Turning 30

Jambos_1874

I have just turned 30 and I can't say I'm particularly pleased about it (although I'm of course glad I've made it this far!). If I were a footballer I'd now be classed as a "veteran" and I'd be thinking about retirement. Every single Hearts player bar Alexander is younger than me which is shocking! How did anyone who has passed the 30 year milestone react; depressed at the end of your youth or couldn't give a toss? I am slightly in the latter category but still in shock that I am now actually 30.

I'll be 30 come may and it doesnt bother me. In truth i'm happier than i've ever been, i certainly wouldn't swap with any other time in my life. Y'know that thing where people say "och, i'm 59 but i still feel 21"? Baws. I feel 29 and it's fine.

I went to Barcelona for my 30th, spent my last night in my 20's watching Barcelona win the league in the Nou Camp.

Honestly didn't bother me. If i'll feel the same when i hit 40 is a different matter!!

michael_bolton

I'm going to be 30 on Monday. Last weekend of my twenties coming up. Not overly bothered, but I'm surprised how quickly things have gone since I was at high school. It's flown by. Not a bad thing, I suppose.

I'm going to be 30 on Monday. Last weekend of my twenties coming up. Not overly bothered, but I'm surprised how quickly things have gone since I was at high school. It's flown by. Not a bad thing, I suppose.

That's the scary thing; time has absolutely flown by. I still feel like I'm not long out of high school when in actual fact it was over a decade ago. Even Uni is a distant memory now. Worryingly, speaking to family members, friends etc who are older, they say that time seems to pass even quicker with age. I suppose you have to make the most of every moment!

michael_bolton

That's the scary thing; time has absolutely flown by. I still feel like I'm not long out of high school when in actual fact it was over a decade ago. Even Uni is a distant memory now. Worryingly, speaking to family members, friends etc who are older, they say that time seems to pass even quicker with age. I suppose you have to make the most of every moment!

michael_bolton

I've had a busy twenties, so I don't feel terrible about it. The speed is a bit scary though. I left school thirteen years ago last week.

However, clock is ticking on the twenties, so I'm off to the pub.

Your appreciation of time is relative to how long you've been alive. It's the reason why being told to wait two weeks is a horror to most four year olds - it's about ten percent of their conscious life. Whereas a week to a 30yr old is nothing. I can't remember the exact figures, but the study on this concluded that the years between 4 and 12 account for nearly half your life when viewed this way.

You know the older I get the better life is - kids all grown up and happy, no mortgage, travel a lot, more money than we've ever had and the best thing about getting older is having loads of confidence and that you really don't give a shit what people think of you - growing older? - I love it :)

Just like Jack said to Rose, mate....

I'll be 50 in less than a fortnight, and to tell you the truth, I'm not that bothered, The family are more excited than I am. I didn't think I'd last this long and if the O.P. is right, Neil Alexander is the only player older than my first false leg.

I think I'd feel old if the manager was younger than it, but I never seem to think my age.

"Oh such and such is having a party, is their 50th" and I will think" they cannae be they were in my year at school and I'm, oh!"

My body is knackered but my mind, 95% of the time, is still that of a smutty 12 year old. I am Finbar Saunders.

I'm a kick in the arse off 50 and still feel 25. 30 was when I felt I had grown up. Travel had given me the confidence to forge my own path and my career took a leap because of that confidence.

I have just turned 30 and I can't say I'm particularly pleased about it (although I'm of course glad I've made it this far!). If I were a footballer I'd now be classed as a "veteran" and I'd be thinking about retirement. Every single Hearts player bar Alexander is younger than me which is shocking! How did anyone who has passed the 30 year milestone react; depressed at the end of your youth or couldn't give a toss? I am slightly in the latter category but still in shock that I am now actually 30.

Wait till you turn 60, my 30s were great years.

I'll be 50 in less than a fortnight, and to tell you the truth, I'm not that bothered, The family are more excited than I am. I didn't think I'd last this long and if the O.P. is right, Neil Alexander is the only player older than my first false leg.

I think I'd feel old if the manager was younger than it, but I never seem to think my age.

"Oh such and such is having a party, is their 50th" and I will think" they cannae be they were in my year at school and I'm, oh!"

My body is knackered but my mind, 95% of the time, is still that of a smutty 12 year old. I am Finbar Saunders.

Same here, 50 at the end of the month and not really bothered. I thought turning 30 was s**t because you really weren't 'young' any more, turning 40 was no big deal - maybe I'll have a breakdown when 50 happens.

Got a few wee aches and pains that take longer to clear up and on blood pressure pills but that's it - and if I lost a few stone probably wouldn't even need those.

mulleted_jambo

I turned 30 last year and can't say it changed my life at all. As long as you're still youthful looking enough to pull birds in their early 20's then you'll hardly notice.

I turned 30 last year and can't say it changed my life at all. As long as you're still youthful looking enough to pull birds in their early 20's then you'll hardly notice.

