USA Visa

Guest C00l K1d

Guest C00l K1d

Wondering if anyone can help.

Off to the states for a holiday in november and just went through the whole visa application thing. Applied for a B2 Visa which is a holiday visa.

It then said i had to book an interview at the US embassy, but my girlfriend told me you only need to do that if you're working.

I've then just read up a bit further and apparently we as British citizens qualify for a visa waiver program.

Could anyone who's been recently give me pointers on what i should be doing? Totally confused.

http://london.usembassy.gov/niv/vwp3.html

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest C00l K1d

Yes, there's a visa waiver program that should cover you. Check out the info on this link...

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Thanks mate.

Does that mean the only documents i should require for travel are my passport and tickets?

Assuming there are no documents after the application process you just posted?

Yeah I went over the summer for my honeymoon and it was all registered electronically with their customs agency. We printed off the confirmation and kept reference numbers etc, but we were never asked for them.

Hope this helps.

Complete your esta, as long as you can answer no to all the questions on it that should be all you need.

Lasts for 2 years or until your passport expires whichever comes sooner.

Costs $14 (used to be free)

That should be all you need plus your landing card you complete on the plane.

Thanks for the help.

:)

DO NOT APPLY FOR A TOURIST VISA. They'll wonder why you're applying for a visa and are likely/possible to turn you down. If they do, you're screwed.

Apply for the ESTA. I would also make sure that any paperwork or anything to do with this B2 visa is withdraw before you apply for the ESTA

Just do the ESTA online, it's easy. Make sure you do it through the official link and not a 3rd party who will charge you a premium. Get the proper link through Tripadvisor.

Bridge of Djoum

Did this loads of times before I moved here mate.

Best to have a return ticket when you travel, it saves a lot of hassle as I found out.

As long as you have a valid ESTA, which is about $12-15 I think, and lasts 2 years, you'll be good to travel on the visa waiver programme. That gives you 3 months.

Give me a shout if you have any questions. Happy to help.

Guest C00l K1d

DO NOT APPLY FOR A TOURIST VISA. They'll wonder why you're applying for a visa and are likely/possible to turn you down. If they do, you're screwed.

Apply for the ESTA. I would also make sure that any paperwork or anything to do with this B2 visa is withdraw before you apply for the ESTA

How do i withdraw that?

It's been accepted, the ESTA.

Did this loads of times before I moved here mate.

Best to have a return ticket when you travel, it saves a lot of hassle as I found out.

As long as you have a valid ESTA, which is about $12-15 I think, and lasts 2 years, you'll be good to travel on the visa waiver programme. That gives you 3 months.

Give me a shout if you have any questions. Happy to help.

You might be able to advise - does your passport need to have at least 6 months to go before it expires to visit the US? Or not?

Planning on going in April 2015 for around 10 days. My passport expires end of June 2015.

Already have a valid ESTA as I went to the US in July 2013.

I'm under the impression I'll be fine, but wanted to check.

Guest C00l K1d

Have i completely messed this up?

Am i gonna get kb'd at the airport :facepalm:

Surely it only begins to process once you've had that interview etc?

Bridge of Djoum

How do i withdraw that?

It's been accepted, the ESTA.

Get back on to them as quick as possible to cancel it.

Notoriously bad visas to apply for to be honest. They can be very suspicious over here, Newark being the absolute worst welcome I've ever had anywhere.

Bridge of Djoum

You might be able to advise - does your passport need to have at least 6 months to go before it expires to visit the US? Or not?

Planning on going in April 2015 for around 10 days. My passport expires end of June 2015.

I've found that really depends on airlines mate. Some are ok with it, others need more than 6 months.

Personally I'd apply for a new passport. I'd leave nothing to chance.

Maybe check with the airline you're using and ask their policy. It really is arbitrary when travelling here.

I would renew your passport. Imminent passport expiration can see you denied entry, regardless of visa status.

Bridge of Djoum

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/destination/international/passport.aspx

Quoted here as saying you need 6 months clear on your passport.

Guest C00l K1d

Get back on to them as quick as possible to cancel it.

