I had for pudding was particularly satisfying.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Old Pivotonian

If we win our next 2 games we WILL be at least 9 points clear as it seems that Sevco don't have a game the weekend after next. There is nothing to fear from either QotS (lost 2-0 at Cowden on Saturday) or part-timers Alloa. As long as the attitude is right we should win both games. If we perform as we have done in the last 2 games the rest will only be playing for play-off places come February. Onward and upward.

'Your most difficult opponent is your NEXT opponent'. Someone brainy once said that.

portobellojambo1

We will encounter some matches this season where it will be neither free flowing football, or a goal fest, in fact we have already experienced one such day at Dumbarton, where the opposition decided one point would suffice for them and they set up to obtain that 1 point and succeeded in doing so. Surely a learning experience for Robbie Neilson and the players, and hopefully we took something away from that game. I do think the style of football we play could be a little more difficult on occasion over the course of the winter months as pitches get heavier, but being in a division where a few of the teams have artificial surfaces could actually help us. Craig Levein may also play a part during the January transfer window in helping Robbie Neilson select the type of additional players that will help us get through those Winter months.

However, at the moment the most important game is the one coming up on Saturday, versus QoS. Go there, get a result, bank the information learned and then move on to the next fixture versus Alloa, who, from speaking to both Hibernian and Rangers fans at work, do have an artificial surface but their comments were it isn't the best quality and the ball bounces in strange ways. We need to just take each game as it comes, keep learning from them, make adjustments to the line up as and when it is felt necessary, and just hope the players are taking as much confidence out of these games as the fans are. If we can keep winning games, irrespective of the final score, then we can leave it to the other teams to worry about where they will finish.

Say we're 6 points ahead, and we draw at home to Raith, please tell me there aren't any fans that would boo?

These kind of results just happen in football, no team has ever managed to win all their games, and very few have ever gone through a season without a 3 or 4 game spell where they dropped a lot of points. Which is why we shouldn't get on their backs when it happens - its inevitable that we suffer some shock results.

Getintaethem

A few on here underestimating QOS by the looks of things, best of the rest in this league IMO. I expect them to make the play offs.

Having said that, if we play well we should get a victory.

Sticky patch and fears for the season threads.....why?

Maybe it's human nature to fear a downturn when things are looking up but you've got to go with the confidence flow. You have to play on the positives in this moment and not sit and wait on it going tits up.

Who says we'll have a bad patch? What is deemed a bad patch? A couple of games where we don't win?

We can't stand the Old Firm but one thing I'll give them is they don't fear failure. They always think they can win and keep winning. If they get beat they look to win ASAP without concerns if they will or not.

Too many Hearts fans worry. Enjoy the good times and believe they'll stay. If we trip up soon, so what? Move on as we did after an indifferent performance v Dumbarton.

Maybe it's human nature to fear a downturn when things are looking up but you've got to go with the confidence flow. You have to play on the positives in this moment and not sit and wait on it going tits up.

Who says we'll have a bad patch? What is deemed a bad patch? A couple of games where we don't win?

We can't stand the Old Firm but one thing I'll give them is they don't fear failure. They always think they can win and keep winning. If they get beat they look to win ASAP without concerns if they will or not.

Too many Hearts fans worry. Enjoy the good times and believe they'll stay. If we trip up soon, so what? Move on as we did after an indifferent performance v Dumbarton.

Very well said and very true.

Snake Plissken

Every single match thread this season has had some folk shitting themselves, it's like they feel guilty for all the enjoyment this season has already provided.

Say we're 6 points ahead, and we draw at home to Raith, please tell me there aren't any fans that would boo?

These kind of results just happen in football, no team has ever managed to win all their games, and very few have ever gone through a season without a 3 or 4 game spell where they dropped a lot of points. Which is why we shouldn't get on their backs when it happens - its inevitable that we suffer some shock results.

Raith are that bad I'll boo if they get a corner.

UnbelievableJeff

When you look at the teams in this league, including some of the better ones we have already swept aside, does anyone now honestly look at any fixture and say 'we would take a draw if offered' ?

I certainly don't and whilst the odd blip( like Dumbarton) is just something that happens, it won't damage us. What would damage us is regularly losing or drawing away from home, dropping points here there and everywhere. These are not difficult games for the most part and I just can't envisage us having a bad patch( a run of 4 or 5 games where we don't win) or regularly failing to beat these teams.

We should enjoy this dominance. I have no doubt it's a season long thing. Next season is another matter entirely and we'll have to strengthen especially at the back, but this season, unless Rangers suddenly up their game 4 fold, is an utter breeze(the odd blip allowed for)

The Shed Floodlight

in the next quarter of games i expect a few points dropped and maybe defeats as other clubs will have Hearts, sussed.

