110%

Smack

If a price rises from 100 cents to 210 cents, the price has risen 110 percent.

If a footballer claims he has given 110% in his previous game he is wrong. If he claims he will give 110% in his next game he could be on to something. Of course you can only ever perform at 100% of your ability. If we're talking about a future event you could feasibly give 110%

I suspect someone who says they will give 110% is saying that they will be 10% better the next time out. If they were to be 110% better questions would need to be asked as to what the flying **** they were doing playing at 55% of their capacity for so long. I'll conclude by saying that people, myself included, take cliches too seriously especially when we fully understand the intent.

Bridge of Djoum

If a footballer claims he has given 110% in his previous game he is wrong. If he claims he will give 110% in his next game he could be on to something. Of course you can only ever perform at 100% of your ability. If we're talking about a future event you could feasibly give 110%

I suspect someone who says they will give 110% is saying that they will be 10% better the next time out. If they were to be 110% better questions would need to be asked as to what the flying **** they were doing playing at 55% of their capacity for so long. I'll conclude by saying that people, myself included, take cliches too seriously especially when we fully understand the intent.

Ever kissed a girl?

I'm not sure if that's a reference I'm missing or a belittling attack on my thought. I have kissed and indeed impregnated a lady if the latter turns out to be the case.

First time we tried to get pregnant I gave 100% Second time round I was 10% spunkier and mission was accomplished. My performance was 1.1 times better but I didn't give 110%

Bridge of Djoum

I'm not sure if that's a reference I'm missing or a belittling attack on my thought. I have kissed and indeed impregnated a lady if the latter turns out to be the case.

First time we tried to get pregnant I gave 100% Second time round I was 10% spunkier and mission was accomplished. My performance was 1.1 times better but I didn't give 110%

I admire your dedication sir.

cashgenerator

Top work!

:spoton:

This really annoys me.

You can't give 110%. The maximum you can give is 100% of your efforts.

A RISE of 110 percent is different from GIVING 110%. The latter is a figure of speech as you cannot give more than you have. A rise of 110% is a mathematical operand.

BoJack Horseman

I guess it's just one of these things that people say that don't make any logical sense yet you just have to accept the intended meaning of what they are saying based on many years of misuse. If they say they're giving 110%, it means they are going above and beyond in this particular case. Regardless if it's physically possible to go past 100% of you finite ability.

Or so some would say. I also hate it, because it makes no sense.

It gets worse. Players then think they want to give MORE than 110%. They step up to 120%, 200% and I've even heard 1000%.

I've long held this notion that giving 110% IS quantifiable, but as our Kalamazoomian friend observes, it depends upon the base from which that 110% is measured.

F'rinstance - say I expended 10,000J of energy in running a race in P4. If by P5 I'd improved my fitness so that I was able to expend 11000J of energy (and complete the race in a shorter time) I could justifiably state that I had 'given 110%' but only compared to my previous year's effort.

Archived