Does your child's School try to fleece you?

Better call Saul

Better call Saul

:mad:

EVERYTIME there is a school assembly or event at my children's school there is collection's at the front door & there also might be a child with a so called programme costing ?1, Of which these collections are not given to local charity's but added to the school fund's in order to help in the cost to maintain or buy new equipment,

AND NOW DUE TO AN EXTENTION BEING BUILT they want us now to adopt a brick for ?10 , Now surely I / We pay enough taxes out of my wage to ensure that a school can get kitted out without having to fleece us over and over.

Is this the same in all school's throughout or am I just a miserable tight fisted parent that would rather keep his money for the footie at the weekend.

Better call Saul
Your just a a terrible parent...

O Really , I hope you are joking as you are not very funny.

Legend Claws

Well if you would really rather keep your cash for the footy than improve your child's learning environement then maybe you need to consider what I said?

Better call Saul
Well if you would really rather keep your cash for the footy than improve your child's learning environement then maybe you need to consider what I said?

:mad:Och behave yourself :mad: Why coudn't you just give your point on my question without having to have a personnel pop FFS .

My question was perfectly reasonable the point I made about the footie was a simple light hearted end to my thread .

The Doctor

I doubt your experience is unique, but my kids school doesn't do stuff like that 'for school funds'.

The parent group is another matter though. They're always after cash, for any and everything and I, generally, have no idea what it's spent on. They did buy a 'trim track' for about 10K a couple of years ago, but the kids aren't allowed on it unsupervised, or at all outwith class PE lessons. Understand that this is just some wooden equipment in the playground, not high or dangerous or anything. The lack of use renders it a monumental waste of cash imo. They're getting no more from me!

Not trying to be harsh, but it does sound like you are being a bit tight fisted.

How often are these events at your kids school? Once a month?

So you pay an extra ?2, if you wish and you can buy a ?10 brick towards the new building. Doesn't sound that different to what many football clubs do.

In reality, it's less than a pint a month.

The Old Tolbooth
Not trying to be harsh, but it does sound like you are being a bit tight fisted.

So you pay an extra ?2, if you wish and you can buy a ?10 brick towards the new building. Doesn't sound that different to what many football clubs do.

But it's still a pint!!! :cussing:

Kidding :whistling:

Better call Saul

Fair point but I still think that this school in question or always after money christ my Kids came home with raffle books one week for some even to raise money and I have three kids ........maybe I am a tight fisted gitt :sad:;)

billyboy38

Scotty , you could buy 200 bricks with the bonus payment this month...;)

My two lads are going on school trips to France and Germany..

both costing ?500 each, one school just sent us a letter asking for another ?30 due to the poor euro......if ?500 is not enough to go by bus....lol

EVERYTIME there is a school assembly or event at my children's school there is collection's at the front door & there also might be a child with a so called programme costing ?1, Of which these collections are not given to local charity's but added to the school fund's in order to help in the cost to maintain or buy new equipment,

AND NOW DUE TO AN EXTENTION BEING BUILT they want us now to adopt a brick for ?10 , Now surely I / We pay enough taxes out of my wage to ensure that a school can get kitted out without having to fleece us over and over.

Is this the same in all school's throughout or am I just a miserable tight fisted parent that would rather keep his money for the footie at the weekend.

Nope, the school my daughter goes to never asks for money, apart from maybe a school trip, christ they have assembly every week.... i'd be skint if they expected money of us every week... how often is your childs assembly?

I P Knightley

I'm with you Scotty.

Over my working life so far, I've paid enough tax to give a full career's salary for at least one teacher. But now my kids are at school, I'm first of all asked for ?60 a year for the school building fund (maintenance and repairs, I think) per child, ffs, no sliding scale and then there's the dip-the-hand in the pockets events pretty much every month: christmas fair, quiz night, spring party, summer party, golf day, auction of promises, football club days, each of which has an entry levy followed by raffles, tombolas, barbecues, stalls and non-stop handing over of 50 pees and pound coins (plus ?2 for a beer).

They make you feel guilty if you don't attend and, although one or two are fun, I end up going to them all when I'd much rather be out golfing, gardening or standing round bus shelters spitting and picking my nose.

And then when you need something from the school - don't dare expect them to provide. My eldest has special educational needs. But they're not the sort that would get you on a Channel 5 show so nearly 3 years after diagnosis, there's been absolutely eff all done about it. Meanwhile, a kid at another school near us was given a similar but lesser diagnosis and within 3 weeks has been given all the support he needs.

Education, education, education - my fat, hairy, ar53!

Better call Saul
I'm with you Scotty.

