Has anyone here left a white-collar job for a blue-collar job?

Ragnar

I'm considering leaving the office environment for a manual labour based job.

This is probably just me, but generally, I get the feeling that blue-collar jobs attract the neds and wasters of society.

Obviously there are bellends and wasters in the office-environment too, but I get the impression they're much more common in a blue-collar setting.

Anyone had any experience on both sides? Is my above assumption correct?

Note: I'm not sure if the term 'white/blue collar' is an Americanism. If so, I apologise to any JKB members who might be offended (I'm aware Americanisms are included in the 'Seethe' thread).

Note: I'm not sure if the term 'white/blue collar' is an Americanism. If so, I apologise to any JKB members who might be offended (I'm aware Americanisms are included in the 'Seethe' thread).

Skilfully sidestepping the rest of your post ( :) ), I can confirm 'blue/white collar' is an Americanism. I doubt you'll offend anyone (with this part, at least), but there's a fair chance a lot of people won't actually know what it means.

I can see why you might think people may be offended with you using "americanisms" as the rest of your post was completely reasonable. :cornette:

tbf, there's plenty of neddy arseholes in offices too. they're still grunts, but just in an office environment. i guess it shows if you shave a chimp, stick him in a shirt out of the officer's club and stick him in the mail room of a real office you can't tell the difference.

Good luck on the building site. Be sure and get a rabies shot first though, and take something shiny to distract the oiks lest they turn on you when you say you always found Wittgenstein to be a little trite.

I can see why you might think people may be offended with you using "americanisms" as the rest of your post was completely reasonable. :cornette:

Apologies if you were offended Scott.

I was simply saying I get the impression that blue-collar jobs tend to have more of an appeal to neds etc.

Purely my opinion based on my limited knowledge of both fields. So was hoping someone with experience in both settings could clarify?

Obviously quite a big life decision, so want to make sure I'm choosing the best option.

I used to work on a building site, now I do manual labour type jobs in an office environment. The rasper to good guy ratio is much higher among office types

Both fields are massive and it's difficult to say you would enjoy all manual work more than all office based work.

I predominately work in an office (Environmental Consultant) and I enjoy the balance of office and site work.

However given the choice I would rather be a skilled tradesman, joiner, electrician or plumber than work in a call centre.

On the other hand I would rather do data entry than work in a fish processing plant.

What I am getting at is find something you enjoy and go for it. Don't get hung up on office/ manual work environments.

Having worked in bars that catered for both, I would say that there is a higher propensity for aggressive behaviour among the blue collar raspers.

However, I would also say there's a greater chance of being demeaned and condescended by a white collar rasper, which are more common than the blue collar.

So I'd say it evens itself out in the end.

Not going to lie that is a pretty offensive post :lol:

Neds and wasters don't last long on site. If you don't pull your weight you get let go pretty quick.

I work for a fairly big construction company and don't know anyone who I'd consider a waster.

Not going to lie that is a pretty offensive post :lol:

Neds and wasters don't last long on site. If you don't pull your weight you get let go pretty quick.

I work for a fairly big construction company and don't know anyone who I'd consider a waster.

Very much this. I've worked on sites for most of the major building companies and while there's been some arseholes in the most part everybody is just there to do their bit and no neds or wasters.

Guest C00l K1d

Since my last post was deleted i'll second what someone else said.

Don't ******* bother trying to become a labourer with that attitude.

I used to work on building sites and yes, there's a massive working class vibe on the sites but I wouldn't tar them all with the same brush. Working on a building site is quite fun sometimes and if you get along with the guys and have a laugh it can be a pretty good environment to work in.

In regards to the job itself, the pay isn't great for labourers so you'd have to look at what you make now and ask how good it is. Semi skilled labourers get a good bit more.

Another factor to consider is the time of year. It's all well and good now wishing you had an outdoor job when you see the sun shining and temperatures at a high, but can you handle being on a building site at half 7 on a freezing, dark winters morning lugging plaster board about? It's times like that you may wish you stuck with the office.

Guest C00l K1d

I used to work on building sites and yes, there's a massive working class vibe on the sites but I wouldn't tar them all with the same brush. Working on a building site is quite fun sometimes and if you get along with the guys and have a laugh it can be a pretty good environment to work in.

