Pars swoop for former Hearts legend

Smack

Commander Harris

"the international man of mystery" as Scott Wilson used to introduce him :D

what a cracker against Celtic in the last minute. :)

Isn't it strange that for years we have produced excellent centre backs, hunners of them, yet we have had such a poor batch of full backs? Very few over the last twenty years or so were anywhere near as good as the central defenders.

christhejambo

Think donkey had to be scraped off the roof of the stadium after that- Peter Martin-esque

rudi must stay

brilliant memories eh. You can get away with only scoring one goal though if you score it like that

Buffalo Bill

He was terrible, but for one moment, he lived the dream.

And never forget that Celtic LOST the league in Gorgie.

Buffalo Bill

Craig Herbertson

Peter Oliver. Good back. Only there about a week though

Isn't it strange that for years we have produced excellent centre backs, hunners of them, yet we have had such a poor batch of full backs? Very few over the last twenty years or so were anywhere near as good as the central defenders.

I thought Tosh McKinley was the mutts nutts when he played. Mclaren also started off playing at right back before he moved into the middle.

However, I remember being vastly disappointed in Hugh Burns as I thought he was the answer to our right back problems at the time - that being a certain Walter "Zico" Kidd....

Snake Plissken

Taking it from 1990...

Centre Backs that became Scottish Internationals at Hearts (6)

Dave McPherson

Craig Levein

Alan McLaren

David Weir

Andy Webster

Steven Pressley

Full Backs that became Scottish Internationals (3)

Robbie Neilson

Gary Naysmith

Tosh McKinlay (though I think he got his first cap as a Celtic player)

Can't think if I've missed anyone, though you could argue that Gary Locke (started out a right back) and Stephen Frail may well have been internationals had it not been for injury problems.

Also Lee Wallace and Christophe Berra must have a good chance of joining that list.

I thought Tosh McKinley was the mutts nutts when he played. Mclaren also started off playing at right back before he moved into the middle.

However, I remember being vastly disappointed in Hugh Burns as I thought he was the answer to our right back problems at the time - that being a certain Walter "Zico" Kidd....

I would agree. McKinlay still would be my first choice Hearts XI left back.

Taking it from 1990...

Centre Backs that became Scottish Internationals at Hearts (6)

Dave McPherson

Craig Levein

Alan McLaren

David Weir

Andy Webster

Steven Pressley

Full Backs that became Scottish Internationals (3)

Robbie Neilson

Gary Naysmith

Tosh McKinlay (though I think he got his first cap as a Celtic player)

Can't think if I've missed anyone, though you could argue that Gary Locke (started out a right back) and Stephen Frail may well have been internationals had it not been for injury problems.

Also Lee Wallace and Christophe Berra must have a good chance of joining that list.

Good effort! I would add that we have had plenty of decent non Scots centre backs. Also adding Fyssas at left back.

I would agree. McKinlay still would be my first choice Hearts XI left back.

One of my favourite all-time players.

We were coming back from a family holiday in America that day. When we got back to Manchester Airport I had a scan of the sports pages and saw that Hearts had won with a last minute goal form McCann.

Took me a couple of minutes to work out who the hell McCann was!

Then I just kinda laughed to myself and wished I had been there. Got home and saw the goal and was gutted I wasn't there!

Peter Oliver. Arthur Mann. And Alan Mclaren are the best backs I've witnessed playing for Hearts since 1967 and all three were something special IMHO. However they've all had there day.

Peter Oliver. Arthur Mann. And Alan Mclaren are the best backs I've witnessed playing for Hearts since 1967 and all three were something special IMHO. However they've all had there day.

Alan McLaren was a make shift right back. A far better centre half.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

That was a great defence of the early 70s - Peter Oliver and Davie Clunie, Eddie Thompson and Alan Anderson in the centre and Cruikie in goals. Two quality full-backs there.

Mahe, Oliver, Fyssas, McKinlay - all left backs. It's right back that has been our problem position over the years. Still is IMHO.

Perth2Paisley
Taking it from 1990...

I fear Wallace will not make the grade. Berra will.

I fear Wallace will not make the grade. Berra will.

Gie Wallace a break FFS, how old is he? I think he looks a pretty decent prospect. If it wasn't for Vlad justifying his signing then Jose Goncalves would have been punted and Wallace would have been given a decent run (oh sorry, forgot Frail had full control since January). Always looks like one of Scotland's best at U21 level.

He's not scottish and we can't claim to have produced him but Alan Maybury's form for the season and a half to two seasons before he left got him into a decent RoI team.

Got to agree that Naysmith, McKinlay, Takis, possibly Wallace and Maybury is not a good run as far as full backs go.

Archived