QOTS away has been a hard ground to go to for quite sometime now even for Spl sides who have had their scalp taken there.This was one of the fixtures I was not looking forward to at the start of the season.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

in the next quarter of games i expect a few points dropped and maybe defeats as other clubs will have Hearts, sussed.

Aye? Super. I'll be thinking about you as I cheer on our victories. :)

The Shed Floodlight

Aye? Super. I'll be thinking about you as I cheer on our victories. :)

all about opinions Mothy, and that is my opinion. A few injuries and suspensions kick in after one like Gomis booking on Sunday and we are toiling. This is Hearts, we are talking about not Barcelona or Real Madrid, we aint World beaters.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

all about opinions Mothy, and that is my opinion. A few injuries and suspensions kick in after one like Gomis booking on Sunday and we are toiling. This is Hearts, we are talking about not Barcelona or Real Madrid, we aint World beaters.

All about opinions indeed then. :)

My opinion is that we will show similar form all season and will only lose a tiny handful of times. :)

UnbelievableJeff

All about opinions indeed then. :)

My opinion is that we will show similar form all season and will only lose a tiny handful of times. :)

I expect us to lose a maximum of 5 league games this season. That's just allowing for blips, bad luck and bad days at the office. It's a matter of opinion or prediction as to how many anyone else thinks we'll lose, but I will be close.

I expect us to lose a maximum of 5 league games this season. That's just allowing for blips, bad luck and bad days at the office. It's a matter of opinion or prediction as to how many anyone else thinks we'll lose, but I will be close.

I don't think you will be far off, in fact, I think you've been a little conservative, we won't lose more than three, IMO. However, let's look at stats. Had we won every single game, we'd have 108 points. The biggest points total for a winning team in the Championship (or it's equivalent) in the last ten years was 79 points. Those points were secured by Ross County. They drew thirteen games and lost only once.

This isn't a standard Championship season, though. Hearts and Rangers are here pretty artificially. Financial issues put us here, not our on pitch form. Rangers have been through this two seasons on the bounce. Their points totals for these years?

Third Division W25 D8 L3 - 99 points.

Second Division W33 D3 L0 - 102 points.

For statistical record, their current total after seven games...

Championship W4 D1 L2 - 13 points.

Bearing in mind the increase in quality of competition, I reckon that we will need to be circa 90 points to be challenging for the league and I reckon 95 guarantees us the title. That gives us 13 points room to be champions, roughly three per round of fixtures. I think we will win the league, but I do think it's going to be close.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

About where I'm at, too. Maybe a bit closer to BH' s assessment above. I'd be astonished if we lost more than five, and a bit disappointed if we lost five.

UnbelievableJeff

I don't think you will be far off, in fact, I think you've been a little conservative, we won't lose more than three, IMO. However, let's look at stats. Had we won every single game, we'd have 108 points. The biggest points total for a winning team in the Championship (or it's equivalent) in the last ten years was 79 points. Those points were secured by Ross County. They drew thirteen games and lost only once.

This isn't a standard Championship season, though. Hearts and Rangers are here pretty artificially. Financial issues put us here, not our on pitch form. Rangers have been through this two seasons on the bounce. Their points totals for these years?

Third Division W25 D8 L3 - 99 points.

Second Division W33 D3 L0 - 102 points.

For statistical record, their current total after seven games...

Championship W4 D1 L2 - 13 points.

Bearing in mind the increase in quality of competition, I reckon that we will need to be circa 90 points to be challenging for the league and I reckon 95 guarantees us the title. That gives us 13 points room to be champions, roughly three per round of fixtures. I think we will win the league, but I do think it's going to be close.

I also had a look at previous championships after our debate yesterday. Most times the champions have gotten away with an inordinate amount of dropped points compared with a league like the SPL which always has an utterly dominant force in it and sometimes two. Last season, for example, Dundee had 9 losses and 6 draws. Doing that this season would be lucky to see you get 3rd place.

In the SPL, where there has always been a dominant team and sometimes two, about 4-5 defeats is par for the course. It has been done with less than that obviously but more than that and you are asking for trouble, especially if there is a rival who is also streets ahead of 'the rest'. In the close SPL title races they haven't lost more than 3-4 each.(from memory)

Assuming we all agree there's is no prospect of a serious challenge from anyone apart from Rangers then it's all about how much more they have in the locker that they haven't shown yet. This also assumes that we are not playing hugely above our true selves with a cataclysmic collapse just around the corner.

Archived