Trouble Outside

Sooperstar

really? Have they thought about the different walks of life that go to football , shall we say?

Bit silly really. I know it's all about freedom of speech but again you have to use common sense. But there's not a lot of that around these days it seems.

Please explain.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The referendum isb the biggest thing to happen in Scotland's history for years.

Not having a presence in an area with over 10000 voters would be silly IMO.

I don't even think it's mixing football and politics, it's just sheer numbers.

I don't even think it's mixing football and politics,

Football supporters handing out political leaflets to other football supporters on their way to a football match.

Buffalo Bill

Can I just point out that McLeod Street and Gorgie Road are PUBLIC SPACES for both 'Yes' and 'No' campaigners to campaign freely.

"AYE BUT THEY SHOODNAE BE ALLOWED TA DAY AT THE FIBAW"

I think that's an excellent point.

I don't. The BNP have as much right as anyone else to hand out leaflets near the ground. I'd expect them to be rightly ridiculed but I wouldn't agree with any aggressive actions towards them.

How far away would campaigners need to be for the people who say they shouldnt be 'at' the football? 100yds from the ground? A mile?

Just wondering, are we going to have weekly threads on fighting/political campaigning/fuds?

I'd imagine it'll depend on what's been happening on any given day..... got a better idea?

It's all getting seriously silly - personally speaking I can't wait till it's all over and we can all get back to being nice to each other again!

Fly the Saltire

Yes campaigners based themselves at the junction between McLeod Street and Gorgie Road. Saw one young lad go up, take a Yes poster and rip it up in front of them. My mate has just arrived and said he witnessed another guy go up and, unprovoked, smacked one of the yes campaigners in the face before telling him that voting yes was equivalent to doing a Nazi salute.

Clowns.

The problem the Yes campaign has had from day one is that the Media and TV coverage is anti Scottish self determination and will never report issues or incidents that reflect badly on the vested interests including Westminste MPs that support the status quo that has failed Scotland for the last 100 years

Broxburn Jambo

Door to door campaigning is happening from both sides, as it should. The question as to why you were voting No would be so they could have a debate with you and perhaps change your mind. Do you think this is wrong on some way?

I made them quite aware that I was not a floating voter

I perfectly respect their right to be there. But having a right to do something and exercising that right is different, and in my opinion they shouldn't have been there.

It slightly wound me up, but I kept quiet and walked on. Any moron who engages in violence as a response is an idiot however.

I'd imagine it'll depend on what's been happening on any given day..... got a better idea?

Naw, we'll just let them bash on.

I perfectly respect their right to be there. But having a right to do something and exercising that right is different, and in my opinion they shouldn't have been there.

It slightly wound me up, but I kept quiet and walked on. Any moron who engages in violence as a response is an idiot however.

How does that work then?

I passed the Yes campaigners on my way in.

They didn't seem to be approaching anyone .

It seemed to me that people were going up to THEM for stickers posters etc.

Be glad when its all over its sad to see such divisions among fellow Scots and Hearts fans.

Both sides were respectfully asked not to use the game as an arena to canvas. As far as I am aware the No campaign observed this. Handing out leaflets with a maroon Yes was pure tribalism. The Yes supporters on here would have just as outraged if maroon No leaflets had been handed out in the same manner. Never saw any violence but I witnessed two Hearts Yes supporters shouting abuse after one fan told the leafleters to keep politics away from sport.

How does that work then?

I guess the difference between legality and morality.

Edit: I should for neutrality add that the presence of Union Jacks being waved at them is equally legitimate but unnecessary and inflammatory.

In the pub in Lithgae after the game me and a mate both jambos were discussing vote both yes, boy talking golf with other mate butted in to tell us Alec Salmond was Hitler and left the company. Asked my golfer mate is that boy a hun? Yes was the answer is anyone who is not in the lodge or a hun voting no?

