Munich air disaster minute silence

Samster

Do Man City fans really hate Man U so much they couldn't put their differences aside for a solitary minute??

Manchester United say they intend to stick with their plans to hold a minute's silence to mark the 50th anniversary of the Munich air disaster.

The club had been asked by Manchester City's supporters' club to have a minute's applause before their home Premier League game on 10 February.

It feared that the occasion could be marred by disrespectful visiting fans.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/7201817.stm

Selkirk_Jambo

Man Utd are setting up City in the exact same way that the GFA set us up for the Pope bollox.

Just an attempt to make their neighbour look bad in front of the world.

Man Utd are setting up City in the exact same way that the GFA set us up for the Pope bollox.

Bull. Munich is about football. The pope had **** all to do with it. Man U had be as well doing it in private when you hear some of the songs being sung about the disaster.:mad:

Selkirk_Jambo

I agree about the pope having sod all to do with football but thats beside the point.

Their supposed to be honouring the dead of Munich and I cant see how having a silence that they know is going to be disturbed does that.

A minutes applause seems more appropriate

I agree about the pope having sod all to do with football but thats beside the point.

Their supposed to be honouring the dead of Munich and I cant see how having a silence that they know is going to be disturbed does that.

A minutes applause seems more appropriate

Its a sad day when you shouldnt commemorate a tradgic event in fear of it being spoiled.

Lets not remember the dead from WW1&2 because some present day neo-nazis may turn up and spoil it.

I think not!

The Munich disaster was predominately a United tragedy obviously but, the whole of Manchester was affected and at the time United and City fans were joined in grief.

I still see that being the case now!

Had it been the Mickey Mousers or even dirty Leeds they were playing, then I could see a problem.

Manchester United v Leeds...that'll be right!

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I think 99% of the Man City fans will respect the silence. After all one of their own players also died in the disaster.

Manchester United "fans" disrupted the minute's silence to Don Revie.

Bad apples in every support.

Understandable considering at least 2 of his clubs! :P

They did indeed WK. So when Busby popped his clogs the Leeds fans sung one Don Revie throughout minutes silence at Blackburn. Short memories those Rags. :cool:

They did indeed WK. So when Busby popped his clogs the Leeds fans sung one Don Revie throughout minutes silence at Blackburn. Short memories those Rags. :cool:

Did the Leeds players not turn there backs on the fans during a silence?

Its a sad day when you shouldnt commemorate a tradgic event in fear of it being spoiled.

Lets not remember the dead from WW1&2 because some present day neo-nazis may turn up and spoil it.

I think not!

I agree with your sentiments, but yore wrong when it comes to practicailties.

If someone planted a flower bed as a memorial, and it was ripped up by vandals 10 times, then they would look at other equally fitting ways of remembering whatever it was they wee commemorating, that couldnt be spoilt as easily by vandals - like a marble statue - instead of replanting the garden for the 11th time.

If you can predict something spoiling a tribute, before you plan the tribute then it makes sense to revise your plans to ensure it doesn't happen.

The Man City officials are trying to do it, but it seems that Man Utd are going to take the moral highground and cut off their nose to spite their face by allowing a memorial with a high likelyhood of disruption to go ahead.

It's all very well saying that they shouldn't have to change to a minutes applause. Everyone agrees with that but it doesn't address the issue.

We have an element within society who will misbehave, and they have traditionally attached themselves to football clubs. All the clubs need to help each other and work together to silence these idiots and get rid of them.

But if teams are more interested in making each other look bad then the problem will not be resolved.

I don't thinks that's right? I remember Leeds fans chanting 'One Don Revie' during Matt Busby's minute silence, I think they said it was because Man U didn't have one for Revie when he died?

No matter, Man City fans should have a bit of respect and keep quiet. But there will be idiots who don't.

I don't thinks that's right? I remember Leeds fans chanting 'One Don Revie' during Matt Busby's minute silence, I think they said it was because Man U didn't have one for Revie when he died?

