Joey Barton jailed for six months (NHR)

Sherlock

Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton has been jailed for six months after admitting assault and affray.

Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton has been jailed for six months after admitting assault and affray.

The Newcastle United midfielder was arrested in Liverpool city centre in the early hours of 27th December after becoming involved in a confrontation outside a McDonald's restaurant.

Barton, who has one England cap, admitted the charges last month and he has now been sentenced at Liverpool Crown Court.

Following his arrest Barton came under the care of Tony Adams' Sporting Chance clinic, in a bid to deal with his problems with alcohol as part of his bail conditions.

He returned to action with Newcastle on 29th January and enjoyed an impressive end to the season in helping United up the Premier League table.

Barton was arrested along with his brother Andrew, who was also charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm, and Nadine Wilson, 27, who was charged with common assault and affray.

In another case in Manchester, he is due to stand trial accused of assaulting his former Manchester City team-mate Ousmane Dabo in a training ground incident in May last year that effectively ended his career with the club. He has pleaded not guilty.

Good news - another psychopath off the streets (anyone who saw that Inside Sport interview with him will know what I mean!)

Hopefully Newcastle will set an example and terminate his contract for gross misconduct. These players can't have it both ways. If they want the rewards that being a footballer brings, they have to take the obligations to be good role models as well.

what a fud.

as DavyMcL says - rip up his contract. he doesn't deserve a penny.

They'll never rip up his contract. They've been treating him with kid gloves, to the extent that they've been 'choppering him home from afternoon away games so he was indoors before his curfew.

He'll be out before the season starts.

good stuff. Wee neds like him need to know they cant go around doing whatever the feck they please.

Is wrong that i feel chuffed a "celebrity" (in the loosest definition) has got what was coming to him? If he was an ordinary man he would have been jailed a long time ago.

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

Its a this point my mind drifts to a potential Hearts midfield of Barton and Niel McFarlane. We missed a trick there. And to think we trusted George Burley. Hearts fans cheated again;)

Good news.

All we need now is Lee Bowyer and Robbie Savage locked up and I'll be a happy man.

Robbie Savage should be locked up for his daft "hairstyle" alone. Good news about Joey Barton. Schemie thug.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
Hopefully Newcastle will set an example and terminate his contract for gross misconduct. These players can't have it both ways. If they want the rewards that being a footballer brings, they have to take the obligations to be good role models as well.

I don't doubt that the PFA would stop that happening

troonjambo
I don't doubt that the PFA would stop that happening

being jailed is gross missconduct in anyones book the pfa have **** all to say

Gordon Taylor (PFA) seems to be suggesting that the sentence might be more severe because of Barton's er.. fame. Indeed. Meanwhile, Newcastle are currently keeping quiet. Both the PFA and NUFC should be condemning this gentleman for his inappropriate actions...before dumping him in a very deep hole with Mr Bowyer and quietly filling it in...

Rawrrrrrrr
Gordon Taylor (PFA) seems to be suggesting that the sentence might be more severe because of Barton's er.. fame. Indeed. Meanwhile, Newcastle are currently keeping quiet. Both the PFA and NUFC should be condemning this gentleman for his inappropriate actions...before dumping him in a very deep hole with Mr Bowyer and quietly filling it in...

NUFC are in a hard position though

Hes a valuable asset, if they do sack him they lose a lot of money and someone else, possibly a rival can pick him up for nothing in 2 months

Its also worth noting that due to the sentence, he may miss very little if any training depending on what date they return for pre season which may make it very hard for them to sack him

I'd imagine they are seeking legal advice and like any other employer if dismissal is there choice they will have to follow certain procedures to ensure it is legal action proof

Its all great saying he should be sacked but there is a due process to be followed

My gut is NUFC wont sack him especially since Keegan gave him a character witness

Hes a valuable asset, if they do sack him they lose a lot of money and someone else, possibly a rival can pick him up for nothing in 2 months

Its also worth noting that due to the sentence, he may miss very little if any training depending on what date they return for pre season which may make it very hard for them to sack him

I'd imagine they are seeking legal advice and like any other employer if dismissal is there choice they will have to follow certain procedures to ensure it is legal action proof

Its all great saying he should be sacked but there is a due process to be followed

My gut is NUFC wont sack him especially since Keegan gave him a character witness

Agreed.

I also would like to say that I feel it is good to see that a wayward football player is finally given a proper sentence for his crime. For far too long, football players have been seemingly given an easy ride from the judge due to their standing and occupation.

They need to know they are not above the law.

Is his brother not locked up for some minor misdemeanour as well (or am I thinking of some other players' brother)?

Rawrrrrrrr
Is his brother not locked up for some minor misdemeanour as well (or am I thinking of some other players' brother)?

If you call a racial axe murder a minor misdeameanor then yes he is :rolleyes:

If you call a racial axe murder a minor misdeameanor then yes he is :rolleyes:

Bad Genes

Miller Jambo 60
Bad Genes

Watch the soap in the showers wee man .

MA HA Gorgie social services.

UP YOU

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

A neds a ned no matter how much money you give it.