In regards to the job itself, the pay isn't great for labourers so you'd have to look at what you make now and ask how good it is. Semi skilled labourers get a good bit more.

Another factor to consider is the time of year. It's all well and good now wishing you had an outdoor job when you see the sun shining and temperatures at a high, but can you handle being on a building site at half 7 on a freezing, dark winters morning lugging plaster board about? It's times like that you may wish you stuck with the office.

Still not sure how you can add neds and wasters to get working class.

Sure a lot of the people working on building sites don't have university degrees etc but a good majority of them are grafters and will give you 100%.

I suppose you could say I'm a "skilled labourer" and we often get crews in to do the heavier work. The ones who don't pull their weight simply don't get offered any more shifts. The same goes for folk like me though.

Just because you don't have a university education doesn't mean you're a ned or a waster ffs.

BoJack Horseman

Why's everyone getting offended? He's saying all neds are labourers, not that all labourers are neds.

Just because you don't have a university education doesn't mean you're a ned or a waster ffs.

:lol:

Where has anyone said this?

You seem to be missing the point completely mate.

Apologies to the easily-offended brigade, but all I'm trying to ask is if anyone has made the transition from white-collar to blue-collar, what they preferred and the sort of people they worked with.

I get the impression that many neds go into the manual-labour field and that's something I was simply seeking clarification on.

edit: cheers to those who gave serious replies.

Still not sure how you can add neds and wasters to get working class.

Sure a lot of the people working on building sites don't have university degrees etc but a good majority of them are grafters and will give you 100%.

I suppose you could say I'm a "skilled labourer" and we often get crews in to do the heavier work. The ones who don't pull their weight simply don't get offered any more shifts. The same goes for folk like me though.

I'm not saying they are but obviously Ragnar has made a comment in poor taste by branding all workies as neds. I'm from a massively working class background and I'm one of few males in my family who didn't go and get a trade. Like I said I did work on the sites though as a labourer for a while and surprisingly enjoyed it. I left school at 15 and never really achieved anything but I wouldn't want to be branded as a ned or scum of any kind.

Guest C00l K1d

Apologies to the easily-offended brigade, but all I'm trying to ask is if anyone has made the transition from white-collar to blue-collar, what they preferred and the sort of people they worked with.

I get the impression that many neds go into the manual-labour field and that's something I was simply seeking clarification on.

You're gonna have to define what you think is a ned.

Because the 'neds' i knew from school generally don't work at all.

Most guys on site have spent a good few years in college, some at Uni. Have good knowledge and skills and earn bloody good money. Ive worked all over the country on massive jobs and met some great guys.

Ive also done some work in offices and the atmosphere & chat is chronic.

Anyway, if someone is out working and earning his own cash, he ceases to be a NED.

I worked in an engineers office for 3 years from 16 and hand on heart, the office was full of knob heads that thought they were something. There were probably about half a dozen decent folk out of 20 odd. I then moved into retail and the people I came across in the next 13 years varied wildly but at large were much better than those in offices. Many that go to work in a shirt and tie to sit at a desk seem think they're way above those that do a manual graft. It's quite laughable really. I don't work in an office or in retail anymore, but alongside people who are more like the retail crowd.

You're gonna have to define what you think is a ned.

Because the 'neds' i knew from school generally don't work at all.

Non

Educated

Delinquent

That's what Ragner means. You're misled if you think people that fall into the above acronym work on building sites. As already been pointed out, a NED doesn't get a job anywhere.

Non

Educated

Delinquent

That's what Ragner means. You're misled if you think people that fall into the above acronym work on building sites. As already been pointed out, a NED doesn't get a job anywhere.

that's what it meant. by that standard a gay person and a bundle of sticks are interchangeable.

that's what it meant. by that standard a gay person and a bundle of sticks are interchangeable.

The meaning of its never changed, and even those who didn't understand the acronym meant it in the correct way even if they didn't realise. By definition a NED is incapable of contributing to society.

A homosexual, even when called a ****** could never ever be confused with bits of dead tree.

The meaning of its never changed, and even those who didn't understand the acronym meant it in the correct way even if they didn't realise. By definition a NED is incapable of contributing to society.

A homosexual, even when called a ****** could never ever be confused with bits of dead tree.