No matter, Man City fans should have a bit of respect and keep quiet. But there will be idiots who don't.

They didn't have one as the idiots disrupted it.

Got this from a City site.Interesting reading.

The derby match on Feb 10th, as we now know, will be used by Manchester United to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Munich air crash. This is because it is your nearest home game to the actual anniversary itself. There are some concerns that the proposed minute's silence will not be honoured by City fans and the overwhelming majority of us are horrified by that prospect. Most of us are decent people who love a bit of banter but know where to draw the line.

I know that the tragedy affected everyone in Manchester at the time and it was fairly common for fans to visit Old Trafford and Maine Road on consecutive weeks, regardless of their main allegiance. My grandfather was a red but often went to Maine Road. One of the fans who died was a great friend of my uncle's so it hit my family directly.

Those were different times and we all know that things have not changed wholly for the better in the world of football over the intervening 50 years.

However, even decent people like me (and the majority on here) are getting a bit fed up with the sanctimonious rubbish coming out of your club.

I sincerely hope we will respect the dead but how have your club done that over the years? Let me give you a few examples.

Many of the players who died had club houses and their families were apparently turfed out of those houses after a decent interval. Johnny Berry survived the crash but was so badly affected that he didn't play again and was also thrown out of his club-owned house a year later. Jackie Blanchflower's daughter (he survived) summed up the feeling of the families when she supposedly said "Were the ones that died the ones that got away with it?"

In 1997, the survivors got together to formulate a plan to ask the club for some compensation, via a benefit game. This went ahead in August 1998 and each family got ?47,000. Eric Cantona came over for the game and is believed to have charged over ?90,000 travel and accomodation expenses for his entourage. So Cantona, presumably not a poor man, got TWICE as much out of it as each of the families.

The club charges people to see an exhibition which made nearly ?2m in 2006 and supposedly none of the money goes to the families. They have sold a vast quantity of merchandise over the years and apparently not a single penny has gone to the families.

Ray Wood, the goalkeeper at the time of the disaster said "They received massive international support following the disaster. But they didn't treat people properly then, did nothing for us all those years, and they're still making money out of it directly now."

I hope to god that things go well on the day and it is remembered both for the football and the dignity of the event. But your club has been disrespecting those who died virtually every day for the last 50 years. That's more than 25 million minutes. Direct your anger at them.

They didn't have one as the idiots disrupted it.

I honestly don't think they did. He died the same day as the Liverpool v Arsenal title decider in 1989, so tehre wouldn't have been one until at least the next season. I just think it was forgotten and the Leeds fans didn't like it, understandably I suppose.

No claiming any great love for Man U fans, they've sang plenty of songs about Hillsborough and Heysel.

badly drawn boy

Diego i think by and large the City fans will show respect but by the law of averages , there may be a small minority that grab the headlines

The majority are then going to be castigated as Utd take the moral high ground , made worse by the suspicion City fans have in the way Utd relate themselves to the whole episode

Diego i think by and large the City fans will show respect but by the law of averages , there may be a small minority that grab the headlines

The majority are then going to be castigated as Utd take the moral high ground , made worse by the suspicion City fans have in the way Utd relate themselves to the whole episode

I don't disagree with that. It would be nice to think everyone was capable of putting their differences aside for 60 seconds, but that's no the way of the world.

Romanov Stole My Pension

I definately think that a minute of silence is far more respectful, but in these circumstances I'd definately say that a minute of clapping is more appropriate for a derby.

Need to agree thats exactly what it looks like from where I am.

What utter nonsense. Do you honestly think the directors and chairmen at Man Utd are sitting around right now saying "Right, what can we do to make Man City fans look bad?" "Ah the old desecrate the minutes silence one - perfect!". That is paranoia of the highest order.

They've already said, a minutes applause is not the best way to remember a tragedy which killed 23 people. I tend to agree.

I think the majority of you are jumping the gun here. Lets wait and see if the silence is upheld before you all start taking the moral high ground!