Over my working life so far, I've paid enough tax to give a full career's salary for at least one teacher. But now my kids are at school, I'm first of all asked for ?60 a year for the school building fund (maintenance and repairs, I think) per child, ffs, no sliding scale and then there's the dip-the-hand in the pockets events pretty much every month: christmas fair, quiz night, spring party, summer party, golf day, auction of promises, football club days, each of which has an entry levy followed by raffles, tombolas, barbecues, stalls and non-stop handing over of 50 pees and pound coins (plus ?2 for a beer).

They make you feel guilty if you don't attend and, although one or two are fun, I end up going to them all when I'd much rather be out golfing, gardening or standing round bus shelters spitting and picking my nose.

And then when you need something from the school - don't dare expect them to provide. My eldest has special educational needs. But they're not the sort that would get you on a Channel 5 show so nearly 3 years after diagnosis, there's been absolutely eff all done about it. Meanwhile, a kid at another school near us was given a similar but lesser diagnosis and within 3 weeks has been given all the support he needs.

Exactly what am talking about.:mj_zivili:

Better call Saul
Nope, the school my daughter goes to never asks for money, apart from maybe a school trip, christ they have assembly every week.... i'd be skint if they expected money of us every week... how often is your childs assembly?

Sorry I did not mean the usual school assembly , I did mean all the little events that they have within the assemly hall .:smile:

Toxteth O'Grady

How many football clubs force you to pay Council Tax - part of which is to fund schools and education?

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I want a goverment that spends my tax money on schools & health and the lottery funds wars and arms.

Imagine that?

How many football clubs force you to pay Council Tax - part of which is to fund schools and education?

I was meaning the "you can pay ?10 a brick thing". I know lots have clubs have done it, Kilmarnock for one.

The fact is, the schools are not forcing you to pay it. You don't have to buy a brick, programme, give a small donation.

I'm with you Scotty.

What school's that?!!

Better call Saul
What school's that?!!

Well by the look of his post I would imagine his children are at the same school as my three (Williamston Livingston):cool:

I P Knightley
Well by the look of his post I would imagine his children are at the same school as my three (Williamston Livingston):cool:

Nah, it's down here in London-shire. Unfortunately schooling doesn't fall under Boris' regime or I'd hold out some hope...

I think that the ?60 is promoted as a 'voluntary' or 'recommended' donation (since they'll let you off if you're on benefits or whatever) but you're left in no doubt that if you don't pay, they'll sit your kids next to the smelly ones on free lunches and ensure that they get bullied.

And it's because of flippant statements like that, given for comedy purposes, that I think I better not reveal the full name and address of the school.

My eldest has special educational needs. But they're not the sort that would get you on a Channel 5 show so nearly 3 years after diagnosis, there's been absolutely eff all done about it. Meanwhile, a kid at another school near us was given a similar but lesser diagnosis and within 3 weeks has been given all the support he needs.

Isn't it time to change schools ?

chester copperpot

My sons school is exactly the same, always asking us to fund one thing or another. I dont actually mind seen as the Education system is free, however they do rip the mince out of less wealthy parents.

An example of this was he was sent him with a big smartie tube, and asked if he could fill it to fund something or other at the school.

We've already stuck in 12 quid and its not even half full, so I've called a halt at that.

I P Knightley
Isn't it time to change schools ?

Believe me - there isn't a week goes by that we don't review this.

Getting him (and his brothers) into another school that is convenient for drop-off & pick-up is nigh-on impossible. If a school is anything above "bearable" it's over-subscribed. Our school is on the doorstep and the time saved by not sending him on a half hour extra hike each way is put to good use at home, topping up what he's getting at school.

We're getting to the end of the second year with a new head after the previous one was sacked after a failed OfSTED report and are still hopeful of improvements. Probably unrealistic to be hopeful, but the alternatives are just not there. There's even an option of relocating to Scotland but my work would take me to the Weedge and I know nothing about the schools or even the geography (outside the city centre) of Glasgow. (And there's always the accent they'd pick up - I'd prefer them to sound "Lahhndahhn")

3 more years until secondary and we'll try him out for scholarships for the local private school; something I can't afford myself - not for 3 kids. His needs are that he's "Gifted & Talented" in Maths and Science - something that isn't seen as requiring urgent attention but, if he's like his Dad, his boredom with school will soon enough turn into trouble-making and may lead to under-performance.

Sorry, I'm ranting.

But you made me...

Ray Winstone

Its even worse at Public schools - even once you have left they send you letters asking for money to build things. My follks got asked for a 'donation' to help build a performing arts centre, even though I was about a month away from leaving!

At my old Primary school (which was not public) parents all gave donations for something to help "improve the school" - they built a 3grand trim track around the outside of the playing field which knobody ever used.

Believe me - there isn't a week goes by that we don't review this.

Getting him (and his brothers) into another school that is convenient for drop-off & pick-up is nigh-on impossible. If a school is anything above "bearable" it's over-subscribed. Our school is on the doorstep and the time saved by not sending him on a half hour extra hike each way is put to good use at home, topping up what he's getting at school.