MacDonald Jardine
In the pub in Lithgae after the game me and a mate both jambos were discussing vote both yes, boy talking golf with other mate butted in to tell us Alec Salmond was Hitler and left the company. Asked my golfer mate is that boy a hun? Yes was the answer is anyone who is not in the lodge or a hun voting no?

Yes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

MacDonald Jardine

Yes.

Keith Talent

Genuinely quite incredible that some people think attacking a few folk handing out leaflets in McLeod St is acceptable. Really aye?

Both sides were respectfully asked not to use the game as an arena to canvas.

Well, that's not true.

I made them quite aware that I was not a floating voter

Aw, did the bad people speak to you? Oh no. How awful.

Yes I am

Yes.

Thanks Lord Foulkes , I heard you the first time .

Rule Britannia was getting belted out by a couple of boys as they walked past the YES stall when i left the Tynie Arms to go to the match, i may add that these boys singing "Rule Britannia" had no Hearts colours on but i could make out their knuckles dragging around the ground behind them.

. Maybe the dregs from the Orange walk earlier.

MacDonald Jardine
Genuinely quite incredible that some people think attacking a few folk handing out leaflets in McLeod St is acceptable. Really aye?

Absolutely not. It's those who see no contradiction between the argument that politics have no place in football but having a stall apparently mainly staffed by Hearts fans advocating a political position outside Tynecastle I find difficult to understand.

Both sides were respectfully asked not to use the game as an arena to canvas. As far as I am aware the No campaign observed this. Handing out leaflets with a maroon Yes was pure tribalism. The Yes supporters on here would have just as outraged if maroon No leaflets had been handed out in the same manner. Never saw any violence but I witnessed two Hearts Yes supporters shouting abuse after one fan told the leafleters to keep politics away from sport.

When did Hearts ask anyone not to campaign? I don't understand your tribalism reference as the same leaflets were handed out (wrongly in my opinion) with Hibs badges at the Derby. Keep politics away from sport does not in my opinion mean that you cannot engage people in political debate just because they happen to be going to a sporting event.

Absolutely not. but having a stall apparently mainly staffed by Hearts fans advocating a political position outside Tynecastle I find difficult to understand.

How do you know they are Hearts fans?

Guest Trapper John

I go the the game to get away from this referendum bullshit for a while... then to see it at Tynie whether for Yes or No and seeing this thread hits home how divisive this whole thing has been. Thank God it's over in three weeks. But I suppose it won't really be over.

MacDonald Jardine
How do you know they are Hearts fans?

Previous posts have said they were mostly wearing Hearts colours.

Guest C00l K1d

Are hearts fans not allowed to have political opinions on a matchday like?

These stalls are mainly staffed by volunteers, does it not make sense for hearts fans who've been at the match to do a wee bit of flyering after the game if there's gonna be a stall in gorgie?

Again, this was all outside the ground and had no affiliation to the club at all. Apart from some of them being hearts fans.

Previous posts have said they were mostly wearing Hearts colours.

I wouldn't read to much into that bud,obviously a cunning ploy to mingle and get more leaflets passed out :unsure:

Guest Trapper John

There were UKIP guys handing out No stuff outside Ryries today at around 2pm. I wondered who they hell they were at first.

Am I the only person on here who couldn't give a shit who was campaigning outside the stadium today??

Don't agree with the violence shown, but as has been shown already from both sides of the debate, arseholes will be arseholes, whether outside a football match or in a shopping precinct.

MacDonald Jardine
I wouldn't read to much into that bud,obviously a cunning ploy to mingle and get more leaflets passed out :unsure:

Aye very good. The point remains that people are using Hearts colours for political purposes. My impression is that was frowned upon on here at least.

Barney Rubble

jings crivvens help ma boab! some blokes handing out leaflets at a football match , call the armed guard!

• Moderators

There is a thread in the Shed for referendum debate. If we have to remove any more off topic posts from this thread the members who post them will be warned or suspended and the thread will be closed.

Thread closed.

Archived