Notoriously bad visas to apply for to be honest. They can be very suspicious over here, Newark being the absolute worst welcome I've ever had anywhere.

Bridge of Djoum

Panicking now.

Hope i can get this sorted :laugh:

You'll be good mate.

You can have a visa accepted but decide not to travel on it. That's Absolutely fine to do.

Return tickets, valid ESTA, at least a year left on your passport, that's all you'll need.

Good luck.

Keep it simple then. Renew your passport at the start of February. The expiry of your new one will be ten years from the expiry on your old one (they do this up to 6 months) so you won't lose any time on it.

Craig Gordons Gloves

You'll be fine, unless you're planning on absconding and staying here the Esta is all you need and given the amount of UK tourists and people here on business it's always fine. The first 3 months I was here I was on the visa waiver and was only supposed to advise. That was 8 years ago mins! Nobody checks as long as you have a return ticket and you're not a criminal. As stated, renew your passport just to be safe.

You'll be fine, unless you're planning on absconding and staying here the Esta is all you need and given the amount of UK tourists and people here on business it's always fine. The first 3 months I was here I was on the visa waiver and was only supposed to advise. That was 8 years ago mins! Nobody checks as long as you have a return ticket and you're not a criminal. As stated, renew your passport just to be safe.

Re the nobody checks bit- I know all people who have all sorts of hassle with visas etc.. This can be upon entry, and seemingly innocent mistakes with immigration shit coming back to haunt you a while later.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Really? I've never had that with the visitors we've had or the colleagues that have come over. I was probably being too generalistic to be fair.

Really? I've never had that with the visitors we've had or the colleagues that have come over. I was probably being too generalistic to be fair.

I was accused of being a 'permanent visitor' last time I went because is been there 3 times in the last 8 months.

That was on the ESTA.

I'm now on some sort of watch list.

Just booked a weekend there in October for a wedding and slightly concerned about getting KB'd

You don't need 6 months on your passport when you return. The US and UK have a reciprocal arrangement that states its OK.

Source: me travelling to US in April 2013 with a passport that ran out September 2013.

I was accused of being a 'permanent visitor' last time I went because is been there 3 times in the last 8 months.

That was on the ESTA.

I'm now on some sort of watch list.

Just booked a weekend there in October for a wedding and slightly concerned about getting KB'd

I used the ESTA almost continuously for 2 years (leaving for about a week every 90 days). Never once got questioned. Got a nice shiny H1B visa last month though ;)

I've never got a visa going to the states unless I've had to get a work visa. That was a pain in the arse though as I had to have a special interview and pay the UK police for a form stating I had no current criminal record sue to a bit of business involving the police a while back. And when I say a while I mean 30 years.

Panicking now.

Hope i can get this sorted :laugh:

You'll be fine, you'll probably have an American security officer having a good rummage around in your arse

Apart from that you're golden!

I travel up to 10 times a year to the US and only ever use ESTA.

I was told to apply for a visa a few years back by an immigration officer, but didn't bother. I now have Global Entry - (had to go through the usual checks and interviews), which means I can skip the tourist lines at my point of entry. I am also TSA approved for internal flights and don't have to remove shoes, laptop or empty pockets, etc.

I was given TSA approval, and invited to join the GE program through my membership of the United FF scheme.

You don't need 6 months on your passport when you return. The US and UK have a reciprocal arrangement that states its OK.

Source: me travelling to US in April 2013 with a passport that ran out September 2013.

Many/most countries require you to have a passport valid beyond the length of time you're allowed to stay in the country. So if you're allowed to stay three months, and you only have two months left on your passport, that would normally be a problem, because they don't want to deal with you being stuck there without a passport.

OnePaulHartley

taken from the us embassy website here http://london.usembassy.gov/faq-passports.html#niv200

I understand that my passport needs to be valid for at least six months; is this correct?

The requirement that a passport is valid for travel for six months beyond the holder's stay in the United States is waived for certain nationalities, including British Citizens. Please follow this link for further information.

If you are traveling visa free under the Visa Waiver Program and your passport is not valid for 90 days, you will be admitted until the date on which the passport expires.