We're getting to the end of the second year with a new head after the previous one was sacked after a failed OfSTED report and are still hopeful of improvements. Probably unrealistic to be hopeful, but the alternatives are just not there. There's even an option of relocating to Scotland but my work would take me to the Weedge and I know nothing about the schools or even the geography (outside the city centre) of Glasgow. (And there's always the accent they'd pick up - I'd prefer them to sound "Lahhndahhn")

3 more years until secondary and we'll try him out for scholarships for the local private school; something I can't afford myself - not for 3 kids. His needs are that he's "Gifted & Talented" in Maths and Science - something that isn't seen as requiring urgent attention but, if he's like his Dad, his boredom with school will soon enough turn into trouble-making and may lead to under-performance.

Sorry, I'm ranting.

But you made me...

...wish you the best of luck.

I'd foolishly thought picking and choosing schools in London was easy - but maybe that's just for high profile MPs :sad:

Over my working life so far, I've paid enough tax to give a full career's salary for at least one teacher.

Inland Revenue must be ****ing you pretty damn hard!

Craigieboy

I don't care about the pennies.

My main gripe is that they have religion in schools. Why?

You have kids who's parents are muslim, hindu, wickans, tree huggers, bretheren, born again christians, jehovahs witnesses, green party voters, atheists, pagans........

Why should they all have to sit and listen to some stuffy old prat going on about fairy stories & the baby jebus every year?

Bar the lot of it.

Walter Payton
I don't care about the pennies.

My main gripe is that they have religion in schools. Why?

You have kids who's parents are muslim, hindu, wickans, tree huggers, bretheren, born again christians, jehovahs witnesses, green party voters, atheists, pagans........

Why should they all have to sit and listen to some stuffy old prat going on about fairy stories & the baby jebus every year?

Bar the lot of it.

Easiest way to get rid of your gripe though would be to do some research- unless you've sent your kid to a catholic school they'll be exposed to teaching about all the major religions.

John Findlay
Easiest way to get rid of your gripe though would be to do some research- unless you've sent your kid to a catholic school they'll be exposed to teaching about all the major religions.

Funny all my secondary education was at a Catholic school and I was educated on Buddhism, Islam, Judaism, Protestantism as well as catholicism.

That was away back in the 1970s.

John

Craigieboy

I'm refering to the religious services that some do at easter, xmas, harvest etc, etc.

I know that they get RE, naturally.

Mac_fae_Gillie

My 2 both attend the same primary and the Uniform must be bought from 1 shop,although the shcool does sell old uniforms which it is given free.

but anyone who think getting a 6 and 10yr old girls to wear hand me downs is NUTS.

The Uniform for the 6yr is just a pinnefore and jumper.PE kit is non uniformed..

But the 10 yr old has 4 differnent outfits

1}basic skirt/blouse + jumper winter

2}polo tops(blue school crest) with same skirt summer

3}PE kit a red polo shirt (school crest)/shorts

4}Dress(more like large pinnefore) this is optional though but is allowed to be worn in summer and the girls all love them so we got pester pressure.

total cost is about ?230 a year for both girls.

All this if bought new is from the same shop,yet if you go to asda and buy the same without school crest etc its about 50% cheaper.

And the real crazy thing is the school gives you a token to take to the shop to get a 10% discount,like im gonna buy shool uniform if my kids didn't attend there.

Better call Saul
My 2 both attend the same primary and the Uniform must be bought from 1 shop,although the shcool does sell old uniforms which it is given free.

but anyone who think getting a 6 and 10yr old girls to wear hand me downs is NUTS.

The Uniform for the 6yr is just a pinnefore and jumper.PE kit is non uniformed..

But the 10 yr old has 4 differnent outfits

1}basic skirt/blouse + jumper winter

2}polo tops(blue school crest) with same skirt summer

3}PE kit a red polo shirt (school crest)/shorts

4}Dress(more like large pinnefore) this is optional though but is allowed to be worn in summer and the girls all love them so we got pester pressure.

total cost is about ?230 a year for both girls.

All this if bought new is from the same shop,yet if you go to asda and buy the same without school crest etc its about 50% cheaper.

And the real crazy thing is the school gives you a token to take to the shop to get a 10% discount,like im gonna buy shool uniform if my kids didn't attend there.

you sound like your getting fleeced :wacko:

PontiusPilate

It could be worse you could find it you've been shelling out for a kid that isn't yours!:eek:

I'm refering to the religious services that some do at easter, xmas, harvest etc, etc.

I know that they get RE, naturally.

If it's a secondary you don't get any of that.

You have a mass 4/5 times a year, but most folk leave before it starts.

I learnt more about Buddhism in my 6 years than I did about Catholicism.