Ok Left school and started as a trainee accountant(worked in office during day and went to nightschool)Office was full of twats left and got an apprenticeship with NCB where there were also twats but mostly decent hardworking guys whose lives depended on each other.I,ve been working in Telecommunications since 1989 where there is a highly educated and highly paid workforce.

So I,m glad I left the office.

Obviously quite a big life decision, so want to make sure I'm choosing the best option.

Well you're definitely asking the right people.

Follow your dreams Ragnar of wearing a blue collar.

BoJack Horseman

Come on guys, let's be serious here. It's abundantly clear that all of those knobs that you went to school with, the ones that disrupted the classes, the ones that were cheeky to the teachers, the ones that never tried hard at their exams, gave the bare minimum, spent half their days in detention, never made it above Foundation level in anything, left school as soon as they were legally able to, probably before. Those guys, if they're working today, are all in jobs that requires them to use their muscle rather than their brain.

Just because you've also gone down that route of work, by choice, does not mean that you are being classed as one in the same.

The meaning has changed because there will be neds who are educated. Since you've provided no definition i can't see how you can say by definition they are incapable, and even if you had it's patently untrue. You may not appreciate what some neds have produced for our culture but it's nonsense to say they're incapable of contributing.

Come on guys, let's be serious here. It's abundantly clear that all of those knobs that you went to school with, the ones that disrupted the classes, the ones that were cheeky to the teachers, the ones that never tried hard at their exams, gave the bare minimum, spent half their days in detention, never made it above Foundation level in anything, left school as soon as they were legally able to, probably before. Those guys, if they're working today, are all in jobs that requires them to use their muscle rather than their brain.

Just because you've also gone down that route of work, by choice, does not mean that you are being classed as one in the same.

I can think of lots of people that fully meet the descriptors in bold (but may have been lucky in having a decent memory so managed to pass Highers) that ended up in jobs that require them to use their brain.

BoJack Horseman

I can think of lots of people that fully meet the descriptors in bold (but may have been lucky in having a decent memory so managed to pass Highers) that ended up in jobs that require them to use their brain.

Maybe you're right. Thankfully I don't associate with such riff-raff so I can't really say either way. But any time I walk past some roadworks, there's at least 5 guys with tribal tattoos.

I'm considering leaving the office environment for a manual labour based job.

This is probably just me, but generally, I get the feeling that blue-collar jobs attract the neds and wasters of society.

Obviously there are bellends and wasters in the office-environment too, but I get the impression they're much more common in a blue-collar setting.

Anyone had any experience on both sides? Is my above assumption correct?

Anyone who is out there and earning a living is hardly a "waster".

You could be right about Ned though, because if you walk into a manual labour with that snobby and stuck up attitude then your almost certainly heading for a smack in the jaw.

BoJack Horseman

Anyone who is out there and earning a living is hardly a "waster".

You could be right about Ned though, because if you walk into a manual labour with that snobby and stuck up attitude then your almost certainly heading for a smack in the jaw.

You can be a waster and still hold down a job.

the true neds and wasters of the world are permanently on the dole, so I don't think you have much to worry about in either work environment

BoJack Horseman

the true neds and wasters of the world are permanently on the dole, so I don't think you have much to worry about in either work environment

Yep, totally. Absolutely all wasters are on the dole, and non of them have found work in the manual labour sector.

I own a construction business. The guys that work for me and the guys we work alongside are generally good sorts. For that reason I'm not sure you'd fit in. Stick to the office.

The meaning has changed because there will be neds who are educated. Since you've provided no definition i can't see how you can say by definition they are incapable, and even if you had it's patently untrue. You may not appreciate what some neds have produced for our culture but it's nonsense to say they're incapable of contributing.

If you don't understand the definition I provided then there's no point in continuing discussion with you. You're way off topic now and trolling. Again.

If you don't understand the definition I provided then there's no point in continuing discussion with you. You're way off topic now and trolling. Again.

You said the meaning of it never changed. It did. it meant one thing and now it means something else. You can't define something now based on its etymology.

I'm not off topic, because the topic is what the word means and you're saying it means what it meant. Which it doesnt. If you call that trolling then clearly you've got another definition of that word too.

Ragnar, what is it that you do in your office, what's your job title? The other thing is do you have any transferable skills that might help in your career change?

Archived