I tend to believe it'll be respected by all and sundry connected with Manchester, whatever colour you're wearing.

Might be setting myself up for a fall but we'll find out soon enough.

What utter nonsense. Do you honestly think the directors and chairmen at Man Utd are sitting around right now saying "Right, what can we do to make Man City fans look bad?" "Ah the old desecrate the minutes silence one - perfect!". That is paranoia of the highest order.

They've already said, a minutes applause is not the best way to remember a tragedy which killed 23 people. I tend to agree.

To be fair though it is better than having a benefit game where Cantona makes more money than anybody else.

Exactly! Anything to get it up United though.

Did the Leeds players not turn there backs on the fans during a silence?

When Leeds were playing Blackburn Rovers, that was the game they started singing 'There is only 1 Don Revie'. Some of the Leeds players turned around to the Leeds fans asking them to turn it down but they kept on singing.

Having lived in Manchester, I doubt very much that all City fans will keep silent during the minute, despite the fact that Matt Busby survived the aircrash and City goalkeeping great Frank Swift died in it as he was a journalist reporting the game for the Manchester Evening News.

A few years ago in a Manchester derby, the Utd fans started singing 'City's going down with a Georgian (Kinkladze) on the wing' to which the City fans started singing 'City's going down like a Munich aeroplane'.

i know a city fan who finds this subject fair game, and id be surprised if the minutes silence isnt completely wrecked by the city fans

listen out for

whos that dying on the runway

whos that dying in the snow

its busby and his boys

making all the forking noise

cause they couldnae get the aeroplane to go

badly drawn boy
i know a city fan who finds this subject fair game, and id be surprised if the minutes silence isnt completely wrecked by the city fans

listen out for

its busby and his boys

Don't see it being completely wrecked Gfor and i don't see the need to illustrate the words of the aforementioned ditty

...Many of the players who died had club houses and their families were apparently turfed out of those houses after a decent interval. Johnny Berry survived the crash but was so badly affected that he didn't play again and was also thrown out of his club-owned house a year later. Jackie Blanchflower's daughter (he survived) summed up the feeling of the families when she supposedly said "Were the ones that died the ones that got away with it?"

In 1997, the survivors got together to formulate a plan to ask the club for some compensation, via a benefit game. This went ahead in August 1998 and each family got ?47,000. Eric Cantona came over for the game and is believed to have charged over ?90,000 travel and accomodation expenses for his entourage. So Cantona, presumably not a poor man, got TWICE as much out of it as each of the families.

The club charges people to see an exhibition which made nearly ?2m in 2006 and supposedly none of the money goes to the families. They have sold a vast quantity of merchandise over the years and apparently not a single penny has gone to the families.

Ray Wood, the goalkeeper at the time of the disaster said "They received massive international support following the disaster. But they didn't treat people properly then, did nothing for us all those years, and they're still making money out of it directly now."...

If true, this is quite shocking.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

listen out for

its busby and his boys

I heard someone singing that at Tynie once.

I was baffled.

I agree with your sentiments, but yore wrong when it comes to practicailties.

If someone planted a flower bed as a memorial, and it was ripped up by vandals 10 times, then they would look at other equally fitting ways of remembering whatever it was they wee commemorating, that couldnt be spoilt as easily by vandals - like a marble statue - instead of replanting the garden for the 11th time.

If you can predict something spoiling a tribute, before you plan the tribute then it makes sense to revise your plans to ensure it doesn't happen.

The Man City officials are trying to do it, but it seems that Man Utd are going to take the moral highground and cut off their nose to spite their face by allowing a memorial with a high likelyhood of disruption to go ahead.

It's all very well saying that they shouldn't have to change to a minutes applause. Everyone agrees with that but it doesn't address the issue.

We have an element within society who will misbehave, and they have traditionally attached themselves to football clubs. All the clubs need to help each other and work together to silence these idiots and get rid of them.

But if teams are more interested in making each other look bad then the problem will not be resolved.

Good post.

Archived