My sons school is exactly the same, always asking us to fund one thing or another. I dont actually mind seen as the Education system is free, however they do rip the mince out of less wealthy parents.

An example of this was he was sent him with a big smartie tube, and asked if he could fill it to fund something or other at the school.

We've already stuck in 12 quid and its not even half full, so I've called a halt at that.

ahh the old smartie tube, i`ve got that one and my we one is only 3 "daddy can you put pennies in there for my nursery" what chance do you have

I P Knightley
...wish you the best of luck.

I'd foolishly thought picking and choosing schools in London was easy - but maybe that's just for high profile MPs :sad:

My middle one would be in the same year group as little Leo Blair and there's a possibility that we'd use the Oratory at secondary (the Hammersmith school chosen by the Islington-dwelling Bliars). I've seen Leo fairly close up and know tha my lad would have him in a fight. I doubt by then that Tony and Cherie will be using the state system, though.

Inland Revenue must be ****ing you pretty damn hard!

Not any more than most - 40% on top level of earnings.

I paid attention at school and ended up in a job that paid well. Not enough, though, to set up offshore tax avoidance schemes and reduce that to 20% or whatever the really rich pay.

Have ditched that now in favour of family life... and am left with this dilemma.

ahh the old smartie tube, i`ve got that one and my we one is only 3 "daddy can you put pennies in there for my nursery" what chance do you have

how does that work now with the hexagonal Smartie 'tubes'?

It is a sad idictment of how far our society has regressed from the idea of cradle to grave state support in things like education and health as envisaged after WWII.

It is disgusting that taxpayers are emotionally blackmailed into funding the educational institutions that their children attend simply because the state funding is no longer there.

Started in the 80's with Thatcher (or even the early 70's when she was Education Minister - Thatcher, Thatcher the milk snatcher...

A complete overhaul of the tax system is required. Get rid of the stealth taxes and simply be up front and transparent with income tax. Increase it where required.

I P Knightley
It is a sad idictment of how far our society has regressed from the idea of cradle to grave state support in things like education and health as envisaged after WWII.

It is disgusting that taxpayers are emotionally blackmailed into funding the educational institutions that their children attend simply because the state funding is no longer there.

Started in the 80's with Thatcher (or even the early 70's when she was Education Minister - Thatcher, Thatcher the milk snatcher...

A complete overhaul of the tax system is required. Get rid of the stealth taxes and simply be up front and transparent with income tax. Increase it where required.

I suspect, Boris, that your political allegiance and mine are polar opposites (not that mine's a strong allegiance - it's more 'who do I mistrust least) but I would march arm-in-arm with you on this particular cause.

I suspect, Boris, that your political allegiance and mine are polar opposites (not that mine's a strong allegiance - it's more 'who do I mistrust least) but I would march arm-in-arm with you on this particular cause.

Amen Brother.

Income tax is such a taboo subject in this country and has been since the mid-late 80's when the Tories were able to brow-beat Labour with it. Now the idea of high income tax is an anathema but the debate needs to move back to this, imho.

I'd happily pay higher income tax if the money was going to the right things (health, education etc) and even more so if those services were being run efficiently and accountably, not farmed out private/public partnerships.

I may have less money each month but the stealth taxes would be gone so the cost of items in the shops should in theory be less. This is where business needs to have a look at itself.

Amen Brother.

Income tax is such a taboo subject in this country and has been since the mid-late 80's when the Tories were able to brow-beat Labour with it. Now the idea of high income tax is an anathema but the debate needs to move back to this, imho.

I'd happily pay higher income tax if the money was going to the right things (health, education etc) and even more so if those services were being run efficiently and accountably, not farmed out private/public partnerships.

I may have less money each month but the stealth taxes would be gone so the cost of items in the shops should in theory be less. This is where business needs to have a look at itself.

I agree as well.

The problem is, the UK government will just not let it happen for a number of reasons.

I P Knightley
I agree as well.

The problem is, the UK government will just not let it happen for a number of reasons.

J-H-C!!

Are we forming a cross-party working committee here or something?

J-H-C!!

Are we forming a cross-party working committee here or something?

Just remember who posted it first.

Boris. The voice of reason...:confused:;):P

My daughter recently went on a history trip. I asked her a day before was there a cost - ?15 !! But she said hardly anyone paid.

On a different note , when my kids were at primary school neither of them were allowed to go swimming. When we asked why we were told it was because they could both already swim. The school's position was that they only had a responsibility to ensure that the pupils could swim. So the winners were the kids of parents who didn't bother their @rses.

On a lighter note my neighbour's son won a scholarship to a fee paying school.

The son came home one day with a letter outlining the school trip for the summer. The son asked dad if he could go. Dad agreed without looking at the letter - a big mistake. It turned out to be for a safari to Kenya which was gonna cost him ?1100.:)

Archived