Fortunately I am still pretty young looking so that's one thing in my favour!

chester copperpot

Turned 40 in March and my old man died 12 days later. Was not looking forward to it but it turned out to be a shocker of a month! :lol:

Turning 30...piece of piss!!!! I turn 60 in November, am I worried? nope, just happy to be alive. Anyway, as you age your perception of what worries you at age 30 will probably be radically different at age 60. Just as long as its a NO vote, I'll be happy.

Din't notice any great change at the time, to be honest I was probably going out more in the first year of my 30's than I was at any point in my 20's.

In the couple of years since I would say that growing up has snuck up on my in the couple of years since, I've found myself recently being more excited by developments at work than the thought of a weekend on the booze, even when I am out I'm pretty much sticking to pints in the pub rather than shots in a club.

Biggest change has been recovery, either from exercise/football or from a night out, takes double the amount of time than it did in my 20's!

You know the older I get the better life is - kids all grown up and happy, no mortgage, travel a lot, more money than we've ever had and the best thing about getting older is having loads of confidence and that you really don't give a shit what people think of you - growing older? - I love it :)

This

We dont owe anybody a penny, house paid for, car paid for, only child grown up, travel a lot more, 5 or 6 holidays aborad ever year, its great, been having the time of our lifes the past few years and will continue to do so :smug:

I didn't mind. I'm 37 and I find it daunting that I remember attending my own mothers 40th as a teenager. My lad will be 9 and it's quite a sobering thought. :(

I'm 31.

I'm blessed with boyish good looks though - so people still assume I'm mid-20s

You'll get some good presents for your 30th

I didn't mind. I'm 37 and I find it daunting that I remember attending my own mothers 40th as a teenager. My lad will be 9 and it's quite a sobering thought. :(

I'm 36 and have a 15 year old. ******* terrifying.

Turn 30 was brilliant, its when you turn 31 that it hits you. Pretty much after 30 all your other birthday "parties" are pity parties for yourself. I wouldn't know tho as i'm still 28

I didn't like hitting 30 as it was like I had to stop acting like a bairn.

The only thing I didn't like about turning 40 was watching Hibs beat us 2-1 the night before.

I was a nightmare on the way home. 2 bottles of port and the result turned me into a dick.

I turn 30 in December, can't say I act with the maturity of a 29 year old, nor do I have life as sorted as I expected to at this age (or as sorted as my friends in their late twenties seemed to when I was early twenties). However, that doesn't seem to concern me overly, I'll keep plugging away and these things will fall in to place when the time is right. For those reasons, I'm guessing turning 30 won't affect me as much as it could.

I'm 40 and my daughter is now at Edinburgh University.

That's scary.

Governor Tarkin

When I turned 30 I was in a right strop that my youth and carefree years were over. I couldn't have been more wrong. I've had an absolute ball, and probably my most productive decade. Turn 40 next month and I'm pretty meh about it really, although I'm sure I'll spit the dummy out at some point between now and then.

When I turned 30 I was in a right strop that my youth and carefree years were over. I couldn't have been more wrong. I've had an absolute ball, and probably my most productive decade. Turn 40 next month and I'm pretty meh about it really, although I'm sure I'll spit the dummy out at some point between now and then.

see my post above, 40 is the most overrated age to be, all this 40 is the new 30 crap, life begins at 40; piss off. I see it as a passport to not give a flying fudge. My goal is just to be like Victor Meldrew

http://youtu.be/mLNrLI3OBwg

Governor Tarkin

Marvin, man, you've begun that slow descent into mediocrity too soon. Becoming a crotchety old b'strd is a worthy aim for sure (I have my ear-trumpet stowed in readiness for when the time comes), but I'm not sure I'm ready to throw that towel in and get all Victor Meldrew just yet.

Marvin, man, you've begun that slow descent into mediocrity too soon. Becoming a crotchety old b'strd is a worthy aim for sure (I have my ear-trumpet stowed in readiness for when the time comes), but I'm not sure I'm ready to throw that towel in and get all Victor Meldrew just yet.

meh!

:D

J.T.F.Robertson

Turned 40 in March and my old man died 12 days later. Was not looking forward to it but it turned out to be a shocker of a month! :lol:

When I hit that age it was my mum passed, 13 days after.

I've "celebrated" another couple of those "milestones", since. :(

Just a number.

Pish wrrying about it. Waste of time.

In my mid 40's & that makes me middle aged.

Still do all the things I liked when I was 30 & im still reasonably fit. Still get a stiff one in the morning & although Iam a lot calmer & patient than I was 15-20 years ago, I still shout at the telly!

Its just a number, the world still turns and we are all destined to go doon the hole so enjoy the trip while you are still on the bus!

I'm 30 next summer. I wasn't worried about it until I saw this thread.

So far it's not too bad (I'm 30+1 day)! It's just that burds/younger people often view 30 as some kind of ancient far off age (well, I used to!). I'll now have to focus on burds who are desperate to have a child or are ready to settle down. Your average 30+ Scottish burd ain't that attractive unfortunately!

The fact of turning 30 didn't bother me, I still viewed myself as a young buck. A few years on and the reality is sinking in. When I pick up my Primary 1 kid from school most of the mothers are under 25. If I have a wee look at them I see the rage in their eyes, I'm now regarded as a potential pervert instead of a potential mate.

Archived