Goose Baxter
Agreed.

I also would like to say that I feel it is good to see that a wayward football player is finally given a proper sentence for his crime. For far too long, football players have been seemingly given an easy ride from the judge due to their standing and occupation.

They need to know they are not above the law.

Not all footballers get off that lightly mind, Lee Hughes was put away for a few years was he not? I know he done a hit and run mind you.

He was a cracking player before he become and arse and did what he did.

I am a bit on the young side, have any other players been banged up on the past?

Rawrrrrrrr
Not all footballers get off that lightly mind, Lee Hughes was put away for a few years was he not? I know he done a hit and run mind you.

I am a bit on the young side, have any other players been banged up on the past?

Some lower league player went down for armed robbery - which lead to a death possibly? - down south earlier in the year

Sure it was crawley he played for

I agree with this

Look what happend at chelsea, with adrian mutu.

He is now worth a wee bit of cash, after banging the goals in for fiorentina.

LUckily for chelsea they have money to burn.

Was there not an ex Everton player that was in jail for dealing? Think he was Welsh. Micky something?

Goose Baxter
Some lower league player went down for armed robbery - which lead to a death possibly? - down south earlier in the year

Was there not a Cardiff City player who got caught in euro 2000 with all the English mob? sure he was caught on the t.v and got banged up as well.

Denny Crane

Jan Molby once did a couple of months for drink-driving.

Jamie Lawrence (ex-Bradford) also did porridge early on in his career.

Duncan Ferguson for head-butting John McStay on the field of play.

Denny Crane
Was there not an ex Everton player that was in jail for dealing? Think he was Welsh. Micky something?

Mark Ward

Denny Crane
bad area to grow up more like

Even so, there have been other footballers from Barton's neck of the woods who have made a decent life for themselves despite the area they were born and/or raised in. Such as the following (although I don't think I'd fancy physiopherapy from Phil Boersma):-

Robert Atherton - poet

Alan Bleasdale - playwright

Aiden Byrne - youngest ever Michelin Awarded chef

Margi Clarke - actress

Paul Clarke - tenor

John Conteh - boxer

Stephen Graham - actor

Paul Hodkinson - boxer

Tony Maudsley - actor

Sharon Maughan - actress

Tricia Penrose - actress

Andrew Schofield - actor

and footballers too......

Leighton Baines - current Everton player, former Wigan Athletic player

Phil Boersma - former Liverpool player

Tommy Caton - former Manchester City, Arsenal, Oxford United player

Paul Cook - former Southport manager, former Wigan Athletic and Tranmere Rovers player

Terry McDermott - former Liverpool player, current Newcastle United first team coach

Dennis Mortimer - former Aston Villa player

Kevin Nolan - current Bolton Wanderers player

Jimmy Redfern - former Bolton Wanderers and Chester City player

Alan Stubbs - current Derby County player, former Everton Celtic and Bolton Wanderers player

Ryan Taylor - current Wigan Athletic player, former Tranmere Rovers player

Phil Thompson - former Liverpool player and deputy manager.

Mike Marsh - Liverpool and West Ham United player

Miller Jambo 60

e deserves all

chester copperpot

Whats the bet he end up at Cellick or Rangers the season after next. :rolleyes:

Rawrrrrrrr

Its worth noting that the lower league footballer I referred too being jailed, club was outraged as they had to pay him off or whilst he was on remand or something

Goose Baxter

Just goes to show you also that being a celeb can get you away with ****ing anything. Look at jinkie Pete Doherty, look at the things that he has always been nicked for. You trying to tell me your ordinary run off the mill punter would get away with things like this??

I find it shocking that a footballer / singer or what ever they call them selfs can do things like this and get a wee slag on the wrist sentence, lets face it Barton will be luck to serve half of it but if it was m or you who had done this we would prob end up with double the sentence!

Ibrahim Tall

Mickey Thomas of Wales and Man Utd went down for something like 10 years ago, can't remember if it was for dealing or if he played for Everton though.

Only a Game
Mickey Thomas of Wales and Man Utd went down for something like 10 years ago, can't remember if it was for dealing or if he played for Everton though.

He was counterfieting ?20 notes.

I dont think playing for Everton is punishable by imprisonment. ;);)

crazy_jambo_2006

ok, so he's on a pre season tour abroad +starts fighting with some teenager. Then he loses the rag with some young reserve lad at city + puts a cigarette lighter (?) in the lad's eye. This Barton is a complete muppet. Bowyer, Barton etc. Complete disgrace.

Denny Crane
He was counterfieting ?20 notes.

I dont think playing for Everton is punishable by imprisonment. ;);)

It should be!!! :arf:

They'll never rip up his contract. They've been treating him with kid gloves, to the extent that they've been 'choppering him home from afternoon away games so he was indoors before his curfew.

He'll be out before the season starts.

Also heard that. They flew him by helicopter to portsmouth the other week, on the day of the match because of his curfew.:mad::mad::sad:

Seymour M Hersh
Does that mean he wont be signing for us?

Maybe he will! Another "project" for Vlad!!;)

Archived