Guest C00l K1d

Got it all sorted.

The application only becomes 'live' when you go for interview etc.

No bum fondling for me :jjyay:

What are the airports like when you get there? Most likely be flying into JFK

Got it all sorted.

The application only becomes 'live' when you go for interview etc.

No bum fondling for me :jjyay:

What are the airports like when you get there? Most likely be flying into JFK

It once took me 4 hours to get through immigration and customs at JFK.

Guest C00l K1d

4 hours?

:muggy:

I'm guessing it's an airport that never sleeps so to speak. In that there's no quiet periods? Gonna aim to get in about 10 PM.

4 hours?

I'm guessing it's an airport that never sleeps so to speak. In that there's no quiet periods? Gonna aim to get in about 10 PM.

Depends. Have had very long waits at other airports, and it can feel like a bit of a lottery. Although it basically comes down to how many staff are working (10pm probably a shite time for that!) and how many other flights have just landed- and where from (you don't want to land at same time as flights from places which prompt more scrutiny, such as Central America or the Middle East).

Mac_fae_Gillie

ONE WORD OF WARNING

US customs take forever.........if you got a connecting flight expect delays at point of entry as you pass immigration at large hub airport 3hours is normal..

and they got no sense of humour.

I almost always use Newark as my entry point and the worst wait I have had is less than 1 hour. This was when arriving at the same time as flights from Paris, London. Manchester, Cardiff and Belfast. As Peebo says, expect more scrutiny when arriving at the same time as flights from Middle East and Africa. The US office of homeland security have no problem in being racist particularly thorough towards those not perceived to be 'friends of the west'

JFK can be touch and go, depending on whioch airline, and which terminal, you arrive into. The late night transfer to Manhattan is easy though, at about 30 mins.

I have waited a lot longer at San Francisco when arriving alongside many flights from Asia and South America.

4 hours?

When you check in online get a seat as near to the exit door as possible. When you get off scamper to the queue - when you are doing this - keep in mind that every person you overtake in this part of the journey is a person who at a minimum will hold you up by 3-5 mins if you don't get past them.

Don't run though - just a fast walk.

In terms of busy periods - you may get lucky - you may not. If there are 3 or 4 plans arriving at a similar time as yours then expect the worst

Took me the best part of 2 hours to get through customs at Houston last year. Everyone in front of me in the queue seemed to have difficultly getting through. One lad got a proper grilling from the officer on the desk for not filling in his form properly.

I stepped up. Smiled. He saw I was from Scotland. Let me through after about 20 seconds of informal chit chat :smug:

Carl Fredrickson

Only been to America once and flew into Orlando International. We were the only flight - arriving at about 6.30pm and we had about an hours wait as we were slow off the plane. The Security staff were very professional but nice with it. Dont give them cheek, dont try to be funny and make sure the form you fill in on the plane is accurate.

Took me the best part of 2 hours to get through customs at Houston last year. Everyone in front of me in the queue seemed to have difficultly getting through. One lad got a proper grilling from the officer on the desk for not filling in his form properly.

I stepped up. Smiled. He saw I was from Scotland. Let me through after about 20 seconds of informal chit chat :smug:

I'm in and out Houston every few months. Strange place. Been straight through in under 10 mins, been stuck for 3-4 hours. Just depends on what time of day you get there. They do have a strange method of opening and closing customs desks when it's busy for no apparent reason though...

I tend to try and fly through Dublin as you do the US immigration there.

I'd recommend this too - you get it out of the way and can sit back and enjoy your flight.

I'm in and out Houston every few months. Strange place. Been straight through in under 10 mins, been stuck for 3-4 hours. Just depends on what time of day you get there. They do have a strange method of opening and closing customs desks when it's busy for no apparent reason though...

Yup. Seemingly random at times.

And since I've had a green card, the residents line seems to take longer...

I quite regularly get through customs quicker than my bird who is in the US citizens line in Boston.

Luck of the draw though

Are you in Oil & Gas Peebo? We have some equipment stored in Houston which I am trying to sell if you are interested, can send you details if you PM me an email address.

Archived