Great new idea for the Echodrome

alyp

Apologies if this has already been posted as it came out in July,...

I came across the following article which I think the Hobos could benefit from. I will send it to Mr Petrie for his consideration.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28484536

A struggling Korean baseball team have invented a novel way to improve atmosphere at their matches - by bringing in a crowd of robot fans.

Hanwha Eagles supporters not able to get to the stadium can control the robot over the internet.

The bots can cheer, chant and perform a Mexican wave - but presumably not invade the pitch.

One expert said giving more fans a chance to "attend" was important for professional clubs.

This was especially the case with top football teams, Matt Cutler, editor of SportBusiness International, told the BBC.

"If you look at all the big clubs, you can't just get a season ticket - you have to sit on a waiting list.

"There is also potential monetisation. You can charge, even if it's a small amount, to give fans a different kind of viewpoint."

Football fan John Hemmingham, who runs the famous England supporters brass band, saw the funny side.

"What happens if a robotic fan misbehaves?" he joked.

"Gets aggressive, abusive, spills a drink... I can see it being fraught with danger. What if it sits in the wrong section? A robotic hooligan!"

Chickens

It is not easy being a Hanwha Eagles fan. In the past five years, they have suffered more than 400 losses - so many that fans of the team are regarded with a degree of sympathy, and have earned the nickname Buddhist Saints.

Apologies if this has already been posted as it came out in July,...

I came across the following article which I think the Hobos could benefit from. I will send it to Mr Petrie for his consideration.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28484536

A struggling Korean baseball team have invented a novel way to improve atmosphere at their matches - by bringing in a crowd of robot fans.

Hanwha Eagles supporters not able to get to the stadium can control the robot over the internet.

The bots can cheer, chant and perform a Mexican wave - but presumably not invade the pitch.

One expert said giving more fans a chance to "attend" was important for professional clubs.

This was especially the case with top football teams, Matt Cutler, editor of SportBusiness International, told the BBC.

"If you look at all the big clubs, you can't just get a season ticket - you have to sit on a waiting list.

"There is also potential monetisation. You can charge, even if it's a small amount, to give fans a different kind of viewpoint."

Football fan John Hemmingham, who runs the famous England supporters brass band, saw the funny side.

"What happens if a robotic fan misbehaves?" he joked.

"Gets aggressive, abusive, spills a drink... I can see it being fraught with danger. What if it sits in the wrong section? A robotic hooligan!"

Chickens

It is not easy being a Hanwha Eagles fan. In the past five years, they have suffered more than 400 losses - so many that fans of the team are regarded with a degree of sympathy, and have earned the nickname Buddhist Saints.

400 losses in 5 years??? That's 80 games per year!

No wonder they keep losing - they're knackered!!

Archived